Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Linux Or Windows 7 for gaming

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 18, 2012 12:13:46 PM

Planning to build a PC and I really want the best OS for gaming.
So my question is does linux improve your FPS while gaming?
And also don't know wich one to choose there are so many sites to choose of.

Thanks and sorry for my english.

More about : linux windows gaming

a b 5 Linux
a b $ Windows 7
December 18, 2012 1:46:10 PM

Windows 7. No contest.

You'll have a hard time getting most games to run under Linux, let alone worrying about FPS.
a b 5 Linux
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 7:41:10 AM

Ijack said:
Windows 7. No contest.

You'll have a hard time getting most games to run under Linux, let alone worrying about FPS.

I'm curious though. Which can handle FPS better? As more and more games are going cross platform and Microsoft's predatory practices alienate more hackers, if your game is available for linux which would be better?
Related resources
December 19, 2012 7:49:20 AM

stillblue said:
I'm curious though. Which can handle FPS better? As more and more games are going cross platform and Microsoft's predatory practices alienate more hackers, if your game is available for linux which would be better?

Almost shure linux does.
There is something like wine linux(let you play windows games on linux)
a b 5 Linux
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 8:03:47 AM

theAssassin0411 said:
Almost shure linux does.

You can play many windows games in wine, not all though and the graphics can leave a lot to be desired. You can also install VMware in Linux and run a virtual copy of windows inside Linux or vice versa. But you're probably better off running a dual boot and keeping the OS running a game native to it. Run windows games in 7 and Linux/cross platform games in Linux. Or you could just learn to love Linux games! :lol: 
a b 4 Gaming
December 19, 2012 8:33:39 AM

Steam is coming to Linux, so Left 4 Dead etc. Other than that, no modern games. Nexuiz and Blob Wars are pretty awesome for open source stuff. But there's really no discussion necessary if you want access to more than a small handful of games. Windows 7.
a b 5 Linux
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 9:02:15 AM

I would bet a small fortune that better FPS are available in Windows, even for the few native Linux games. The manufacturers spend more time optimizing the drivers for Windows (obviously) than for Linux.

For games running under Wine, it's again fairly obvious that running natively on Windows is going to be faster than going through the extra layer of emulation.
a b 5 Linux
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 9:55:59 AM

Ijack said:
I would bet a small fortune that better FPS are available in Windows, even for the few native Linux games. The manufacturers spend more time optimizing the drivers for Windows (obviously) than for Linux.

For games running under Wine, it's again fairly obvious that running natively on Windows is going to be faster than going through the extra layer of emulation.

Wine is not an emulator, just ask them. :D 
a b 4 Gaming
December 19, 2012 10:02:04 AM

stillblue said:
Wine is not an emulator, just ask them. :D 

Haha +1 to this ^ :-D I've honestly never understood the distinction though. I am correct in understanding though that no DirectX games will run even with WINE? Purely the old OpenGL id stuff?
a b 5 Linux
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 10:15:25 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Haha +1 to this ^ :-D I've honestly never understood the distinction though. I am correct in understanding though that no DirectX games will run even with WINE? Purely the old OpenGL id stuff?

This is a link for compatibility questions http://appdb.winehq.org

I myself don't use wine much as I work all day on PHP database programming and repairing broken Windows systems (until I convert them to Linux that is). At home I have no electricity so no playing there. No, I'm not some survivalist, I just live in the DR Congo in a city of over a million without electricity or running water. About the only games I play is Soduku when my brain goes dead and needs a distraction.

a b 5 Linux
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 10:26:53 AM

Call it a compatability layer if you prefer (despite the fact that Wine was originally an acronym for WINdows Emulator). But playing semantics makes no difference to the fact that Wine introduces another layer of function calls to emulate the Windows API. Programs are never going to run so fast with this extra intermediate layer of function calls as they do under the native API. And that's not even accounting for the driver differences.
a b 5 Linux
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 11:00:07 AM

Ijack said:
Call it a compatability layer if you prefer (despite the fact that Wine was originally an acronym for WINdows Emulator). But playing semantics makes no difference to the fact that Wine introduces another layer of function calls to emulate the Windows API. Programs are never going to run so fast with this extra intermediate layer of function calls as they do under the native API. And that's not even accounting for the driver differences.

