"Owner" Log in

I noticed that my user name is "Owner" and am wondering if I should use some
other login handle. I'm the only user on my MCE 2005 and I read that it
could make my pc more prone to virus attacks. True? If it makes no
difference, I'm okay with leaving it as is. If not, how do I change it and
still transfer all my files to my new handle?

Thanks in advance.
--
brentromero
"Do not follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they

    My boss insists on creating Limited User accounts to prevent spyware and
    viruses. Well, if that were true, I wouldn't have spent 4 months cleaning up
    all the PCs in one of our offices. The Owner account is the second
    administrator account in the machine. Administrator is also in there but you
    can only see it in Safe Mode.

    I can't see any benefit to creating a Limited User account if you are the
    only one using the machine. The Limited User account comes in handy to
    prevent children and novice users from installing programs or gaining access
    to things they should be messing with.

    If you do create another user, you can find your old documents, favorites,
    desktop shortcuts, etc. in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner folder. Once
    you login as the new user (say Brent), you can copy from the folders in Owner
    to the folders in Brent.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    "brentromero" wrote:

    > I noticed that my user name is "Owner" and am wondering if I should use some
    > other login handle. I'm the only user on my MCE 2005 and I read that it
    > could make my pc more prone to virus attacks. True? If it makes no
    > difference, I'm okay with leaving it as is. If not, how do I change it and
    > still transfer all my files to my new handle?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > --
    > brentromero
    > "Do not follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they
    > sought." Basho

    Thanks for the info, Big Guy. I think I'll just hold what I have....just
    wanted to make sure.
    --
    brentromero

    uggabugga wrote:
    > My boss insists on creating Limited User accounts to prevent spyware and
    > viruses. Well, if that were true, I wouldn't have spent 4 months cleaning up
    > all the PCs in one of our offices.

    Actually, if those users had been operating as administrators, you'd
    have had to spend a lot longer cleaning up those PCs. The infested PCs
    would almost certainly have required a format and clean installation.
    While using a computer with limited privileges isn't the cure-all that
    the uninformed claim it to be, any experienced IT professional will
    verify that it definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth of
    penetration by the malware.

    > The Owner account is the second
    > administrator account in the machine.

    Which is a very good reason for only the most experienced and
    knowledgeable of computer users to use it.

    > Administrator is also in there but you
    > can only see it in Safe Mode.

    Which tells me that your experience is limited to WinXP Home, so you've
    no first hand knowledge of true network/computer security practices.
    Are you sure you should be offering advice on this matter?

    > I can't see any benefit to creating a Limited User account if you are the
    > only one using the machine. The Limited User account comes in handy to
    > prevent children and novice users from installing programs or gaining access
    > to things they should be messing with.

    The second sentence above directly contradicts the first. Most people
    *are* novice users, when it comes to properly securing a computer.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    brentromero wrote:
    > I noticed that my user name is "Owner" and am wondering if I should use some
    > other login handle. I'm the only user on my MCE 2005 and I read that it
    > could make my pc more prone to virus attacks. True?

    More prone to viruses? Not specifically. But you will be much more
    susceptible to other malware, particularly adware and spyware. While
    using a computer with limited privileges isn't the cure-all, silver
    bullet that some claim it to be, any experienced IT professional will
    verify that doing so definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth
    of penetration by the malware. If you get infected/infested while
    running as an administrator, the odds are much greater that any malware
    will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove with formating
    the hard drive and starting anew. The malware will have the same
    privileges to all of the files on your hard drive that you do.

    > If it makes no
    > difference, I'm okay with leaving it as is.

    Unless you're an knowledgeable and experienced in computer security, it
    really isn't very wise for you to do your day-to-day computing using an
    account with administrative privileges. Even then, you'll need to take
    strong security precautions, in the forms of good anti-virus software, a
    good firewall, and frequent malware scans.

    >If not, how do I change it and
    > still transfer all my files to my new handle?

    A wiser course of action would be to create another, limited user
    account for your daily use and copy desired the files and settings from
    the Owner account to this newly created user profile.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    It might not make any sense but 100% of the PCs I mentioned with the Limited
    accounts had to be reformatted while it was only a few with the Admin
    accounts. Machines with the limited accounts had more malware than I've ever
    seen before or since. I realize that may be coincedence.
    --

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > brentromero wrote:
    > > I noticed that my user name is "Owner" and am wondering if I should use some
    > > other login handle. I'm the only user on my MCE 2005 and I read that it
    > > could make my pc more prone to virus attacks. True?
    >

    > More prone to viruses? Not specifically. But you will be much more
    > susceptible to other malware, particularly adware and spyware. While
    > using a computer with limited privileges isn't the cure-all, silver
    > bullet that some claim it to be, any experienced IT professional will
    > verify that doing so definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth
    > of penetration by the malware. If you get infected/infested while
    > running as an administrator, the odds are much greater that any malware
    > will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove with formating
    > the hard drive and starting anew. The malware will have the same
    > privileges to all of the files on your hard drive that you do.
    >

