Zaurus 5600 SD - unable to remove directory

Tags:
April 11, 2004 10:36:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I tried to install Perl 5.8.0 on my Zaurus 5600's Secure Digital card.
Originally I got errors because I didn't have enough disk space, so I
deleted some MP3 files and tried again. This should have worked, since
it's a 256 meg chip. But it failed because it was unable to remove some
directories.

Here's a session showing the problem.

# pwd
/mnt/card/home/tmp/ipkg/Perl/data/perl/perl5.8.0
# ls -al lib
# ls -ld lib
drwxrwxrwx 496 root root 16384 Apr 11 12:50 lib
# rmdir lib
rmdir: unable to remove `lib': Directory not empty

I've tried everything I can think of including removing and replacing
the SD card and resetting the machine to no avail.

The only alternative I can see now is formatting the SD. That may be
the next step.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ralph C.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 11:05:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Gatekeeper <ralph@ralphcrawford.deletethis.org> wrote in

> rmdir: unable to remove `lib': Directory not empty

You can't remove a directory while there are still files in it. You have
to first remove those files, then remove the directory. The files may be
hidden, but the error message you get says there are files in the directory
of some kind.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 3:27:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On linux, rmdir doesn't have the windows '/s' switch to remove all files and
sub directories. Use 'rm -fr yourdir' instead.
rm remove
-f force
-r recursive
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 12, 2004 6:41:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Thanks for the advice but I already tried that. I wish it was that simple.

The directory is definitely empty and I definitely have the necessary
permissions to remove it. I just keep getting the error. I'm convinced
there's a bug in the file system. Here's another example session to
demonstrate that the problem is probably the system.

The file system is VFAT on an SD chip without write protection (the tab
is pushed up on the chip).

# first I become root
bash-2.05$ su
Password:
# now I cd to one directory above the problem directory
bash-2.05# cd /mnt/card/home/tmp/ipkg/Perl/data/perl/perl5.8.0
# ls -al demonstrates that the directory is completely empty - no
# files, hidden or otherwise
bash-2.05# ls -al lib
# now ls -ld . to demonstrate that I have read, write, execute
# permission on the current directory
bash-2.05# ls -ld .
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 16384 Apr 11 12:50 .
bash-2.05#
# now ls -ld lib to demonstrate that I have read, write, execute
# permission on the lib directory (just to be thorough - technically
# I don't need it)
bash-2.05# ls -ld lib
drwxrwxrwx 496 root root 16384 Apr 11 12:50 lib
bash-2.05#
# now the attempted removal
bash-2.05# rm -rf lib
rm: unable to remove `lib': Directory not empty
bash-2.05#

No deal. Either I'm missing something or there's something wrong with
the file system.

One weird anomally that may have something to do with it is the output
of the command "ls -ld lib" which shows 496 links to the lib directory.
All parents from tmp on down have only 3. Also I can create and
remove directories to my heart's content in
/mnt/card/home/tmp/ipkg/Perl/data/perl/perl5.8.0, and can also create
and remove files and directories in the lib subdirectory. I just can't
remove lib.

Ralph

Again any help would be most appreciated.

AM Christophe wrote:
> On linux, rmdir doesn't have the windows '/s' switch to remove all files and
> sub directories. Use 'rm -fr yourdir' instead.
> rm remove
> -f force
> -r recursive
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 7:37:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 02:41:55 -0400
Gatekeeper <ralph@ralphcrawford.deletethis.org> wrote:

> The directory is definitely empty and I definitely have the
> necessary

> The file system is VFAT on an SD chip without write protection
> (the tab is pushed up on the chip).
>

> One weird anomally that may have something to do with it is
> the output of the command "ls -ld lib" which shows 496 links
> to the lib directory.
> All parents from tmp on down have only 3. Also I can create
> and
> remove directories to my heart's content in
> /mnt/card/home/tmp/ipkg/Perl/data/perl/perl5.8.0, and can also
> create and remove files and directories in the lib
> subdirectory. I just can't remove lib.

Can you rename lib ???
ie., break the links

TonyB
April 13, 2004 12:19:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I can't try it - I mounted the
SD chip on a Windoze box and did a rmdir and that did the trick.

Thanks to everyone.

Ralph

!