Windows XP installation

Can anyone tell how I can upgrade from windows 2000 (currently using) to
windows XP without using any of my files or folders or programs?
Thank you
9 answers Last reply
More about windows installation

    In news:45AB3346-99E1-4B9A-8C68-0FB4A0D94D56@microsoft.com,
    Windows XP installation <Windows XP
    installation@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Can anyone tell how I can upgrade from windows 2000 (currently
    > using)
    > to windows XP without using any of my files or folders or
    > programs?

    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "without using any of
    my files or folders or programs." Do you want to install Windows
    XP cleanly (wiping out everything on the drive) using a Windows
    XP Upgrade CD?

    If so, you can do that without a problem. Choose the New Install
    option.

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    However, my recommendation is to at least try the upgrade, since
    it's much easier than a clean installation. You can always change
    your mind and reinstall cleanly if problems develop.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    ooooh, i'm sorry. I dont want to lose any of my programs. Can i just use the
    windows xp home edition to upgrade or would that be a separate cd?
    Thank you

    In news:E18EFE7A-411A-490F-A23A-824D696762CB@microsoft.com,
    Windows XP installation
    <WindowsXPinstallation@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > ooooh, i'm sorry. I dont want to lose any of my programs.

    OK, you meant "lose," not "use." I understand now.

    > Can i just
    > use the windows xp home edition to upgrade or would that be a
    > separate cd?

    In that case, you want to do an upgrade, not a clean
    installation. Sorry, but you can't do an upgrade from Windows
    2000 to XP Home, only to XP Professional. Because you want to go
    from 2000 *Professional* to XP *Home*, Microsoft considers that a
    downgrade and doesn't support it. Your only options are to do a
    clean installation of XP Home or to upgrade to XP Professional.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:45AB3346-99E1-4B9A-8C68-0FB4A0D94D56@microsoft.com,
    >> Windows XP installation <Windows XP
    >> installation@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell how I can upgrade from windows 2000
    >>> (currently
    >>> using)
    >>> to windows XP without using any of my files or folders or
    >>> programs?
    >>

    >> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "without using any
    >> of
    >> my files or folders or programs." Do you want to install
    >> Windows
    >> XP cleanly (wiping out everything on the drive) using a
    >> Windows
    >> XP Upgrade CD?
    >>
    >> If so, you can do that without a problem. Choose the New
    >> Install
    >> option.
    >>
    >> You can find detailed instructions here:
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >>
    >> or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
    >>
    >> or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
    >>

    >> However, my recommendation is to at least try the upgrade,
    >> since
    >> it's much easier than a clean installation. You can always
    >> change
    >> your mind and reinstall cleanly if problems develop.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thank you for your help.
    Quick question tho ... would it be possible to put all my files namely the
    c: drive on a backup drive and then completely install windows xp? or would
    that be risky and not all programs would work?
    Thanks again

    In news:07FA491C-3AD7-40E8-A263-E3E15AF550D2@microsoft.com,
    Windows XP installation
    <WindowsXPinstallation@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Thank you for your help.

    You're welcome. Always glad to help.

    > Quick question tho ... would it be possible to put all my files
    > namely the c: drive on a backup drive and then completely
    > install
    > windows xp? or would that be risky and not all programs would
    > work?
    > Thanks again

    You can do that with your data files, but that won't work with
    programs. The reason for this is that all programs but the
    trivial are not just a single file. They have many components and
    many references
    to them (in the registry and elsewhere). You need all of these
    for the program to work. So your programs will all have to
    reinstalled under the new operating system.

    --
    Ken Blake

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:59:06 -0700, Windows XP installation wrote:

    > ooooh, i'm sorry. I dont want to lose any of my programs. Can i just use the
    > windows xp home edition to upgrade or would that be a separate cd?

    Unfortunately, Win2000 can only be upgraded with XP Pro. It sounds like you
    need to regroup and formulate a new plan if you're going to go ahead with
    the XP Home (clean) install.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Just make sure you back up all your data, favorites, email, etc.

    Also, you may want to go into the Device Manager and write down the
    components you have installed. The most important ones are:

    modem
    network adapter
    sound card
    video card

    Before installing XP Home, you might want to download the newest drivers for
    each device and put them on a CD so you have them after installation. I can
    tell you from experience that it will be a real pain trying to find
    everything after the fact. The manufacturer's CDs might not cut it. If the
    device is older, the XP drivers may not be on the CD that you got with the
    device or PC.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    "Windows XP installation" wrote:

    > Can anyone tell how I can upgrade from windows 2000 (currently using) to
    > windows XP without using any of my files or folders or programs?
    > Thank you

    Windows XP installation wrote:
    > Can anyone tell how I can upgrade from windows 2000 (currently using) to
    > windows XP without using any of my files or folders or programs?
    > Thank you
    start the pc, put the windows xp cd-rom in the cd-rom drive and then install

    Check here for upgrading tips
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    installation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell how I can upgrade from windows 2000 (currently using) to
    > windows XP without using any of my files or folders or programs?
    > Thank you

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows XP