Sign in with
Your question
Closed

First time Ubuntu user!

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 21, 2012 9:03:10 PM

I am going to be trying out Ubuntu because I don't feel like spending $100 for Windows 7. Since I have never used this OS I have some questions.

1. Can I run Microsoft Office. I know there are other free versions similar to MO but I'm still in college and the format is usually off with the other programs.

2. This will be going into a new pc build. Will my hardware be compatible with Ubuntu. Will I be able to download drivers from the web for my hardware.

3. Will antiviruses such as AVG, AVAST, and Norton's work with Ubuntu.

4. Will games such as Black Ops, Battlefield, Dirt 3, and other window games work with Ubuntu.

5. Finally, please explain why not to the questions above and how to fix the problem.

Thanks

More about : time ubuntu user

December 21, 2012 9:57:34 PM

LOL @ 5 - you already know the answers to 1-4! No, yes, unnecessary, no. WINE can be used to get some Windows games working (but very few - you're looking at the old id-based stuff like Doom 3, Quake 4 and earlier). Steam is coming, so there's Left 4 Dead. There's also free stuff like Blob Wars. Or SNES emulators, DOSbox etc. Otherwise, forget gaming on it.

EDIT: More detail on 1 - file formats actually work pretty smoothly with Libre Office, you're probably OK with it. 2 - internal components will likely be fine, but stuff like your smartphone, digital camera, scanner etc may not be. 3 - you can get Linux AV, but it's very secure anyway and very few Linux viruses.
December 22, 2012 2:54:10 AM

Hummm:

Welcome. No, no , no, no, & no. After the usual three year learning-curve -- from ignorance to bafflement -- you will not ask such silly questions. **REM** the 10,000 hr rule applies to *nix. RTFManuals. Carry on.

dave_2378 said:
I am going to be trying out Ubuntu because I don't feel like spending $100 for Windows 7. Since I have never used this OS I have some questions.

1. Can I run Microsoft Office. I know there are other free versions similar to MO but I'm still in college and the format is usually off with the other programs.

2. This will be going into a new pc build. Will my hardware be compatible with Ubuntu. Will I be able to download drivers from the web for my hardware.

3. Will antiviruses such as AVG, AVAST, and Norton's work with Ubuntu.

4. Will games such as Black Ops, Battlefield, Dirt 3, and other window games work with Ubuntu.

5. Finally, please explain why not to the questions above and how to fix the problem.

Thanks

Related resources
December 23, 2012 2:22:08 AM

My dear Ms. AMDgurl:

I similarly discipline my thermodynamics lecture when some precocious N00B advises he will be **trying out** the law of entropy increase.

"... oh my dear Sir/Madam ..."

amdfangirl said:
O_o

December 23, 2012 4:54:32 AM

What I mean is be nice, friendly and gentle to newcomers.

Mkay?
December 23, 2012 5:25:33 AM

Quote:
you will not ask such silly questions.
There are no silly questions. But, sometimes, there are some very silly answers.
December 23, 2012 5:30:24 AM

Hardware compatibility - simply Google your hardware and Ubuntu for any issues, remember there are millions of Ubuntu users so most things have been tested. For games read the gaming thread here below. Word, after you install the mscore fonts, the installer is in the depot , LO pretty much covers it all except bordeart but you shouldn't be using that on school papers. For other windows program I recommend you install playonlinux, it's a frontend to wine that makes it much easier to use.
Finally, in general, the Ubuntu community is a friendly one and will help as needed. The earlier comment is absurd. I find that I can install Ubuntu and get a new user up and running faster than I can just install windows. I also find the upkeep of windows far more tasking than Ubuntu, say goodbye to virus attacks and registration Key's and the BSOD. Problems do come up but most end up having a cut and paste solution.
December 23, 2012 8:43:19 AM

Thanks for the support. I found that it is easy for people to take jabs at others online for the simple fact that they will never meet them face to face in the real world. Also people who make such remarks are usually the type of people who don't have the testicular fortitude to stand up for themselves in the real world so they get back at people by trying to make themselves feel superior to others one way or another.
December 23, 2012 2:33:52 PM

??? ... Distinctly I said "welcome" .... "carry on". Noting the good advice I have got from members of this forum a prudent person observes Linuxland never gets more gentle than an invitation! And of-course informed by my 22-years of running *nix systems my five (5) answers are/were correct.

amdfangirl said:
What I mean is be nice, friendly and gentle to newcomers.

Mkay?

December 23, 2012 2:49:14 PM

Unfortunately, your 22 years experience seems to have taught you little.

The OP asks "Will Ubuntu run on my hardware?". Without even asking what hardware the OP has you answer "no". Almost certainly you are wrong.

The OP asks "Will antiviruses such as...work with Ubuntu?". You simply answer "no" without explaining that they are less necessary than on Windows but that many anti-virus vendors do provide Linux versions.

The OP asks about games on Linux. Again a straight "no" is misleading and incorrect.

And to cap it all, you tell the OP that his questions are stupid and imply that he will never master Linux.

I appreciate that you may have difficulty understanding Linux, unlike many other posters here, but if you don't know the true answers to questions there is little point in answering them incorrectly. Giving misinformation is worse than giving no answer at all. And it is just plain bad manners to tell a questioner that they are asking stupid questions, especially when they are very reasonable questions. Civility costs nothing.
December 23, 2012 8:35:24 PM

I agree the post wasn't very useful, but I'm pretty certain from the tone that the guy was just screwing around. Didn't sound malicious to me so let's not crucify the guy.
December 23, 2012 9:02:55 PM

I'm more interested in not discouraging a new member, and someone contemplating Linux for the first time, than in sparing the feelings of a long-time poster who (possibly) made a not funny joke.
December 23, 2012 10:33:37 PM

Hi,
I know some people have replied above me, but to shed some light on things that might of not been covered.

You can actually run MS Office on Ubuntu, it is through an add on to WINE called POL (Play on Linux). I am running Lubuntu on my netbook and use MS office 2010 daily. POL makes it very easy and smooth to install MS binaries without having to go through dependency hell. http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

Drivers are perty much universal, though for a select few features you are gonna need to do a little configuring of X. I just installed Kubuntu on my new build and everything worked great, though I needed to do some configuring for some simple things such as mapping mouse buttons or enabling duel monitors. Nothing a little google searching couldn't pull up, plus the Ubuntu forums are very helpful.

As far as anti-virus goes, it is really not that necessary as to Linux is very secure. People think that since it is open source the code can be reviewed and exploited easily. Though for everyone looking to do evil someone else is looking through that code and attempting to path it. Almost everyday there is an update in the Ubuntu repositories.

POL also offers an ability to install steam. Though I have never personally used it because I am waiting for the native Linux version to come out. The beta has been released but who knows when the actual port will be released.

I can relate you because some amount of years ago I was attempting to break all ties from M$. I hope I have answered some of your questions.
December 23, 2012 11:30:04 PM

I'm not sure sticking to Office would break those ties :-) Very good point though - I'd never considered Play on Linux for anything other than games. As for devices, how is Android on Linux? I tried mine (Sony Xperia U) on Xubuntu 12.04 and had no luck, but maybe I just needed to put in a bit more time and effort. I was hoping it would just open like a USB stick though as a folder, like it does in Windows.

My printer (printer/scanner combo) picked up flawlessly for printing, though didn't work for scanning (no scanners connected apparently!). Which is weird considering the model number of the printer was correctly identified, so whoever added in support must have known it's a printer too... again, maybe with time and effort I could have fixed it, but I don't often use the scanner part anyway.
December 24, 2012 4:19:22 AM

Not to worry. IJacks blustering enthusiast huff couldn't crucify a lark let alone a hard-bitten *nix lusr. Worry, rather, about the cow-eyed, cheery-cheek N00B and his encouraged skim of unrealistic expectations. IMVHO Linux obtains only 0.57% of the desktop audience in part because **initiates** expect facility in Linux within weeks. WEEKs !!! Not after years of persistent effort.

What happens when common **stuff** doesn't just work? As it does just work in MACLAND and M$ville. Spare me the DENIAL motif. I advise new *nix users to prepare for the worst, fear nothing and to enjoy the trip. A long and strange trip given the syntax and structure of the Unix shell, but nevermind ... . I ask who has misled N00Bs otherwise? IJACK will you speak up?

sam_p_lay said:
I agree the post wasn't very useful, but I'm pretty certain from the tone that the guy was just screwing around. Didn't sound malicious to me so let's not crucify the guy.

December 24, 2012 4:45:34 AM

sam_p_lay said:
I'm not sure sticking to Office would break those ties :-)

You do have a point :p . I am aware that Libreoffice can do everything M$ office can and can even create .doc and .docx formatted files and I do use it as well. However I have just grown so accustom to using M$ office over the years it is easier for me to stick with it. Plus I already own office so might as well get my use out of my money :lol: 

nss000 said:
Not to worry. IJacks blustering enthusiast huff couldn't crucify a lark let alone a hard-bitten *nix lusr. Worry, rather, about the cow-eyed, cheery-cheek N00B and his encouraged skim of unrealistic expectations. IMVHO Linux obtains only 0.57% of the desktop audience in part because **initiates** expect facility in Linux within weeks. WEEKs !!! Not after years of persistent effort.

What happens when common **stuff** doesn't just work? As it does just work in MACLAND and M$ville. Spare me the DENIAL motif. I advise new *nix users to prepare for the worst, fear nothing and to enjoy the trip. A long and strange trip given the syntax and structure of the Unix shell, but nevermind ... . I ask who has misled N00Bs otherwise? IJACK will you speak up?

Not to add to the trolling of the thread because you are going wayyyy of topic of what OP posed, but if I may just lay in my $0.02.

I have been a long time *nix user, not 22 years but a long time. One thing that all new users to *nix must understand that it is very different then M$ or Apple. It is not different as it would be to buy a Mac and learn that when you have been using PC all your life, it is different as to the point that sometimes things just don't work the way you need them to. It may be due to the fact your hardware is not fully supported or the fact that nobody has developed specs for it yet. You need to remember it is Open Source so it is the community's responcability to create patches and updates for the ever growing differences in hardware. Though you can also look at it as a learning experience as I did and take what you have done to the community and create help for other users that may be having the same problem.
I can remember when I was in highschool sitting for hours in front of a bash prompt trying to get slackware to work on my iBook G4. Though many hours of patience I was able to configure Xorg properly and compile firmware for the wireless card.
However that is IF you run into problems. I was running into problems with YDL *nix and Slackware on my iBook back in the early 2000's, many improvements have been made to the *nix framework in between now and then. As I said prior my netbook is running Lubuntu, I had no problems on the install and everything works great right off the bat. (Which took me by suprise because the Acer I am using has a widescreen monitor when I surly thought I was gonna need to do some working in xorg.conf). Espically with Ubuntu and all its children being the most popular flavor you are going to have much more of a community behind you and much more support for hardware.
Though I must end this rant now, my girlfriend brought me food.

Regards,
d4rk0wl
December 24, 2012 7:31:19 AM

sam_p_lay said:
I'm not sure sticking to Office would break those ties :-) Very good point though - I'd never considered Play on Linux for anything other than games. As for devices, how is Android on Linux? I tried mine (Sony Xperia U) on Xubuntu 12.04 and had no luck, but maybe I just needed to put in a bit more time and effort. I was hoping it would just open like a USB stick though as a folder, like it does in Windows.

My printer (printer/scanner combo) picked up flawlessly for printing, though didn't work for scanning (no scanners connected apparently!). Which is weird considering the model number of the printer was correctly identified, so whoever added in support must have known it's a printer too... again, maybe with time and effort I could have fixed it, but I don't often use the scanner part anyway.

Let me guess, Canon? While Canon has finally come on board with the printer drivers for Linux, which is greatly appreciated, their support for scanners not so good yet. Give them time.

Also my 2 cents. Saying Linux is on less than 1% of desktops is like saying the top 1% pay 60% of income taxes not ALL taxes you'll note (how he came up with that I don't know since so many versions are free to download). So, how about laptops? Netbooks? Phones? Servers? Tablets? Websites?
December 24, 2012 12:51:06 PM

D0:

No **rant** at all. You speak the simple truth. I suspect all who make *nix systems their own have an analogous **moment of enlightenment** after which the wood still needs to be chopped every day.

d4rk0wl said:
You do have a point :p . I am aware that Libreoffice can do everything M$ office can and can even create .doc and .docx formatted files and I do use it as well. However I have just grown so accustom to using M$ office over the years it is easier for me to stick with it. Plus I already own office so might as well get my use out of my money :lol: 

Not to add to the trolling of the thread because you are going wayyyy of topic of what OP posed, but if I may just lay in my $0.02.

