Vista/SoundBlaster Issue

metalweenis

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I have a SoundBlaster SE with Vista SP1. Ever since upgrading to Vista from XP, my sound tends to be 'limited' when playing from speakers or headphones. It's hard to explain...the sound is good and all but it sort of cuts out as if it's being limited somehow. It will be loud for one minute and sound ok but when a big bass hit comes the volume will get lower then go back up. Most people probably wouldn't notice or mention it but I like to have good sound. I'm quite sure it's a Vista thing, I've tried all possible settings that I know of but to no avail. Also tried multiple programs, using Winamp ATM. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so how can I fix it? I'm sure it's just simple setting. My friend also has a XFI-Gamer card and he has the same issue.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
i've thrown in the trash 4 Creative sound cards over the years - every Creative card i've ever owned. Despite my buying their top-end (at time of purchase) card every time, the very next Windows release has been unsupported each time. Creative is now on my personal (and professional) Forbidden Vendors list.

I would assume you have not installed Creative Alchemy for your soundcard right, as it is available for not only your soundcard but your friends also, I believe yours is Creative Alchemy 1.25.10, try installing it and see what happens, it was designed for Vista.

Could you not have learned from at least the first 2 Creative sound cards or maybe the third purchase? But you went on and bought a fourth Creative sound card WHY????????????????????????

When Creative released Alchemy for Vista, the problems disappeared.

I've purchased at least 7 Creative sound cards all the way back to the PCI 128, and guess what?

None of them went in the trash.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
isn't it amusing how if you say "I tried it X times", someone in the cheap seats always says "Well I would have only tried it X-1 times"... hahahaha *eyeroll*

I purchased each card because i wanted the features of each one. The difference now is that I refuse to be treated the way that Creative treats customers. Lack of drivers is far from the only problem with Creative Labs.

Alchemy, by the way, fixes problems only for some things (some games), for a few recent cards, and hasn't been updated in a year. (Not to mention that it is a sorry method of resolving the problem).

It is certainly fine - for you - that you've been satisfied with Creative and their products. Your bar is simply set lower than mine.

i've thrown in the trash 4 Creative sound cards over the years - every Creative card i've ever owned. Despite my buying their top-end (at time of purchase) card every time, the very next Windows release has been unsupported each time. Creative is now on my personal (and professional) Forbidden Vendors list.

I stated earlier, the Creatve Labs Soundblaster SE was created for Windows XP. Vista renders sound differently through the hardware (Soundblaster SE) than Windows XP does. Creative Labs issued a Vista driver and subsequent Vista drivers/software that made the Soundblaster SE compatible with Vista. This is more than other company's did to make their sound products adapt to Vista as 4Ryan6 has pointed out. I use a Soundblaster Audigy with a Vista 32 Os and it works fine with the latest Creative driver as I stated OP should use. The EAX console is not fully functional, but no need to throw the card in the trash. That is not necessarty and just spreads FUD. The latest release Vista compatible Creative Labs card are more than adequate state of art products. Not defending Creative Labs for their lack of attention regarding customer service, but you should know what you are talking about before stating to others Creative lab sound cards should be tossed in the trash. I still use my two audigy cards every day.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/44785,creative-alchemy-fixes-vista-sound.aspx

Yes, It is quite amusing it took you 4 cards to finally come to your assumption.

So, Where was your bar set then?

However, if you have a VIA chipset, you can still throw that Creative card in the trash... the infamous crackling with Creative cards on VIA chipsets still existed as of the Audigy 2... and that issue has kept me from purchasing another Creative card... despite the fact I now have an nVidia board.

Well after I got through with Snap, Crackle and Pop they were none too happy with me... but I told them I just couldn't deal with that kind of crap in my games. I gave them a couple of chances, but I ended up having to snap Snap, crack Crackle and pop Pop. I don't think they'll ever be the same.

HMMM? Seems to me your problem is really with VIA chipsets, I do remember owning a VIA chipset M/B around 2002, and do recall Rice Krispys with a Creative Live 5.1 Sound card and I believe that was like 7 years ago.

Man I sure am glad I forgot about that Zoron, or I'd have missed out on all the great Creative sound card upgrades I've enjoyed since then.

But what about the Creative cards today, not 4, 5, 6, or 7 years ago, I've always thought it best to own what you gripe and complain about, at least then you have first hand experience, and know what you're talking about.

If I bashed the Creative sound cards I presently own, I would have to lie to do it, because they're crystal clear and worth every freakin penny!