Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Steambox and Linux gaming.

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 8, 2013 3:54:36 PM

I read the article that Steam is going to make a Steambox which will be based on Linux, not Windows.

So, do you think with the misdirection Windows 8 is going to, that this is the time for Linux to make a move to gain market share?
I think if the Linux community rallied for Game studios to code their games for Linux (is it as easy as using OpenGL over DirectX?) and Windows, that it would open their games to a bigger market?

I don't consider myself a savvy Linux user (Even though I have been using Linux since before there was a graphical interface) and I find even the best Linux distros need a lot of work (Mint/Ubuntu) to catch up with Windows. I don't think there is that much to do, if Apple can do it, then I know all the talented volunteers can do it better. I still have trouble installing Flash manually in any new Linux distro, and I am a smart guy but its to archaic.

I think its prudent to make a list of all the short-comings of Linux and just polish those parts. If I could play GuildWars 2 and Planetside 2 in Linux natively, I would use Linux, not Windows. Its so close...

Is it that hard to port games to Linux?

Just wondering and open to hearing opinions.

Xaephod

More about : steambox linux gaming

a b 4 Gaming
January 10, 2013 9:41:46 PM

Already been done! Google 'Youtube why Linux sucks'. Don't worry - those guys love Linux. But they know it needs work. The shortcomings have been identified in a whole load of articles online and the Linux community knows what's missing. I can't help feeling that if they were being paid for their time (like Microsoft's coders) that the results might be better. Bug fixing is horrible work and I couldn't imagine doing it if it wasn't my job and I wasn't being paid to do it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 4, 2013 4:03:09 PM

I like Linux and use it often too but ,like you xaephod, I am no gnu/Linux guru. it seems like some things could me made so much simpler. I am not against terminal or anything but sometimes I just to double click something and have it work, not have to sudo chmod +h amd.catalyst.12.11-linux.distro_x86.x86-x64.run and all that nonsense to get the driver executable. I think Steam for Linux is a good start, not so sure about a steambox just yet.

I do remember reading somewhere that directx is better than opengl, plus when you buy the developers kit from MS you get tons of support and documentation. when you get opengl that's all you get, no support or documentation or anything really. in the same article John McCarmick? of Id even stated that direct was better but the company has there own opengl documentation from their years of using it so they won't switch.

personally, I wouldn't think it would be too hard (WINE converts DirectX to opengl ... though slowly). I do concur that AMD drivers suck (I use AMD). windows has supported audio over hdmi for years now on amd ... I just barely got it working on Ubuntu.

like I said though, my opinion is that the steam client for Linux is a step in the right direction but the steambox ... not so good. fact is windows owns gaming ... I think it will take more than windows 8 flopping to change that.
February 8, 2013 12:11:45 AM

there has also been much talk of a linux based steam operating system compatible with all their games, what do you guys think? i would love having the compatibility but i would hate waiting 6 months for updates.
m
l
February 14, 2013 11:22:42 PM

Best answer selected by xaephod.
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:38:57 AM

Vinylscratchgamer said:
there has also been much talk of a linux based steam operating system compatible with all their games, what do you guys think? i would love having the compatibility but i would hate waiting 6 months for updates.

agreed, but you also have to look other game devs. steamux is cool in theory but null in void if the games are valve games I love l2d/2, tf2, half-life, and portal but I like my other games too. sure you could probably use WINE but I have so much trouble getting anything but older games working.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 16, 2013 1:41:47 AM

Just a note here, I have steam+CS:S running on arch linux with opensource radeon driver.
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:55:00 AM

skittle said:
Just a note here, I have steam+CS:S running on arch linux with opensource radeon driver.

I have it on Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora 18 myself.
m
l
February 16, 2013 4:03:30 AM

lol pretty much all main points are mentioned here. Drivers mostly suck because they are universal/open source. User friendliness is simply not there, main reason macs are so common now. Open GL is just not common at all. Whether its better or worse people will argue all day, but the fact of the matter is that virtually all new games are done in directx, so programers are more familiar with it.
m
l
February 16, 2013 4:28:53 AM

cgner said:
lol pretty much all main points are mentioned here. Drivers mostly suck because they are universal/open source. User friendliness is simply not there, main reason macs are so common now. Open GL is just not common at all. Whether its better or worse people will argue all day, but the fact of the matter is that virtually all new games are done in directx, so programers are more familiar with it.

Right you are. I like Linux, a lot, but can't switch because of the lack of software and crappy hardware drivers. NVidia and AMD have started porting drivers over (admittedly NVidia is better). The whole "free" thing doesn't matter to me (free speech or free beer). I am willing to pay quality software and hardware, heck I may be the only Linux guy willing to "buy" software. I just hope that Steam for Linux opens more doors Linux as a viable replacement for Windows. I would not paying $20 or $30 for a distro that was simpler to use and had more hardware support. I feel that Linux is slowly getting there but still has a long way to go. RMS might not be happy about that, but what he fails to realize is that not everyone wants to rewrite firmware on a dvr or other nonsense he preaches about. Steam for Linux needs work but it's a good start IMHO. I will still keep Windows around though for gaming and music (I hate pulseaudio, sounds like crap on my home theater).
m
l
February 24, 2013 3:25:28 PM

+1 on Linux "getting there". I started using linux only a few years ago with Ubuntu 10.xx. The newest 12.04 update is WAY easier to navigate through and more eye pleasing. I like!
m
l
!