I have been a long time *nix user, not 22 years but a long time. One thing that all new users to *nix must understand that it is very different then M$ or Apple. It is not different as it would be to buy a Mac and learn that when you have been using PC all your life, it is different as to the point that sometimes things just don't work the way you need them to. It may be due to the fact your hardware is not fully supported or the fact that nobody has developed specs for it yet. You need to remember it is Open Source so it is the community's responcability to create patches and updates for the ever growing differences in hardware. Though you can also look at it as a learning experience as I did and take what you have done to the community and create help for other users that may be having the same problem.
I can remember when I was in highschool sitting for hours in front of a bash prompt trying to get slackware to work on my iBook G4. Though many hours of patience I was able to configure Xorg properly and compile firmware for the wireless card.
However that is IF you run into problems. I was running into problems with YDL *nix and Slackware on my iBook back in the early 2000's, many improvements have been made to the *nix framework in between now and then. As I said prior my netbook is running Lubuntu, I had no problems on the install and everything works great right off the bat. (Which took me by suprise because the Acer I am using has a widescreen monitor when I surly thought I was gonna need to do some working in xorg.conf). Espically with Ubuntu and all its children being the most popular flavor you are going to have much more of a community behind you and much more support for hardware.
Though I must end this rant now, my girlfriend brought me food.

Regards,
d4rk0wl

December 24, 2012 1:53:21 PM

stillblue said:
Let me guess, Canon? While Canon has finally come on board with the printer drivers for Linux, which is greatly appreciated, their support for scanners not so good yet. Give them time.

Also my 2 cents. Saying Linux is on less than 1% of desktops is like saying the top 1% pay 60% of income taxes not ALL taxes you'll note (how he came up with that I don't know since so many versions are free to download). So, how about laptops? Netbooks? Phones? Servers? Tablets? Websites?

Kodak actually. Not my choice (it's actually my girlfriend's printer) and it's a pig. Constant paper jams, takes a month to do anything... damned good print quality though.

I actually have no clue what nss000 is saying... but I like it :-D He's like Gandalf or something! And can we please stop referring to Microsoft as "m$"? It was cute in 2004. But yeah, shame on them for trying to make a profit from their business! Those monsters.
December 25, 2012 7:07:05 AM

sam_p_lay said:
I actually have no clue what nss000 is saying... but I like it :-D He's like Gandalf or something! And can we please stop referring to Microsoft as "m$"? It was cute in 2004. But yeah, shame on them for trying to make a profit from their business! Those monsters.

:lol:  agreed, it is very interesting, made me think of Gandalf too. Also, regarding your thoughts of Microsoft I really thought you were serious the first time a read that and it took me a moment to realise it was sarcasm.

I guess I am just grumpy because I really don't like Windows, it may work for some, but it does not work for me. I have had an much easier time sifting through the bowls of *nix then I have on Windows.

Also, I don't want my previous post to sound if I am attempting to drive people away. I welcome anyone who wants to try the *nix world. We need more people, however I just want to prepare someone for a potential learning curve they might have ahead of them.

December 25, 2012 11:21:55 AM

Libre Office works fine on Linux. You don't need MS office. You can even use Google Docs if you wanted.

You need anti-virus on Ubuntu as much as you would on a mac. In other words, not needed.

Hardware that works with Windows will be compatible. No questions asked.

Games that run on Windows will not run on Linux unless there is a Linux version available or you run it under an emulator.

Hope this helps :D  .
December 26, 2012 5:38:18 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Kodak actually. Not my choice (it's actually my girlfriend's printer) and it's a pig. Constant paper jams, takes a month to do anything... damned good print quality though.

I live in the DR Congo. My objection to M$ is not that they wish to be profitable, more power to them, but that they are predatory which is hindering the third world from obtaining computers. When virtually every computer you purchase has the price of Windows included it takes many people out of the market. Ubuntu was developed specifically to address that issue, Mark Shuttleworth, a South African, felt that if he could support an alternative to Windows more people could profit from the use of computers because they'd be somewhat cheaper. Unfortunately the big manufacturers still don't offer computers without an OS so that we can take full advantage of Ubuntu or other free OS's. Now that M$ is in direct competition with the manufacturers maybe they'll change but I fear that M$ is telling them if they don't put Windows on all their hardware they'll pay more for their licences. Also, we see with each generation of Windows M$ seeks to prevent installing other OS's. Vista by putting unmovable files at the beginning and end of hard drives preventing the creation of new partitions. 7 by using 4 primary drives preventing the creation of a primary for Linux. 8 with it's boot loader crap. Fortunately the community has the best hackers in the world and solutions are found.

