Potential Real-World Advertising In-Game

Been reading the posts off the official boards on the potential for
real-world advertising in our CITY OF HEROES game.
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2499897&page=&view=&
sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Read a lot of wisdom.
The best comments were, "I want a /noadverts toggle to kill the all too
intrusive deluge of unwanted advertisements." and "I expect real world ads
because it increases the immersion factor." and "Introduce real-world ads
into the game and Cryptic & NC-SOFT no will longer control their own game,
but the often irrational whims of the advertisers will." and "I don't want
it to interfere with my gameplay and be obnoxious advertisements."

The longest and most comprehensive posts are by "Fusion_Pope" in this
thread and many worthwhile advertising truths are to found in those posts.
In them Fusion_Pope notes that advertising ALREADY is so intrusive and
oppressively invasive that we, as a culture, have grown comfortably used to
ignoring the ads in the same way that cows ignore the farmer. Much like
abused submissive wives our nation has culturally allowed itself to be
beaten into helpless cowardice while some ranting psycho ponders a new
manner in which to inflict agony upon us. A measure of this optical and
auditory pollution is easily measured by how many steps one can walk
outdoors without being assaulted by a sign, billboard, or rolling vehicle
with an advertisement glaring from all visible sides.

Ah well. Life goes on and sheep exist to be shorn of their wool and
consumed when their wool production is no longer satisfactory. Humans are
just merely one of the many exploitable resources of this world.

Vorlonagent wrote:
> George Johnson wrote:
>> Been reading the posts off the official boards on the potential for
>> real-world advertising in our CITY OF HEROES game.

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2499897&page=&view=&
sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

> My reaction is that I pay good money for CoH. I did not pay to be
shown

And my reaction is that I really don't give a rat's ass, one way or the
other... as long as the adverts don't interrupt my cracking the skulls
of the bad guys. I really can't see why they would put them in, because
if most people are like me, then they really wouldn't notice any
adverts (I haven't even concentrated on the fake adverts in the game
long enough to read them).

"George Johnson" <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote in message
> Been reading the posts off the official boards on the potential for
> real-world advertising in our CITY OF HEROES game.
> http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2499897&page=&view=&
> sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1
>
> Read a lot of wisdom.
> The best comments were, "I want a /noadverts toggle to kill the all too
> intrusive deluge of unwanted advertisements." and "I expect real world ads
> because it increases the immersion factor." and "Introduce real-world ads
> into the game and Cryptic & NC-SOFT no will longer control their own game,
> but the often irrational whims of the advertisers will." and "I don't want
> it to interfere with my gameplay and be obnoxious advertisements."
>
> The longest and most comprehensive posts are by "Fusion_Pope" in this
> thread and many worthwhile advertising truths are to found in those posts.
> In them Fusion_Pope notes that advertising ALREADY is so intrusive and
> oppressively invasive that we, as a culture, have grown comfortably used
> ignoring the ads in the same way that cows ignore the farmer. Much like
> abused submissive wives our nation has culturally allowed itself to be
> beaten into helpless cowardice while some ranting psycho ponders a new
> manner in which to inflict agony upon us. A measure of this optical and
> auditory pollution is easily measured by how many steps one can walk
> outdoors without being assaulted by a sign, billboard, or rolling vehicle
> with an advertisement glaring from all visible sides.

My reaction is that I pay good money for CoH. I did not pay to be shown

John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 21 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 14 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

Of course, most posts in this thread totally ignore the fact that
Statesman expressly said THEY WOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:45:27 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
wrote:

>Of course, most posts in this thread totally ignore the fact that
>Statesman expressly said THEY WOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Well, as I recall from the post, it would be ads involving the
company's characters, but not ads for their product. So, it's not
really advertisements FOR them, just in-game ads by them.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:16:05 -0800, Dark Tyger
<darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:45:27 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
>wrote:
>
>>Of course, most posts in this thread totally ignore the fact that
>>Statesman expressly said THEY WOULDN'T BE DOING IT.
>
>Well, as I recall from the post, it would be ads involving the
>company's characters, but not ads for their product. So, it's not
>really advertisements FOR them, just in-game ads by them.

Just to clarify: The "in-game" ads by them aren't going to be "real"
ads, as I understand it...

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>> I wasn't objecting to advertising - I actually think real ads in place
>> of the bogus ones, as long as they didn't become any more obtrusive
>> than what's there, would be kind of cool. I'm only commenting on your
>> sweeping "it's their game" assertion, which could lead to all kinds of
>> abuses.

> Abuses? There's nothing wrong with the assertion. They can make
> whatever changes they want. Never, however, have I implied that people
> couldn't leave if they didn't like the changes.

I'm assuming that they want to please and keep as many players as
possible, while staying true to their guiding vision of the game. If they
were to start acting like weens who think they can do whatever they want
and damn all the players who don't like it, Paragon City is history. (I'm
thinking of games like Half-Life where some of the hosts were so
obnoxious and put in so many mods the game was unplayable. But it made
their five friends happy. Fortunately, there were always other hosts. Not
the case, here.)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 28 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
> Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>>> I wasn't objecting to advertising - I actually think real ads in place
>>> of the bogus ones, as long as they didn't become any more obtrusive
>>> than what's there, would be kind of cool. I'm only commenting on your
>>> sweeping "it's their game" assertion, which could lead to all kinds of
>>> abuses.
>
>> Abuses? There's nothing wrong with the assertion. They can make
>> whatever changes they want. Never, however, have I implied that people
>> couldn't leave if they didn't like the changes.
>
> I'm assuming that they want to please and keep as many players as
> possible, while staying true to their guiding vision of the game.

No, they want to make money. That usually entails everything you are
talking about.

> If they
> were to start acting like weens who think they can do whatever they want
> and damn all the players who don't like it, Paragon City is history.

Also true.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 21 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

Do you have cable TV? Do you pay for it? Do you still get ads? Not much
diffrent except CoH is more fun than TV.

Adds will probably be along the lines of billboards and park benches,
not popups.

I can see it, you pop the em for newspaper, and see a Coke ad right in
the middle. Or you kick in the boombox to hear the latest from Linkin
Park.

Sure I'll find it anoying, but alot less than expected. I mean, "Total
Recall" had both "Jack in the box" and "Hilton". That money went into
the production cost of the movie.

So this means that we now have to attack a bunch of Paragon Protectors
ravaging the CBS offices. (OR maybe we let them. Could actually improve
CBS' ratings :p )

With the fictional billboards that are in the game now, I have been
expecting this for a while. I just hope that they use this new source
of revenue to continue developing and enhacing the game.

But then, what do I know as a gaming computer geek.