Radeon 9000 DVI output to sony grand vega 3 LCD (what reso..

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 11, 2005 1:25:28 PM

since the grand vega only has one dvi input on it. I plan on
buying that 30 dollar cable that switches my radeon 9000 all
in wonder from dvi out to dvi to componant out. Then hooking
it to my grand vega 3 50" lcd. What is the best resolution I
can expect from this?

Thanks,

comb
January 11, 2005 2:29:59 PM

"combfilter" <asdf@asdf.com> wrote in message
> since the grand vega only has one dvi input on it. I plan on
> buying that 30 dollar cable that switches my radeon 9000 all
> in wonder from dvi out to dvi to componant out. Then hooking
> it to my grand vega 3 50" lcd. What is the best resolution I
> can expect from this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> comb

Don't assume that your card can output a component or DVI stream your set
can use. Contact the card vender first to confirm that it will work.

Richard.
January 11, 2005 6:08:31 PM

"combfilter" <asdf@asdf.com> wrote in message
> since the grand vega only has one dvi input on it. I plan on
> buying that 30 dollar cable that switches my radeon 9000 all
> in wonder from dvi out to dvi to componant out. Then hooking
> it to my grand vega 3 50" lcd. What is the best resolution I
> can expect from this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> comb

Here's the resource that should help you answer all the question you could
ask

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=4de271f...
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 3:19:51 AM

The way I understand DVI is that the display communicates with the video
source and the source then delivers what the display wants. And the display
should want what it displays best, which is native resolution for digital
display devices, in other words, top resolution of the device.
If you connect a LCD monitor to a computer out via DVI, you will not be able
to select anything, it's automatically timed perfect for the monitor. I
expect a LCD TV to be no different. I have a Radeon 9600, it's no big deal
to set it up for 720p. It won't do 1080i, but it will do 1080p. Anyway, DVI
on a LCD, DLP or other digital display device is meant to "drive" the panel
directly, without any need for the display to scale anything.
The only concern I have is that this would actually make sense, so it may
not be true :-)

!