I can guarantee you that there are children needlessly going hungry in Africa (and other third world places) because of M$.

So I have this to say to M$ Hey M$, how dare you (deleted out of deference to Amdfangirl's sensitive and nurturing nature) forever?

PS: Prior to this post I have never used "M$" before, I shall refrain in the future but felt it appropriate to my rant.
December 26, 2012 9:36:23 AM

Haha you certainly worked enough of them in there. I am aware of the 'secure boot' (or whatever it is) issues with Windows 8, but in my experience with Windows 7, Linux was dead easy to get set up. I was using a different drive though, which maybe made things easier.

I don't think it's wrong for Microsoft to want to see Windows running in Africa, but they should firstly charge a lot less (maybe 1/4 the price or something) and secondly, do a better job of making something lightweight for older hardware (Starter Edition was a joke). Though maybe Windows 8 fulfils that second need - apparently much more lightweight.

Or even charge next to nothing (like the equivalent of $5 or something), in the knowledge that in a few decades, or however long it takes for Africa to become wealthy and prosperous, they can start charging the same price to people who are already familiar with Windows. With all the charity work Gates has done and the fact he still has involvement in Microsoft, you'd think he'd force the company to be more reasonable in the third world.

d4rk0wl, I think it depends on what you want/need to do with your OS. The Mac/Linux guys say Windows is difficult, but for me, Windows 7 has been absolutely flawless in doing everything I need it to do, and doing it with style. The Mac/Windows guys say Linux is difficult to use. With one or two obvious exceptions (Gentoo, Arch), I've found Linux is dead easy to use also.

And although I find OSX a bit slow with its anti-keyboard nature and frustratingly dumbed-down, that's easy enough too. So maybe it's just people who are using their OS for less mainstream tasks (than the usual browsing, gaming etc) that would have difficulties with some systems and not with others?
December 26, 2012 9:51:01 AM

Quote:
With all the charity work Gates has done and the fact he still has involvement in Microsoft, you'd think he'd force the company to be more reasonable in the third world.

Charity work. That's like saying "But I gave him a band-aid after I shot him!".
December 26, 2012 1:05:21 PM

LOL! A funny analogy, but hasn't he given billions in charity?
December 28, 2012 10:26:17 AM

sam_p_lay said:
LOL! A funny analogy, but hasn't he given billions in charity?

Let's try another analogy.

Don Mafioso, exclusive distributor of fine narcotics, very generously opened up the Don Mafioso and son's free soup kitchen for drug addicts.

Would you call that charity? Or would you call that a public relations stunt?

Getting obscenely rich in part by adding to the oppression and misery of the world's poorest and then patting yourself on the back for your generosity just doesn't cut it for me.
December 28, 2012 11:23:45 AM

You might feel differently if you knew the numbers. $28 billion donated by 2007 for example. I'm not sure what proportion of his wealth that is, but I thought $28 billion actually was the size of his fortune. He's said that when he's done, 95% of the money he made will be given to charity. So Don Mafioso just gave back 95% of that narcotics money. How about that.

That's also the first time I've seen an operating system compared to cocaine... which drug is Linux?
December 28, 2012 11:51:25 AM

sam_p_lay said:
You might feel differently if you knew the numbers. $28 billion donated by 2007 for example. I'm not sure what proportion of his wealth that is, but I thought $28 billion actually was the size of his fortune. He's said that when he's done, 95% of the money he made will be given to charity. So Don Mafioso just gave back 95% of that narcotics money. How about that.

If he puts that 5% into a fund that returns 10% annually he would still have $2.5 million dollars a day spending money without ever touching the principle. Oh the torture!!!

He's a changed man, bully for him. He chooses what he does with the money that he gained through predatory practices that oppressed poor people. And his company still uses those predatory practices. Now, if he were to donate his money to a blind trust that distributes it anonymously with the sole instruction being to try and address the wrongs he committed, apologize for those wrongs and never do them again then I might consider him a human being after all.

Quote:
That's also the first time I've seen an operating system compared to cocaine... which drug is Linux?