No arguments from me. Running native is always better. I'm just amused that they say wine is not an emulator but hey, they write it and they give it away, they can call it anything they want, they're cool by me.
a b 5 Linux
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 11:11:54 AM

It's a wonderful piece of software; a great achievement. But the simple fact is that, as things currently stand, if you want a computer primarily for gaming purposes then Windows is the best way to go. Limited availability and performance on other platforms, plus the problems associated with trying to run Windows games on them, make them a poor choice.

On the other hand, if you just want a general purpose computer or - better still - a development machine, then Linux is an excellent choice. It has certainly improved out of all recognition since the version of Slackware that I first installed off a set of 36 floppy disks - and that was pretty good.
a b 4 Gaming
December 19, 2012 1:06:27 PM

Awesome for netbooks too. My girlfriend's is running Windows 7 (Starter, for all the good it does) on an Atom N450 and 2GB RAM (originally 1GB). It ain't pretty. I reckon it would actually not be bad with Xubuntu or Bodhi. Only real reason for her to stick with Windows is for compatibility with her phone and digital camera.

EDIT: And you're hardly gonna be gaming on a spec like that even if you wanted to, so even more reason! Could Dosbox, but I think Dosbox has a Linux version also...
a b 5 Linux
December 19, 2012 2:21:04 PM

I like Linux more than Windows.

But until Valve's Linux console makes deep inroads in game support you cannot expect me to switch my gaming computer too.

On the plus side I have a Nexus 7 running Ubuntu 13.04 now :) .
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 3:53:12 PM

Ijack said:

For NVidia drivers OpenGL performance in Linux eclipses that of Windows by 50-75% on average. My own system (Gentoo) is actually twice as fast as any version of Windows on the same hardware. I run primarily X-Plane.

a b 4 Gaming
December 19, 2012 9:09:27 PM

amdfangirl said:
I like Linux more than Windows.

But until Valve's Linux console makes deep inroads in game support you cannot expect me to switch my gaming computer too.

On the plus side I have a Nexus 7 running Ubuntu 13.04 now :) .

That's pretty cool :-) Even better than Android for touch?
a b 4 Gaming
December 19, 2012 9:11:03 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
For NVidia drivers OpenGL performance in Linux eclipses that of Windows by 50-75% on average. My own system (Gentoo) is actually twice as fast as any version of Windows on the same hardware. I run primarily X-Plane.

Gentoo is pretty cool, not for the faint of heart though! I tried a few times to install it, but never got my Internet working. I need to get my head around hosts, DNS, WEP, WPA, SSIDs, all that stuff, but it baffles me. And then Arch dropped the installer too so that's just as tricky!
a b 5 Linux
December 20, 2012 12:01:35 AM

sam_p_lay said:
That's pretty cool :-) Even better than Android for touch?

Nope. I just hate Android on the premise that its made by Google.
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2012 6:18:10 PM

amdfangirl said:
Nope. I just hate Android on the premise that its made by Google.

Seems like a pretty weak reason to not run Android. I'll use whatever does the job best and with the most style. What's the problem with Google, the privacy stuff?
a b 5 Linux
December 21, 2012 3:49:42 AM

It's a matter of personal preference. :) 
December 23, 2012 1:07:49 AM

Since Guild Wars 2 only runs on one core of my AMD FX4100 in Ububtu 12.04, I am using Windows 7. Another thing that's bugging me, I had some serious graphic error when I tried to run 12.10 on my laptop, which has a radeon 5650 card. Hopefully they get that sorted out fairly soon.
December 25, 2012 11:18:12 AM

For now, Windows 7 has the most games and best support for them. I wouldn't try using Linux to run the same games you would run on Windows.
December 27, 2012 1:54:17 AM

theAssassin0411 said:
Almost shure linux does.

