apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Hi:
I want to network two computer together. My brother said that since I live in an apartment, hard wired would be better than wireless. Though I built my computer about a year ago, my knowledge is quite limited.
My motherboard has onboard LAN. Does that mean that I do not need to buy additional cards? Also, how do I wire two computers together?

Thanks in advance

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You will need a router and it's best to get wireless router, you can connect either with a cable, hardwire, or wireless. I currently have a ZyXEL X-550. Very easy to set up and never had a problem.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181218

If you're going to hardwire both, you'll need to get an additional RJ45 cable If one is a newer laptop, it should have a wireless connection card. If a PC, you can buy a card for $30 to $40. If you're going wireless, you'll need to set up WEP security, which is easy because the install disk will walk you through it. Basically you'll have to enter a 10 digit, must be numbers and letters and you can only use A - F as the letters. This will keep people from hacking into your network for free internet connection. There are higher level security settings on the X-550 but you'll need a more expensive wireless card that will handle them. WEP should OK unless there are a lot of college age people in your apartment building and some are into computers and even then they'll likely find an unsecure router that will be easier to hack.

webreg

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
indeed its better to have a wireless router
pickup a cheap one and start to enjoy cable-free network

Armor3dOrange

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Inorder to network two computers you need two things:
Router
Network Cards (one for each computer)

Some computers may already have network cards built in ("LAN Cards"). Other computers like Notebooks may even have wireless network cards.

Either way, you will most certainly need a router. Go ahead and buy a wireless router. Even if you decide not to go wireless, you can still just hook your computers to it with regular enthernet.

Armor3dOrange

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
So yes, if your motherboard has "LAN" then theres no nead to buy a regular wired network card. If you decide to use wireless networking, then you may need to buy a wireless network card ($20-$50)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Most routers require at least one computer to be hardwired and they usually come with a cable for this and you can use your onboard LAN, make sure you have the most recent driver from the mobo mfg not the one Microsoft often offers when you do updates. If your connecting the other wirelessly, you will need a wireless card unless it's a laptop given they come with onboard wireless unless it's really old