reformatting WIN98

G

Hi, forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm planning on reformatting my harddrive but I'm not sure how to get the cdrom drive recognized after I wipe out C:. My cdrom drive is a plextor cdrw. I can't find any dos drivers for it. Can someone please tell me how I do it. I don't want to wipe everything out and then be unable to install from the cdrom drive.

Thanks

Mudd

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Which operating system will you be using? If its Win98, you can make a startup disk and it will provide you an option to bootup with CD ROM support.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"My cdrom drive is a plextor cdrw. I can't find any dos drivers for it."

Hmmm, your name is Mudd, huh? Been misbehaving?

<GRIN>

I can send you the driver, if you'll post a valid email address. Or send me an email, if you prefer to keep this private. <A HREF="mailto:jtfoote@hotmail.com">jtfoote@hotmail.com</A>

However, you may not need it. Start up the computer with your Boot Disk, and as previously suggested, chose to start with CD-ROM support. Place a data CD in the Plextor drive. Navigate to the CD-RW's Drive letter, and then use the "dir" command to display the contents of the CD. If you can see the data, then the generic Microsoft DOS-level CD-ROM driver is all you need.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Cheops' Law: Nothing <i>ever</i> gets built on schedule or within budget."</font color=purple>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Depends on your Win98 version (SE, not upgrade} and the computer's BIOS
you also have a chance to boot from Win98 CD.

Restart the PC, press the [Delete] key or whatever is in the manual or promped at the startup screen.

In the BIOS table check the boot sequence, look for Boot from CDROM first option.

By the way, is your Plextor ATAPI or SCSI?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NickM on 09/16/01 10:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
in case you are only 8 years old:
make a startup floppy, boot from it, select start computer with cd rom support (press "2" and enter), after it is done (and if the drive was detected), type "format c:", press "y" when promted "..are you sure..", after it is done, place 98 cd into the cdrom, in 10 seconds type "setup", rest will be point and click events.
in case you are older than 8, do the same as above... as easy as that.

it's my life, don't tell me what to do with it...

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I can email you a boot disk in a zip file, or you can read this article to make one yourself: <A HREF="http://content.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/1999/1025.htm" target="_new">A Bevy of Boot Disks by Fred Langa</A>

Chances are that if you didn't have to install any drivers for your Plextor CDRW, that this'll work.

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek: