Can't clear history of Taskbar's Address Toolbar

I cleared everything from IE and the Start Menu, but this has no effect on
the Taskbar's Address Toolbar.

How to I clear the Address Toolbar history?
7 answers Last reply
More about clear history taskbar address toolbar

    Ex Terra <no@email.org> wrote in news:nLmle.18821$wr.4448@clgrps12:

    > I cleared everything from IE and the Start Menu, but this has no
    > effect on the Taskbar's Address Toolbar.
    >
    > How to I clear the Address Toolbar history?

    OK, it looks like I am able to clear the http addresses but I can't find
    any way to completely clear the AutoComplete History (i.e. if I type the
    letter "a" I get a list of items I was previously searching for on the hard
    drive beginning with the letter "a").

    How do I clear the Address Toolbar AutoComplete History?

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:58:44 GMT, Ex Terra wrote:

    > Ex Terra <no@email.org> wrote in news:nLmle.18821$wr.4448@clgrps12:
    >
    >> I cleared everything from IE and the Start Menu, but this has no
    >> effect on the Taskbar's Address Toolbar.
    >>
    >> How to I clear the Address Toolbar history?
    >>

    > OK, it looks like I am able to clear the http addresses but I can't find
    > any way to completely clear the AutoComplete History (i.e. if I type the
    > letter "a" I get a list of items I was previously searching for on the hard
    > drive beginning with the letter "a").
    >
    > How do I clear the Address Toolbar AutoComplete History?

    Internet Options> Content> AutoComplete. There are two buttons. One clears
    form data. The other clears username/password entries. After using this
    anything that IE keeps track of will be cleared.

    There are some websites, such as Google, that store their autocomplete info
    separate from this. Scroll down to "History - Clear" on the following page
    to find out how to find and remove this kind of history:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi,
    Try CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/
    and/or
    MRU-Blaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html
    Both freeware.

    Don
    [MS MVP- IE/OE]

    Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in news:u#wIGhhYFHA.3096
    @TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

    Thanks for the reply, but, that's exactly how I cleared the web pages from
    the Taskbar's Address Toolbar AutoComplete History.

    I searched the registry and the hard drive and that's when I realized only
    some of the names matched my old searches. By examining each name, I have
    determined they are mostly actual files and shortcuts on my Windows
    Desktop, which is unexpected behaviour at best (I rate it as a bug).

    There is nothing in the docs or the MSKB about this bug, so I don't see any
    way to fix it, other than completely disabling AutoComplete, which defeats
    the purpose of the whole exercise (clear the history completely, instead of
    only partly).

    Oh, well, that's so typical of my Windows experience, I won't bother
    wasting any more time on the bug.

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 22:00:11 GMT, Ex Terra wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply, but, that's exactly how I cleared the web pages from
    > the Taskbar's Address Toolbar AutoComplete History.
    >
    > I searched the registry and the hard drive and that's when I realized only
    > some of the names matched my old searches. By examining each name, I have
    > determined they are mostly actual files and shortcuts on my Windows
    > Desktop, which is unexpected behaviour at best (I rate it as a bug).
    >
    > There is nothing in the docs or the MSKB about this bug, so I don't see any
    > way to fix it, other than completely disabling AutoComplete, which defeats
    > the purpose of the whole exercise (clear the history completely, instead of
    > only partly).

    When the address bar is on the taskbar, it is an IE address bar. Clearing
    this internet history will not clean out other history maintained for
    windows locations (run box, recent documents, etc). If you want to clear
    those history items as well, use Taskbar/Start Menu properties> Start Menu>

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  7. cfneumann said:
    But, where are those URL's kept?

    You are posting on a 5 year old thread. If you want more help, you may want to start a new thread.

Taskbar Start Menu Microsoft Internet Explorer Windows XP