I agree with the above statement. I have used Wine myself, but the best I can do is, "run" Unreal Tournament 2004. The graphics are on and off and very choppy. I would say that Wine is still extremely primitive. I would recommend sticking with Windows just because of compatibility issues that will most likely surface. The only way I would switch to Linux for video games is if Linux is stated on the box as being a compatible operating system. Even though it might say that, it might still be kind of buggy. As stated before, I tried installing UT2004 and that game is actually, "compatible" with linux out of the box. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, it was quite buggy as well and I felt that as I was trying to play it, I thought it would work better in Windows. I do agree that the Frames per Second would be much higher than in Windows, which is true. Of course, this was only tested on the select few games that work on Linux.

Hope that helped,

CC

P.S. I installed UT2004 via the Linux version and the Wine version. Both came up with similar results.
January 9, 2013 12:12:08 PM

Windows 7 is undoubtedly the king of gaming right now. In another year or two, I'm not so sure the scale will be so unevenly balanced. Steam is one of the most powerful gaming sources for computers, and they've taken a severe disliking to Windows 8 and where Microsoft is heading. It's pretty obvious that Steam's interest in Linux is here for the long haul. It only further solidified their stance after they were able to successfully port several games to Ubuntu and with a minimal amount of development have them running as good or better in Ubuntu as they run in Windows 7. Different Linux distros have also been benchmarked to test their gaming capabilities, all of which did remarkably better than I expected. That being said, predicting the future of technology is pretty useless because things change so drastically on a regular basis. If you want a gaming rig set up and running tomorrow, I'd get Windows 7 for that. But like I said, months/years from now it might be a different story.
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2013 12:49:25 PM

+ to JaSaunders - good post. Can you post links to the distribution benchmarking? I've seen Windows vs Mac before and Windows vs Linux, but never Linux vs Linux. Would be very interested to know which distributions are best for gaming performance.
January 9, 2013 1:08:44 PM

sam_p_lay said:
+ to JaSaunders - good post. Can you post links to the distribution benchmarking? I've seen Windows vs Mac before and Windows vs Linux, but never Linux vs Linux. Would be very interested to know which distributions are best for gaming performance.

The articles I read were always comparing different Linux distros to Windows, never Linux to Linux. Now that you mention it I too am pretty curious about that...
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2013 1:13:04 PM

Would be interesting! I'd assume heavyweight GUIs like KDE might have a more noticeable impact, but then surely that's gonna have more effect on RAM than on framerates... of course Steam and any other big league gaming that comes to Linux will focus primarily on best results in Ubuntu anyway, so Ubuntu (and derivatives) will likely be the distro of choice for Steam gaming. Still, purely for the sake of curiosity, I'd like to see somebody test this! I'll take a look on Phoronix and see if they've done it.

EDIT: Some good stuff here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=category&item=Ope...
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2013 1:55:35 PM

Some interesting results... Linux beating BSD again and again, with the major exception of I/O performance (random writes) where Unix wins by far. Solaris significantly slower most of the time, but occasionally much faster in just one or two things. GUIs do have an impact on gaming performance, with LXDE (unsurprisingly) delivering the best results. These do vary quite a bit from game to game though, Xfce does well also and KDE and Unity are consistently the slowest.

This one is a little dated now, but major gains for Fedora:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedo...

