E6600 now or Q6600 in July?

adam32

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
I'm planning on building a new system and I pretty much have everything figured out but the CPU. So far I plan on having a p35 mobo, 4gb ddr2-800 ram, Seasonic s12 650w psu, and a evga 8800gts in a Lian Li PC-60b plus II case.

I mostly use my computer for gaming, watching movies, and the usual internet stuff with a little programming on the side. I have never overclocked before, but I'd like to (I have a Dell currently). I have not decided on a CPU cooler yet but I figured I'd wait until I finally decided on a proc.

So seeing as the Q6600 will end up costing about the same as an e6600 today, would it be smarter of me to wait until july and pick up a Q6600 to be a little bit more future proofed, or just go ahead and get the e6600 now? Note that I am the sort of person that will go years between hardware upgrades so I do not know if that would make a difference.

Mondoman

Splendid
If you need a new PC now, buy now. If you don't, wait. There will always be better chips on the horizon. If you buy now, you can always upgrade to a quad-core in a couple years' time (at a fairly low price) if it turns out to be useful.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Note that I am the sort of person that will go years between hardware upgrades so I do not know if that would make a difference.
In that case wait for the Quad.

As for me I got the E6600 since I was getting sick of my old computer from the 90s :roll: And Ill upgrade again in February 2009.

So, since you dont seem to be in a rush, you're better off waiting seeing as the soon-to-be-available games can make a nice use of Quads.