caseyagain

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium. I've had my laptop since Christmas and I haven't run into any problems until now. I've always been able to install normally. A day or two ago, the computer suddenly stopped being able to install anything. When I put in a disk or use Daemon tools, it comes up with the option to run setup.exe, and then it asks if I will allow it, but when I click yes nothing happens. There isn't even an error message. I just checked task manager and it appears that setup.exe doesn't even run.

I tried system restore, but it said that an error occurred and that nothing was changed. I deleted everything in the Program Files/Common Files/InstallShield/Professional/RunTime folder, per suggestion of another website, and that actually made something come up. In fact, every once in a while, the screen does come up to install, I enter the key, and it goes up to asking me where I want to install it... but when I push okay, it stops again.

Please help me?

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
what antivirus program are you running? sometimes the security on those will disable software installations. have you tried temporarily disabling your antivirus while you install the program?

caseyagain

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I hadn't renewed my subscription to Norton, so it wasn't running. I renewed it an hour ago, and ran it (I thought there might be a virus). It came up with a tracking cookie thing, and I deleted it, but it's still not working.

you might have a virus. I encountered one recently on a PC I was working on (anti-spyware 2009, was the lovely name of this BEAST) - we couldn't get anything to run, no programs of any kind except maybe some here and there. I managed to get malwarebytes off a thumb drive but when I clicked to run it nothing would happen, nada, not even in safe mode.

We did a reinstall as this old XP install needed one anyway