Can't clear history of Taskbar's Address Toolbar

Tags:
  • Taskbar
  • Start Menu
  • Microsoft
  • Internet Explorer
  • Windows XP
May 26, 2005 8:24:51 PM

I cleared everything from IE and the Start Menu, but this has no effect on
the Taskbar's Address Toolbar.

How to I clear the Address Toolbar history?

More about : clear history taskbar address toolbar

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:58:44 PM

Ex Terra <no@email.org> wrote in news:nLmle.18821$wr.4448@clgrps12:

> I cleared everything from IE and the Start Menu, but this has no
> effect on the Taskbar's Address Toolbar.
>
> How to I clear the Address Toolbar history?

OK, it looks like I am able to clear the http addresses but I can't find
any way to completely clear the AutoComplete History (i.e. if I type the
letter "a" I get a list of items I was previously searching for on the hard
drive beginning with the letter "a").

How do I clear the Address Toolbar AutoComplete History?
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:58:45 PM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:58:44 GMT, Ex Terra wrote:

> Ex Terra <no@email.org> wrote in news:nLmle.18821$wr.4448@clgrps12:
>
>> I cleared everything from IE and the Start Menu, but this has no
>> effect on the Taskbar's Address Toolbar.
>>
>> How to I clear the Address Toolbar history?
>>

> OK, it looks like I am able to clear the http addresses but I can't find
> any way to completely clear the AutoComplete History (i.e. if I type the
> letter "a" I get a list of items I was previously searching for on the hard
> drive beginning with the letter "a").
>
> How do I clear the Address Toolbar AutoComplete History?

Internet Options> Content> AutoComplete. There are two buttons. One clears
form data. The other clears username/password entries. After using this
anything that IE keeps track of will be cleared.

There are some websites, such as Google, that store their autocomplete info
separate from this. Scroll down to "History - Clear" on the following page
to find out how to find and remove this kind of history:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi,
Try CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/
and/or
MRU-Blaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html
Both freeware.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Ex Terra" wrote in message news:nLmle.18821$wr.4448@clgrps12...
> I cleared everything from IE and the Start Menu, but this has no effect on
> the Taskbar's Address Toolbar.
>
> How to I clear the Address Toolbar history?
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:00:11 AM

Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in news:u#wIGhhYFHA.3096
@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

Thanks for the reply, but, that's exactly how I cleared the web pages from
the Taskbar's Address Toolbar AutoComplete History.

I searched the registry and the hard drive and that's when I realized only
some of the names matched my old searches. By examining each name, I have
determined they are mostly actual files and shortcuts on my Windows
Desktop, which is unexpected behaviour at best (I rate it as a bug).

There is nothing in the docs or the MSKB about this bug, so I don't see any
way to fix it, other than completely disabling AutoComplete, which defeats
the purpose of the whole exercise (clear the history completely, instead of
only partly).

Oh, well, that's so typical of my Windows experience, I won't bother
wasting any more time on the bug.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:00:12 AM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 22:00:11 GMT, Ex Terra wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, but, that's exactly how I cleared the web pages from
> the Taskbar's Address Toolbar AutoComplete History.
>
> I searched the registry and the hard drive and that's when I realized only
> some of the names matched my old searches. By examining each name, I have
> determined they are mostly actual files and shortcuts on my Windows
> Desktop, which is unexpected behaviour at best (I rate it as a bug).
>
> There is nothing in the docs or the MSKB about this bug, so I don't see any
> way to fix it, other than completely disabling AutoComplete, which defeats
> the purpose of the whole exercise (clear the history completely, instead of
> only partly).

When the address bar is on the taskbar, it is an IE address bar. Clearing
this internet history will not clean out other history maintained for
windows locations (run box, recent documents, etc). If you want to clear
those history items as well, use Taskbar/Start Menu properties> Start Menu>
Customize> Clear.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

But, where are those URL's kept?
May 1, 2009 4:37:48 PM

cfneumann said:
But, where are those URL's kept?

You are posting on a 5 year old thread. If you want more help, you may want to start a new thread.
!