Sign in with
Your question

Overclock: ASUS P5B Deluxe and C2D E6600 - Check my Voltages

Last response: in Overclocking
May 26, 2007 11:04:50 PM

Hi!

I just OCed my PC for the first time using the guide for OCing C2D found here at Tom's. I OCed a E6600 to 3.0 Ghz (bus speed 333 and CPU multiplier 9) on a P5B Deluxe and I would like to know your opinions regarding my voltages on this particular set.

CPU vCore: 1.4v
FSB termination: 1.4v
NB vCore: 1.45v
SB vCore (SATA, PCIe): 1.60
RAM: auto

These are the recomendations of the C2D guide and they also respect the safe limits on the OCing guide from Toms Hardware. For the RAM (Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4-4-4-12) I left the voltage set to auto.

Should I try to reduce some of the voltages on this setting?

I haven't run any tests yet but I will follow the testing procedures in the C2D OCing guide.

Your help would be very appreciated since I don't want to damage my system and I run it 24/7!

Thank you!
May 27, 2007 12:49:16 AM

Run the stress tests and monitor temps, etc. If you're stable, then the goal is ALWAYS to try to get your volts down as much as possible while maintaining stability. So start dropping them a notch or two, then run stress tests and monitoring again. If stable, then another notch or two down......repeat until you're no longer stable/get errors, then back up a notch. Do final 24 hour stress test and if stable, then you're good!
May 27, 2007 3:34:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. If eventually I stick to these voltages do you think they're too high?

Also, I have the RAM voltage set to automatic. Should I change them manually? The P5B Deluxe recognizes the ram speeds so I suppose it sets RAM voltage accordingly in AUTO?

Thanks!
Related resources
May 27, 2007 4:21:57 PM

You really dont need much over stock voltages at 333 FSB with the E6600 on the P5B Deluxe unless its a lesser quality CPU.
your termination voltage should come down and only needed when you push the FSB hard.
At 400 FSB I only need 1.3 volts FSB Termination and 1.4 volts at 450 FSB
Your Ram volts should follow specs from corsair
I would set this manually.
Follw skyguy's advise and stress test for stability
May 27, 2007 4:47:50 PM

Ya, I stay away from Auto.....always set to Manual. I've had some weird $h!t happen to my overclock when things were set to Auto. Not good.
May 27, 2007 6:51:08 PM

Hum...I know that my mem is 1.8 at 533 and 2.1 at 800, but I don't have a clue as to waht voltage should I use at 667. Any ideas?

Thanks!
May 27, 2007 7:04:52 PM

It depends on your latency.
If your running 4 4 4 12 @ 667 (well below the rams capabilities )
1.8 to 1.95 volts.
If you run 4 3 X X you may have to bump up the voltage to 2.1
the p5b dosnt respond well to CAS3 although the ram is capable the bandwidth on this board will drop slightly at CAS3.
Like mentioned earlier you have to bench your system to see how stable you are and determine what voltage settings are nessesary to maintain stability
!