25thID_stealth

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Sup everyone,

I recently just spent 4 months a basic training and I just got home to pc that is out-dated with fairly cheap parts (mainly the Motherboard, HDD, Vid card). The Processor is a Intel Pentium D 950 3.4 ghz and is fairly good on F.E.A.R of course my cheap vid card drags it down. I have somewhat a fairly good knowledge on building pc's as build the last just had to on a budget. I know what I want to do (as all gamers do, of course money limits that). I just want to get some advice on upgrading. It will only be a few parts at a time but heres my list and would really like to get some feedback on these.

Memory

Motherboard

OS

HDD

Case

Now of course I wont be buying these all at once since Im a budget. I dont want to upgrade to vista just yet due to the fact that I have it on my laptop and its just to glitchy and hogs a lot of memory. Thanks for any help.

Why don't you upgrade the video card first, since that's the part that's dragging you down? What kind of card do you have now?

How much RAM do you have?

I suspect that upgrading to 2 GB of RAM and an 8800 GTS 320 MB would get you the best bang for the buck. Tell us more about your current PC, including the PSU.

25thID_stealth

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Well because the first thing I really need to upgrade is the motherboard. Due to the fact that it maxes out at 2 gigs of ram and is a cheap made ASrock motherboard. This thing was like 50 bucks when I bought it and has a PCI-Ex that only runs at 4 x (also has an AGP slot) but if I get a new motherboard ill need a new HDD since im using a PATA one at the moment. Basicly I need to upgrade a good bit of hardware but the question is where to start.

PSU: Ultra SLi certified 500 watt
Processor: Intel Pentium D 950 3.4 GHZ preslor
Memory:1 gig ddr2 533
Vid card: Ati Sapphire Radeon x850xt
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
HDD: 80 gig WD PATA 100... (dont really remember all of the stats on it)
Motherboard:Asrock 775Dual-880pro

Sorry man, bad news. You're better off saving money until you can get a new system all at once. Three reasons:

1. components get faster (or larger, etc.) over time, for the same cash
2. fewer compatibility issues if all pieces are in stores at the same time
3. If you upgrade a piece at a time you have to make sure each new piece is compatible with what you have already, even if what you have already will go to the garbage bin soon later. This limits your choices a lot.

25thID_stealth

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Thats why I always, always plan ahead on my projects. Thanks for the advice, I am gratfull. Thats the reason I chose the MOBO I did. Becuase it is not only compatible with my current processor and even RAM, its compatible with new Core 2's. What Ill do is save until I can get the pc up and running. Mobo, ram, HDD, and OS ( I dont have a copy of Xp). My power supply is good for right now, ill get a new one when I upgrade to a new vid card. Eventually their will be nothing left of my original pc anyways but I dont have a problem as Im not a "Hardcore Gamer"