How to install XP on a External HD and boot on a diferent machine?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hi folks, here is my mission:

Install Windows XP Pro on a External HD (using USB interface) from a Sony Vaio notebook running Windows Vista Home. Then, take this External HD and conect it to the motherboard (using sata interface) and boot windows XP on a desktop PC. Can it be done?

Im having this problem because Im using Sata HDs (I happen to also have a external HD) and windows xp is having trouble reconizing the drives during install. I do know I need floopy drives (usually), but my motherboard do not have a floppy drive conector. No kidding. Seriously, stop laughing. This solution is simply out of the equation.

I could maybe install XP on a IDE drive (I really dont want to buy one tough), if Widows normally reconize IDE drives.

thanks in advance

G

Won't work. Windows XP will crash with a BSOD since the hard drive controllers are different. You can slipstream the SATA driver into the Windows XP CD. Google Nlite.

Grumpy

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Won't work. Windows XP will crash with a BSOD since the hard drive controllers are different. You can slipstream the SATA driver into the Windows XP CD. Goole Nlite.

Grumpy

Slipstream? What is that and how it may benefit me? Please, let me know the procedure.

Also, Does Windos require drives for installing in a IDE HD? I guess thats what Im gonna do, may be easier.

G

No, IDE drivers are built into Windows XP. What motherboard do you have?

Grumpy

G

You motherboard DOES have a floppy drive connector. It's black and next to a red IDE connector. Did you read the FAQs (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/FAQ_Model.aspx?ProductID=1897) about installing Windows? Are you using RAID? Did you set the SATA controller to IDE mode?

Grumpy