Ambrosia.
December 28, 2012 12:01:40 PM

Haha wow... there's a lot of hatred in your posts. You've made some ridiculous statements, for example that children are going hungry because they can't afford a new computer - run that one by me again? I get that you're angry, and I know Africa is a mess. But I think your anger is misdirected. I'd be more inclined to blame kill-crazy psychopath dictators and warlords like Idi Amin than a billionaire computer nerd like Bill Gates.
December 28, 2012 12:48:31 PM

Bill Gates is a nice person.

Better philanthropist than Jobs anyway.

Still seen as the "evil one".

Melinda Gates foundation is awesome. He dedicates so much time to it now.
December 28, 2012 1:07:04 PM

amdfangirl said:

Still seen as the "evil one".

Haha +1 to that!
December 28, 2012 1:58:09 PM

To paint Mark Shuttleworth as the great philanthropist whilst Bill Gates is the evil one is plain ridiculous. Shuttleworth paid $20 million to take a trip into space. How many starving children in Africa would that have saved, or how many computers could it have bought?

Ubuntu is a great OS, as is Windows, but don't fool yourself that the people behind it aren't making a fortune. It's just a different marketing model. And Microsoft have given a lot of free or very low-cost software to developing countries and to students. They also have a great record for charitable giving (as opposed to Apple, for example).
December 29, 2012 7:14:07 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Haha wow... there's a lot of hatred in your posts. You've made some ridiculous statements, for example that children are going hungry because they can't afford a new computer - run that one by me again? I get that you're angry, and I know Africa is a mess. But I think your anger is misdirected. I'd be more inclined to blame kill-crazy psychopath dictators and warlords like Idi Amin than a billionaire computer nerd like Bill Gates.

It's not hatred, if Bill Gates were to up and die today I won't be in the streets doing a jig (like I did when Mobutu died and will when Kagame and Mugabe die). As to the starving kids. If you take books away from schools will that have a positive or negative effect? Microsoft's predatory practices put millions of kids at an increased learning disadvantage. They put small businesses at an increased disadvantage. Government bodies at an increased disadvantage. I've seen WWI, not WWII, I, vintage typewriters in use at the governor's building. Don't you think any of that would lead to hungry children?

Quote:

And you know that how? What if Jobs was dropping billions here and there without saying anything? Some people are like that. Christians are supposed to be like that, read Mathew 6. Gates foundation has a nice PR department making sure you know what a great guy he is. I don't object to the work of the Gates foundation, the people working there do good things. My objection is imagining that Bill Gates is a philanthropist when he spends pocket change (for him) with trumpets blaring while his company continues the predatory practices. "I FREED MY SLAVES!!!! Then I bought new ones."

Quote:
To paint Mark Shuttleworth as the great philanthropist whilst Bill Gates is the evil one is plain ridiculous. Shuttleworth paid $20 million to take a trip into space. How many starving children in Africa would that have saved, or how many computers could it have bought?

I simply pointed out the why of Ubuntu's existence. Gates, like Shuttleworth, are free to spend their money however they want. Africa doesn't need charity as much as it needs obstacles removed. Microsoft is one such obstacle. Bad governments another which computers could help alleviate. Shuttleworth is not.

Here's some trivia for you. Ubuntu means for humanity in a South African language. Where I am it means the ancestors that look over and protect us. I kinda like that.
December 29, 2012 7:23:43 AM

stillblue said:

And you know that how? What if Jobs was dropping billions here and there without saying anything? Some people are like that. Christians are supposed to be like that, read Mathew 6.

Steve Jobs is Buddhist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

Quote:
Philanthropy

Arik Hesseldahl of BusinessWeek magazine stated that "Jobs isn't widely known for his association with philanthropic causes", compared to Bill Gates's efforts.[151] In contrast to Gates, Jobs did not sign the Giving Pledge of Warren Buffett which challenged the world's richest billionaires to give at least half their wealth to charity.[152] In an interview with Playboy in 1985, Jobs said in respect to money that "the challenges are to figure out how to live with it and to reinvest it back into the world which means either giving it away or using it to express your concerns or values."[153] Jobs also added that when he has some time we would start a public foundation but for now he does charitable acts privately.[154]

