server behind a university router

dccool879

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I'm behind a router at my university, and I'd like to host a small webserver. I have heard of ssh tunneling to get around, but I think it is different than this idea. I'll draw a picture...
Untitled.png

It might be confusing.
So my server in my dorm and server at my house have made a tunnel or a connection. Is there a way that the dude could go through my home server and get to my dorm server by the use of the tunnel, but then have my server send the data straight to him? I guess not because if he is behind a firewall? So would I have to have the data sent back to him go through the home server again, thus slowing down speeds to w/e my home connection is, and making it kind of pointless to host a server in my dorm if i could just do it at my house?

riser

Illustrious
If you're transferring data, check into Active FTP but using a common port number instead.
The Univ blocks incoming requests but if your computer sends a request out to him, he'll get the data.

Have him try to start a session via Active FTP, then your computer connects to his computer - Instead of him connecting to you, you connect to him.

Active FTP - that might work for you.

dccool879

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
i was thinking a game server and or a web server. I'd be fine with ssh tunneling, but that cuts down the bandwidth like crazy. are there any alternatives?