Need to know whats wrong

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have an e6400, no longer oc'd, being cooled by a scythe infinity cooler with a higher rpm fan, a gigabyte ds3 mobo and an antec 550 psu. A while ago I had it oc'd to 3.33 ghz stable and about 36-40 degrees C idle and 54-something under load (I don't remember the exact temps it was a while ago. Then my oc's became unstable and I had to go down to stock and it was still very hot. Now this is what is going on. My case fans don't always turn on, my cpu get VERY hot, 40 something idle with the case open and on its side. When the fans aren't going it can reach 60 degrees. I have no idea what is wrong and I don't know what new parts to buy. Does anyone have any advice?

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Nope nothing at all is changed because I was having so many problems that I thought if I set everything back to what its supposed to be it would be fine.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Guess what, summer is almost summer. So, it might be nothing wrong with your system. Have you changed the BIOS?
Because after I upgraded it from F10 to F11, BIOS was displaying 7'C higher temperatures than before.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Make sure the case fans are connected to a regular 12V supply line from the PSU, not a "FAN-only" connector. Fan-only connectors undervolt if the PSU isn't too hot, but that says little about what heat load is on the CPU.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I don't think it would go up 10-20 degrees just because its summer. It's 48 degrees now and the room I'm in isnt that hot. But even so that doesn't explain the fan thing.

Mondoman

Splendid
... A while ago I had it oc'd to 3.33 ghz stable and about 36-40 degrees C idle and 54-something under load ... Then my oc's became unstable and I had to go down to stock and it was still very hot....
This certainly suggests that something got damaged, presumably due to the OC (remember, "stable OC" doesn't mean damage isn't being caused -- a 50% overclock is pretty substantial).
Check the MB for any bulging/leaking/burst electrolytic capacitors (the little "aluminum can" caps). If it's not the MB (and I'm guessing it might not be), it's likely your CPU. Swapping in a cheap sckt 775 CPU should at least tell you if the MB is OK.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Its two fans so I doubt it would be both of them when i never had problems before. I also updated the bios before and nothing happened. I'd put in a new psu/cpu/mobo but I don't have any spare parts and I hoped I could figure out what was wrong before I started to spend money.

sounds like the problem is the power supply.

I have an e6400, no longer oc'd, being cooled by a scythe infinity cooler with a higher rpm fan, a gigabyte ds3 mobo and an antec 550 psu. A while ago I had it oc'd to 3.33 ghz stable and about 36-40 degrees C idle and 54-something under load (I don't remember the exact temps it was a while ago. Then my oc's became unstable and I had to go down to stock and it was still very hot. Now this is what is going on. My case fans don't always turn on, my cpu get VERY hot, 40 something idle with the case open and on its side. When the fans aren't going it can reach 60 degrees. I have no idea what is wrong and I don't know what new parts to buy. Does anyone have any advice?