After resuming control of Apple in 1997, Jobs eliminated all corporate philanthropy programs initially.[155] Jobs's friends told The New York Times that he felt that expanding Apple would have done more good than giving money to charity.[156] Later, under Jobs, Apple signed to participate in Product Red program, producing red versions of devices to give profits from sales to charity. Apple has gone on to become the largest contributor to the charity since its initial involvement with it. The chief of the Product Red project, singer Bono cited Jobs saying there was "nothing better than the chance to save lives", when he initially approached Apple with the invitation to participate in the program.[157] Through its sales, Apple has been the largest contributor to Product Red's gift to the Global Fund, which fights AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, according to Bono.[158][159]
December 29, 2012 8:02:02 AM

Buddhism is cool, some great philosophy there. Kinda like Hindu as well, one God but many manifestations so they accept the Jesus could be just another manifestation, ie they don't reject other religions out of hand. That's something other religions could learn from, religions are people's faith and nobody can say their faith is correct and all the others wrong. I have a Hindu friend here puts up Christmas decorations in his home. Interestingly enough most if not all religions have some version of the golden rule in it's teachings.
December 29, 2012 8:03:03 AM

My point is simple. Steve Jobs is Buddhist.

That is all.
December 29, 2012 9:12:22 AM

amdfangirl said:
My point is simple. Steve Jobs is Buddhist.

That is all.

Sorry but I'm not sure what your point is? 'Steve Jobs is a Buddhist.' is a statement. Is your point something to do with philanthropy in Buddhism? I don't know much about their beliefs or values so maybe you could enlighten me :-)
December 29, 2012 9:14:22 AM

stillblue said:
It's not hatred, if Bill Gates were to up and die today I won't be in the streets doing a jig (like I did when Mobutu died and will when Kagame and Mugabe die). As to the starving kids. If you take books away from schools will that have a positive or negative effect? Microsoft's predatory practices put millions of kids at an increased learning disadvantage. They put small businesses at an increased disadvantage. Government bodies at an increased disadvantage. I've seen WWI, not WWII, I, vintage typewriters in use at the governor's building. Don't you think any of that would lead to hungry children?

That is a good point actually. Maybe the best solution is for them to buy used. You did find a couple of computer manufacturers in your other thread though that provide systems without Windows installed.
December 29, 2012 10:27:45 AM

sam_p_lay said:
That is a good point actually. Maybe the best solution is for them to buy used. You did find a couple of computer manufacturers in your other thread though that provide systems without Windows installed.

For schools the best option so far is to take the crap that gets donated (when's the last time you saw 95 installed on a computer?) and install a thin server on one decent new computer. Not perfect but better than nothing. It would be nice if donated computers get tested before coming. I'm going to try one of those windowsless providers first chance I get but it would be much nicer if we didn't have to go through the extra hoops and get mainline manufacturers to offer less expensive OS free systems.
December 29, 2012 10:33:07 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Sorry but I'm not sure what your point is? 'Steve Jobs is a Buddhist.' is a statement. Is your point something to do with philanthropy in Buddhism? I don't know much about their beliefs or values so maybe you could enlighten me :-)

When you become enlightened then you can obtain Nirvana but first you must purify yourself. Begin by eliminating Microsoft products from your life. :ange: 
December 29, 2012 11:01:42 AM

sam_p_lay said:

The way he wrote his statement (see earlier post) implies that Steve Jobs is Christian.

stillblue said:
When you become enlightened then you can obtain Nirvana but first you must purify yourself. Begin by eliminating Microsoft products from your life. :ange: 

Haha, good luck with that.
December 29, 2012 11:02:02 AM

stillblue said:
For schools the best option so far is to take the crap that gets donated (when's the last time you saw 95 installed on a computer?) and install a thin server on one decent new computer. Not perfect but better than nothing. It would be nice if donated computers get tested before coming. I'm going to try one of those windowsless providers first chance I get but it would be much nicer if we didn't have to go through the extra hoops and get mainline manufacturers to offer less expensive OS free systems.

Why even bother with Dell etc? Surely the smaller companies put less profit margin on their systems anyway? I'd stick with the ones recommended and forget Dell. As for Windows 95, surely the most important thing is simply that kids can access the Internet? I know Windows 95 is dated and ugly by modern standards, but you can still get online with it.

