Case cooling...

drealit

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
I have a Antec SX1000II SOHO full tower server case(had it for close to 4 years now lol) and i'm wondering what's the best method for cooling my hardware/case.

Antec SX1000II SOHO full tower case
Ultra X-Finity 600w PSU (front intake and rear exhaust)
GA-965P-S3 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 @ 2.4 ghz (overclocked obviously)
Thermaltake BigTyphoon 5 (CL-P0114) cpu cooler
BFG 7600GT OC video card
2x 1 Gb Corsair XMS2 6400 ddr2 memory (800 mhz)
2x 320 Gb Seagate sata harddrives (7200.10)
1x 500 Gb Maxtor sata harddrive (relabeled seagate 7200.10)
Standard 10x DVD-RW Rom
1x 2 port firewire expansion card

Built in cooling available in case...
2x Rear 80mm (both are located behind cpu socket area)
3x Front 80mm (1 at bottom, 1 in front of first 3.5 drive area, 1 in front of 2nd 3.5 drive area)

Fans and cooling available...
4x Powmax Typhoon 80mm Cooling fan (temp sensor and capable of 21.5 CFM)
1x SCYTHE KAMA BAY SCKB 1000 120mm Fan (takes up 3 Bays - 5.25 in. - 30.5 CFM)
3x Expansion slot coolers (16 CFM)
Also an assortment of 80mm Case cooling fans... unknown CFM ratings...

What fan arrangement will yield the best cooling method for my hardware? I obviously lack a top blow hole (with exception of the PSU which has front to back fans) and side panel cooling options (unless I were to do some modding :/).

I'm hoping, and am pretty sure, that some of you have encountered this case before or something close to it and that you'll be able to give me suggestions as to what the best fan arrangement would be... Thanks for your time!

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
One side for intake, the other for exhaust, simple as that. I would recommend using the front for intake, that way you don't have hot air blowing on you, but it doesnt really matter. Install all the slot coolers too.

How many 80mm fans do you have? I suggest lashing a couple together with zip ties, the more air moving across the components, the better. Think, instead of only 5 fans in our case, you could have 10!

drealit

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
I read somewhere that I should have more exhaust than intake... the problem with my case and the CPU cooler is that the 80mm's that are positioned in the back of the case are very close to the cpu cooler. Obviously lashing a couple more on won't work lol and if it's true about the more exhaust than intake... lashing a couple more on at the intake points will do more harm than good :/.

I'm seriously considering replacing the 120mm fan that's on my cooler and jumping on a new case when I see a good deal go by... I just missed the p180 for $50 deal yesterday (compusa) and have been kicking myself for it.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
The best you can do is place a 120mm fan on top exhaust, one 120 in the front intake, 2 at the back exhaust.
im0009753bahm1.jpg

top0014pl.jpg

drealit

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
I purchased 2 Antec 120mm tricool (3 speed dbb) fans for $26 through buy.com... going to replace the one that came with the CPU HS and also replace the one that came inside the Scythe 5.25 cooler. My question is... will it be more beneficial for me to change the Scythe so that it is being used as an exhaust rather than an intake up top (it's located where the 5.25 drive bays are)... I have no blow hole so this would be the closest to having one unless I cut a hole in the top.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You can do a little modding man. You can install a 120mm fan on the side panel as intake to draw cool air in and to the cpu cooler. Trust me, this one can make a big difference in temperature drop. You can even add another 120mm fan on the side panel aiming towards the graphics card to cool it down as well. This two mods are the ones that can lower the temps of the cpu and gpu and the internal as well. You can also mod a blow hole or exhaust on top of the case.

It is not that hard to do it at all. You need safety glasses, the fans of course, drill, 120mm hole saw (it comes in inches so the 4.5"(inch) hole saw will do just fine), and dremel to smooth out the sharp edges.

Makes sure to remove all components inside the case for this project. You don't want any metal shavings to short out the electronics.

You can rent this tools at your local hardware shop like Menards or Home Depot.

1. Wear safety glasses and gloves and etc.
2. Trace the outline of the 120mm fan and the screw holes. Make sure they are aligned to the components you are cooling and is not going to obstract any components inside the case. This is important since you can't undo the holes, unless you know welding.
3. Find center of the outline and drill a hole for pilot.
4. Drill the 4 screw holes as well.
5. Using the hole saw, make the holes. Make sure the case is secure as you don't want it to spin around and hit you.
6. Smooth out the sharp egdes. You can install a molding like this and add looks as well.
7. You can also install fan grill and filter if you desire. If there's kids in the house or idiot friends then you have to install a fan grill to keep their fingers from getting chopped.
8. And that's it.
9. Feel free to add or comment.