Ubuntu 12.04 xrdp Failure

COhman

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Greetings,

I recently changed to a new datacenter and in the process I went from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Ubuntu 12.04 because I feel and gather from others it will be better for what services I have. I did so under the impression I could RDP, similar to Windows in concept but obviously with an Ubuntu UI. Worth noting is that I believe the syste

At any rate, I just recently got all the new account information. I SSH'ed in with PuttY, logged in and all that jazz, and then entered 'sudo apt-get install xrdp'. The service installed and apparently booted up properly. I connected via RDP fine, entered the login information and it ran down a list, apparently verifying fine, but was met with a screen that does not appear to be, well anything. Image follows.

http://i.imgur.com/bHUbe.png

Any help would be appreciated. I've not used any recent version of Ubuntu, but I'm not completely in the dark.

Solution
IIRC there was a bug in xrdp+unity3d that causes this. I believe using a different window manager will solve the issue.
but question your self: why even use xrdp when you can just use ssh :| Your not in windows anymore, everything in your system is configured in plain text files.
IIRC there was a bug in xrdp+unity3d that causes this. I believe using a different window manager will solve the issue.
but question your self: why even use xrdp when you can just use ssh :| Your not in windows anymore, everything in your system is configured in plain text files.

Solution

gnidesign

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Good question skittle. In my case I need to access my Ubuntu 'desktop' which is talking to the world outside the router. Then rdc to my Windows 7 box to figure out why it's NOT talking to the rest of the world. It's a frigging shame huh?