Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ubuntu With Windows 7 partition

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 4, 2012 5:53:40 AM

I'm wanting to switch to Ubuntu from Windows 7, and I realized that not all games can run on linux even when using wine, so I want to have a windows partition to run my games off of. My question is, How large of a partition do I need for windows 7(its like 3-4 gb) just to run the games, I was thinking If I still install the games on my ubuntu partition but I'm not sure if I would need to leave extra space on the windows partition.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2012 5:59:52 AM

You wouldn't be able to install the games on the Ubuntu partition, so the Windows partition would have to be big enough to contain them as well as Windows itself. I would say, offhand, that you need at least 30GB for Windows plus whatever space the games need. Then add another 20% as Windows needs that much free space.

The good news is that Ubuntu itself only requires 20GB or so, plus whatever you need for data.
December 4, 2012 4:03:32 PM

Ijack said:
You wouldn't be able to install the games on the Ubuntu partition, so the Windows partition would have to be big enough to contain them as well as Windows itself. I would say, offhand, that you need at least 30GB for Windows plus whatever space the games need. Then add another 20% as Windows needs that much free space.

The good news is that Ubuntu itself only requires 20GB or so, plus whatever you need for data.

Thanks man, I guess this will take a little bit of planning out which games I want, Since I have 2 hard drives I guess the best way to do this would be have ubuntu on one and windows on the other
December 4, 2012 8:32:16 PM

Best answer selected by jkrules22.
!