Vista Upgrade whoas

G

So I am trying to upgrade from XP Pro to Vista 32 bit and it won't give me the option to upgrade (the option is grayed out).

I just don't understand. I recieved the XP version from the college I attended. It doesn't say educational version but is there such a thing and would that cause the problem? I am at a loss about what to do next. I am running on a clean install and can not activate because it is a clean install not the upgrade I purchased.

My time here is ending soon and although I know I have to reinstall at some point I want to have all the answers before I start.

My upgrade has both 32 and 64 bit disks and I am using the 32 bit upgrade disk to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Scotteq
03-31-2009 at 08:43:25 AM

Make a new partition and do a clean install to that.

Also - It is generally advised to start a new thread when you have a problem of your own, rather than resurrect a dead thread or divert attention from someone else's issue to yours.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/237731-44-problem-upgrading-vista-ultimate#t869132

So true Scotteg, I was a tad single minded.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. I have a clean install of Vista on a partition (Ubuntu is on the other) and when I want to activate it, MS said I had purchased an upgrade and would need to purchase a full version to activate a clean install. I want to avoid this when it comes time to try again.

G

I think I've found an article
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/clean-install-workaround-for-vista-upgrade-discovered/

I have 11 days to try it on this install. :D

@ Anonymous

To take advantage of the upgrade path at some point you have to insert an official Microsoft installation disk of the OP/SYS you're upgrading, keycodes mean nothing its looking for a genuine Microsoft product or the upgrade path is disabled.

You could probably go back as far as an official Win95 installation CD and the upgrade path will open for you, do you have any friends that would give you an old installation disk? Ask and see you might get lucky.