Kernel versions have a considerable impact too, though it's not an improvement every time - v3.6 seems to be regaining performance lost in the versions immediately before it.
January 9, 2013 5:17:50 PM

I'm sure that heavier environments like KDE might suffer some sort of impact, but I think we're starting to slice hairs there too since KDE has gotten significantly better over the years in terms of graphic requirements. Even Unity has gotten to the point where it doesn't feel like a molasses fueled sloth. Of course if we compare any of the above to LXDE we'd be singing a different tune, but still. I'm not trying to take a stab at Windows here, I'm all about the "use the best tool for the job" type of thing, but Windows 7 is just so dang heavy... the way it operates and the weight of DirectX certainly aren't doing W7 any favors here. I think the way Linux and OpenGL are designed under the hood are what gives Linux the potential to be the most powerful. But hey, developers gotta eat, and taking a shot on some blind development is surely a gamble in comparison to the significantly larger base of Windows. Thankfully there's companies like Steam who have the kahunas and the manpower to handle an undertaking like this. I certainly applaud them and anxiously await what future months bring to the table.
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2013 5:46:09 PM

Well there's actually been a bunch of Windows vs Linux gaming benchmarks done and Windows tends to come out on top. Microsoft really do seem to have the best system for gaming. OSX games pretty poorly in the benchmarks I've seen, though there's been a bit of improvement (first time I saw it benchmarked, Left 4 Dead was 50-100% faster on Windows). This Source-based stuff isn't demanding anyway though so really doesn't matter if you're getting 100fps instead of 130fps.
January 9, 2013 5:59:54 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Well there's actually been a bunch of Windows vs Linux gaming benchmarks done and Windows tends to come out on top. Microsoft really do seem to have the best system for gaming. OSX games pretty poorly in the benchmarks I've seen, though there's been a bit of improvement (first time I saw it benchmarked, Left 4 Dead was 50-100% faster on Windows). This Source-based stuff isn't demanding anyway though so really doesn't matter if you're getting 100fps instead of 130fps.

Windows is also seeing monumentally more development. Steam devs worked on L4D for less than a month and had that game running worlds faster on Linux than it did on Windows after months (years?) or development. In recent benchmarks I've seen, Ubuntu has always been neck and neck with Windows 7. I haven't seen any in recent years that suggest that either OS has a substantial leg up vs the other, however Steam's findings with game development is enticing to suggest otherwise.
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2013 8:14:27 PM

Keep in mind not all development work is performance optimisation. Take a look at Phoronix anyway, or even Tom's - they did an article on this a while back.
July 29, 2013 7:42:24 AM

There's so much talk here about theoretical benchmarks and how devs have supposedly got greater performance out of Linux (the reference to L4D, in particular) than Windows. Truth is, it's a no-brainer and you can argue the toss all you want. If you want to play games, you need Windows 7 or 8. I refuse to accept XP or Vista due to their age and the fact that we need to move on and embrace the newer APIs (otherwise development will slow to a standstill). I'm not questioning the stability of XP, but I am saying that if you're a gamer, it's really time to get with Windows 7 as it's solid as a rock and has the best choice of games and most mature drivers. I'm sorry Linux fans but you're way off the mark right now even making a comparison. Yes, Steam is available and yes the Steam console is going to run Linux, but it'll never have the choice of games that an established OS like Windows does. Look at OSX; years in existence and many incarnations of leopards and lions, and the snowy ones too, and the best they've got is Portal 2. Great game but not cutting-edge. I love Steam and I love Valve games but I struggle to see how a Linux machine will oust the PS4 or XBOX one. The sheer number of XP gamers shows that even today people are afraid to move on from what they know. Given that you can build/buy a very capable gaming machine for under £800 these days, why would you want to waste time and money on a platform that has so little software and hardware support? If the Steam console creates a market for serious Linux variants, then that's great for everyone as it'll mean better competition but it didn't work for OSX as a gaming platform and that's got Apple behind it! Were it not for Steam, the Mac would be plodding away with Plants Vs Zombies.
Right now, it's Windows all the way; there really isn't a viable alternative at the moment, no matter what people say.
a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2013 7:55:17 AM

Necroposting is a little annoying (as is the lack of paragraph breaks), though I do agree. Even £450 would do a decent gaming setup (or £600 if including monitor, keyboard and mouse).
!