Also, can you buy Raspberry Pi there? I think one of its goals was affordable computers for the third world. I spent £30 (£50 with the accessories) and I have a silent computer with tiny power consumption that does everything a full-sized Linux PC could do.

stillblue said:

LOL... nope. Most importantly I'm a gamer, and also from time to time I like to connect my phone to my computer to transfer photos, music etc. I also kinda like how I've been using Windows 7 for three years now and haven't come across a single bug or glitch. In three years I've seen it blue screen twice - once due to AMD graphics drivers and once due to a Flash update. So I'm feeling my £70 was pretty well-spent! That's certainly not to say I don't appreciate Linux though - I have both installed.
December 29, 2012 11:07:05 AM

amdfangirl said:
The way he wrote his statement (see earlier post) implies that Steve Jobs is Christian.

Gotcha :-) Yeah Christianity probably wasn't cool enough for Steve.
December 29, 2012 11:13:00 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Why even bother with Dell etc? Surely the smaller companies put less profit margin on their systems anyway? I'd stick with the ones recommended and forget Dell. As for Windows 95, surely the most important thing is simply that kids can access the Internet? I know Windows 95 is dated and ugly by modern standards, but you can still get online with it.

Also, can you buy Raspberry Pi there? I think one of its goals was affordable computers for the third world. I spent £30 (£50 with the accessories) and I have a silent computer with tiny power consumption that does everything a full-sized Linux PC could do.

LOL... nope. Most importantly I'm a gamer, and also from time to time I like to connect my phone to my computer to transfer photos, music etc. I also kinda like how I've been using Windows 7 for three years now and haven't come across a single bug or glitch. In three years I've seen it blue screen twice - once due to AMD graphics drivers and once due to a Flash update. So I'm feeling my £70 was pretty well-spent! That's certainly not to say I don't appreciate Linux though - I have both installed.

I would prefer to put a secure modern browser and a secure modern kernel onto the computer - that means Linux, of course.

Raspberry Pis are designed to teach programming to little people and to be used for little inventive hacks, like modding a Roomba (robotic vacuum cleaner) to record video and respond to a playstation controller while vaccuming.
December 29, 2012 11:17:15 AM

Haha I'm pretty sure it was you who was telling me exactly how much "designed for" actually counts for anything :-) It's simply an ARM-based system you can run Linux on (or Unix, Android, RiscOS etc), like you run Ubuntu on your tablet. I hook up a monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard and I have a computer. I can program with it (same as I can on my main computer) but I don't have to.

EDIT: And preferences are fine, but this is starving kids in Africa we're talking about. I think they're probably less in need of preferences and more in need of the essentials.
December 30, 2012 6:00:24 AM

It was not my intention to imply Jobs was Christian, only to give an example of how in at least one case a religion demands that charity be done privately.
When old computers are used as thin clients all that is used is the keyboard, mouse monitor and modem, all the processing is done on he master. Unless you need he storage space you could even remove the hard drive. You wouldn't want to do any video processing or gaming but a computer with 4gbs of ram can easily run ten copies of libreoffice.

Maybe we should start a ne thread, "Microsoft, evil empire or misunderstood gentle giant?"
December 30, 2012 6:50:42 AM

Or perhaps just "Microsoft, software company".

Life is not so black and white. That people in Africa lack computers is hardly the fault of a software company. Computers do not have to be sold with Microsoft software included (several examples have already been cited in this thread as sources of "bare" computers - I, for one, never buy a PC that includes an operating system; with Macs I have no choice), but Microsoft do sell their software to manufacturers at very attractive prices. Would it help Africa if they charged more?

The choice of operating system has been with us for many years. Linux and Windows both have their place; choose the one that suits you best. The real scandal is the situation where some of the world's biggest hardware companies are using what amounts to little more than slave labour to produce their shiny gadgets and we in the West are encouraged to throw away those gadgets and buy the newest model every year.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that Microsoft has third-world sweatshops producing their code.
December 30, 2012 8:06:26 AM

Ijack said:
Or perhaps just "Microsoft, software company".

Life is not so black and white.

+1 to that. People seem to have a tendency to anthropomorphise these huge corporations as if they can be boiled down into a single person/personality. AMD is the classic example - seen by the legions of fanboys as some poor, defenceless wounded animal taking a kicking from Intel and nVidia. They fail to consider that this is still a vast corporation making billions and with more wealth, power and influence than they could ever dream of having.
May 24, 2013 6:05:14 PM

Drug? Linux ?? Linux = cod liver oil .... for those of you old enough to have worried about vitamin-D during the 1940-1950(s) winters.

sam_p_lay said:

!