Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Online update fails for several programs

Last response: in Windows XP
February 21, 2009 6:49:45 PM

Good day all,

I have malwarebytes antimalware, ad- adware and spybot search and destroy installed in Windows xp service pack 2, 32 bit.

All 3 has problems updating with the following error messages:

malwarebytes - update failed. Make sure you are connected to the internet and your firewall is set to allow
malwarebytes anti-malware to access teh internet.

ad- adware - connection error, check your settings.

spybot search and destroy - not seeing new updates.

Also when I search the problems online the, I am denied access to the support pages for those problems. The web page is not being displayed just as if I don't have internet access.

I tried downloading msn messenger live, the latest version. but I am not getting to. The web page is not being displayed after I click the download button. same problem with other microsoft updates. eg. internet explorer 8 beta. I can't download it. Even when I get the setup file for Windows live messenger from another site , and I launch setup, its telling me that I am not connected to the internet.

I disabled the firewall , reinstalled the applications. I ran virus scans with and updated symantec antivirus.These didn't solve it.

Can anyone help me with this?
February 22, 2009 6:56:18 AM

Ensure that Symantec isn't blocking these programs. If it isn't, then you may have a piece of malware that prevents those applications from updating themselves. The fact that you cannot access the support pages strongly suggests to me that you are indeed infected with something. Check your Hosts file and it wouldn't hurt to run a scan with HiJackThis.
February 22, 2009 10:32:01 AM

It isn't the symantec. I ran the hijackthis but I am still not able to determine which of the entries that I have to delete to fix this problem. Is there anything in particular is should be looking for in the hosts file?

Related resources
February 22, 2009 2:30:39 PM

If there's any entries in there at all that you or your antivirus have not added, remove them. The Hosts file should have almost nothing in it.
February 22, 2009 3:50:32 PM

ok. well from hijackthis, I did get some items that i never put and the host file is almost empty. I searched to see if any of the entries were giving an indication of the problem at hand, but there is nothing. What other possible solution might there be?
February 24, 2009 10:58:25 PM

Problem solved. I had to use a manual universal DNS server address in the Local Area Connection for both primary and alternate.

Thanks again
March 19, 2009 7:50:17 PM

hey anesh16, im having the same problem with my programs. I don't understand what you mean by using a manual universal DNS server in the local area connection. Can you please help me out?
March 20, 2009 1:15:28 AM


Go to your LAN connection and right click and go to properties. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties

Click the option 'Use the following DNS server addresses'

try this DNS address for primary - and alternate

Click ok and close it off. Now try it and let me know your results.

Hope it works!
March 20, 2009 4:45:48 PM

Hi again, thanks for the quick reply. I tried doing that but I'm still having the problem. Right now my Malwarebyte's program won't start, Spybot Search and Destroy won't install and Adaware and AVG won't update. I'm so lost with this. I've tried reinstalling the programs and I've done a full scan with AVG and Adaware in safe mode but still no luck. I suspect that some kind of virus/spyware is messing up these programs but I'm not sure.