Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just installed Linux on a new computer with a used hard drive...

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 26, 2012 6:55:50 PM

Hello,
A few days ago, I built my first computer for gaming instead of buying a pre-built. The hardware works fine, but I used the hard drive from my old computer which had Windows XP on it. Windows XP installation is evil and made me reactivate the license, but I wasn't able to because it wouldn't connect me to the internet and when I used the phone number they gave, I wasn't able to activate it either.
I fiddled around with it, trying to bypass the activation, but I eventually ended up reformatting my hard drive and installed Ubuntu Linux because I didn't have a pay OS at the time. First I want to say that I love Linux and it was so easy to install compared to Windows, and the interface of Ubuntu was very easy to catch onto for a new Linux user. However, most of the games I play don't work with Wine (such as Unity Player games).
Knowing that I've had Windows XP and now Linux on my hard drive, I would like to know what Windows OS I can buy alongside of Linux to play games. I don't know if OEM would work on my system and I'm looking to pay around $50-$75 range. I'd prefer Windows 7 or Vista, but in my price range I would settle for XP if I can figure out what version to buy.

Best solution

a b 5 Linux
December 26, 2012 7:33:43 PM

It is not really a linux related question, but any of those windows OS will work fine.

The OEM version of windows is exactly the same as retail, except that it is tied to only 1 computer and comes without call support from microsoft.

Buy the OEM version if you want to save $$$
December 26, 2012 7:49:42 PM

skittle said:
It is not really a linux related question, but any of those windows OS will work fine.

The OEM version of windows is exactly the same as retail, except that it is tied to only 1 computer and comes without call support from microsoft.

Buy the OEM version if you want to save $$$

Thank you - I knew it didn't fall into Linux exactly but I couldn't decide on the right category.
m
l
December 26, 2012 7:49:51 PM

Best answer selected by taylerzy.
m
l
Related resources
!