e6600 clocked to 3-3.2?

adelsmud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Thanks for your reply, but by water cooling woud the temperature of the air in my case not decrease? Therefore help the other components like the gpu which would draw in air from the case?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Thanks for your reply, but by water cooling woud the temperature of the air in my case not decrease? Therefore help the other components like the gpu which would draw in air from the case?

The heat taken off the CPU still has to go somewhere. In this case, off the radiator for the water block, which will probably still be in the case. Your case must still have good ventilation. However, if you can have the fan for the water block blowing right out of the case somewhere, that would be good for cooling overall.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
You have to watch....with water, there is no "overflow" air from the HS/F..therefore, chipset, MOSFET(and mobo in general) cooling may need their own seperate fans...unless you have some potent case circulation. :wink:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
You have to watch....with water, there is no "overflow" air from the HS/F..therefore, chipset, MOSFET(and mobo in general) cooling may need their own seperate fans...unless you have some potent case circulation. :wink:

Also a good point. You may find yourself in need of some more smaller fans to keep things cooler on the motherboard.

FH

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
I agree with ajfink. Running an E6600 at 3.05GHz, see my signature. In a tower case the graphics card will tend to be below the CPU. Since heat rises I reckon it would tend to heat up the CPU, not the other way round. Anyhow, very happy with my passive (silent) Thermalright HR-01 and the associated fan duct, which evacuates CPU heat straight out the back. Also the heatsink remains cool to the touch, even when CPU is under load.

I have found that it's a voltage increase much more so than frequency increase which will cause the CPU to get hotter. Since voltage increase is not usually required to overclock an E6600 up to about 3.2GHz, water cooling will be overkill in my opinion.

Although I haven't used it, I'm not sure I agree that water cooling helps decrease the air temperature in the case. Usually a CPU fan contributes to air movement, which you will be missing, that helps cool the Northbridge and voltage regulators located around the CPU socket. That said I've had no problems with my motherboard despite use of a passive CPU heatsink. Went for a motherboard with heat-pipes though, just in case.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Well that cooler has a fan over the cpu area just for the voltage regulators and NB(ect).

It would be over kill, but the option is yours and the cooler has you covered for cooling components on the board.
I didn't notice that when i initially looked....good design(in that respect). :wink:

FH

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
...voltage increase is not usually required to overclock an E6600 up to about 3.2GHz...
Need to correct myself after spending more time with my new machine. Stock voltage gets me ORTHOS (12hr) stable @ 3.05GHz, but no higher.