    > > If it makes no
    > > difference, I'm okay with leaving it as is.
    >

    > Unless you're an knowledgeable and experienced in computer security, it
    > really isn't very wise for you to do your day-to-day computing using an
    > account with administrative privileges. Even then, you'll need to take
    > strong security precautions, in the forms of good anti-virus software, a
    > good firewall, and frequent malware scans.
    >

    > >If not, how do I change it and
    > > still transfer all my files to my new handle?
    > >

    > A wiser course of action would be to create another, limited user
    > account for your daily use and copy desired the files and settings from
    > the Owner account to this newly created user profile.
    >
    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >
    > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Any difference between the types of users? Regardless of whether the user is
    a local admin or not, the computers we find the most malware on (I work in a
    university IT department) are those of the less--shall we say--computer savvy
    users. Those few who can be trusted to logon using an administrator account
    and not hose the system seem to also be able to avoid downloading and
    installing every toolbar/cursor/file sharing utility/whatever known to
    mankind.

    "uggabugga" wrote:

    > It might not make any sense but 100% of the PCs I mentioned with the Limited
    > accounts had to be reformatted while it was only a few with the Admin
    > accounts. Machines with the limited accounts had more malware than I've ever
    > seen before or since. I realize that may be coincedence.
    > --
    > That's just like my opinion, Man........
    >

    > "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
    >
    > > brentromero wrote:
    > > > I noticed that my user name is "Owner" and am wondering if I should use some
    > > > other login handle. I'm the only user on my MCE 2005 and I read that it
    > > > could make my pc more prone to virus attacks. True?
    > >

    > > More prone to viruses? Not specifically. But you will be much more
    > > susceptible to other malware, particularly adware and spyware. While
    > > using a computer with limited privileges isn't the cure-all, silver
    > > bullet that some claim it to be, any experienced IT professional will
    > > verify that doing so definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth
    > > of penetration by the malware. If you get infected/infested while
    > > running as an administrator, the odds are much greater that any malware
    > > will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove with formating
    > > the hard drive and starting anew. The malware will have the same
    > > privileges to all of the files on your hard drive that you do.
    > >

    > > > If it makes no
    > > > difference, I'm okay with leaving it as is.
    > >

    > > Unless you're an knowledgeable and experienced in computer security, it
    > > really isn't very wise for you to do your day-to-day computing using an
    > > account with administrative privileges. Even then, you'll need to take
    > > strong security precautions, in the forms of good anti-virus software, a
    > > good firewall, and frequent malware scans.
    > >

    > > >If not, how do I change it and
    > > > still transfer all my files to my new handle?
    > > >

    > > A wiser course of action would be to create another, limited user
    > > account for your daily use and copy desired the files and settings from
    > > the Owner account to this newly created user profile.
    > >
    > > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    > >
    > > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Bruce Chambers
    > >
    > > Help us help you:
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > > both at once. - RAH

    It was 50/50 on the users. The accounts will not let the users purposely
    install anything. I had to log in as administrator to change anything. Every
    toolbar and garbage came in on its own.
    --

    "Kathea Banshou" wrote:

    > Any difference between the types of users? Regardless of whether the user is
    > a local admin or not, the computers we find the most malware on (I work in a
    > university IT department) are those of the less--shall we say--computer savvy
    > users. Those few who can be trusted to logon using an administrator account
    > and not hose the system seem to also be able to avoid downloading and
    > installing every toolbar/cursor/file sharing utility/whatever known to
    > mankind.
    >
    > "uggabugga" wrote:
    >
    > > It might not make any sense but 100% of the PCs I mentioned with the Limited
    > > accounts had to be reformatted while it was only a few with the Admin
    > > accounts. Machines with the limited accounts had more malware than I've ever
    > > seen before or since. I realize that may be coincedence.
    > > --
    > > That's just like my opinion, Man........

    > > > More prone to viruses? Not specifically. But you will be much more
    > > > susceptible to other malware, particularly adware and spyware. While
    > > > using a computer with limited privileges isn't the cure-all, silver
    > > > bullet that some claim it to be, any experienced IT professional will
    > > > verify that doing so definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth
    > > > of penetration by the malware. If you get infected/infested while
    > > > running as an administrator, the odds are much greater that any malware
    > > > will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove with formating
    > > > the hard drive and starting anew. The malware will have the same
    > > > privileges to all of the files on your hard drive that you do.

    > > > Unless you're an knowledgeable and experienced in computer security, it
    > > > really isn't very wise for you to do your day-to-day computing using an
    > > > account with administrative privileges. Even then, you'll need to take
    > > > strong security precautions, in the forms of good anti-virus software, a
    > > > good firewall, and frequent malware scans.

    > > > A wiser course of action would be to create another, limited user
    > > > account for your daily use and copy desired the files and settings from
    > > > the Owner account to this newly created user profile.
    > > >
    > > > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    > > >
    > > > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Bruce Chambers
    > > >
    > > > Help us help you:
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > > >
    > > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > > > both at once. - RAH

Login Microsoft Windows XP