Sign in with
Your question

AMD Private equity rumors return

Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2007 4:10:26 PM

EETimes is reporting that AMD along with several other tech firms are considering privatization.
That would take a lot of pressure off of AMD in terms of their fight with Intel. I have no idea how serious this is, but anything's possible.

Linkage!
May 27, 2007 4:32:23 PM

Quote:
This is probably in part due to starting a price war when 80-90% of your product is totally undercut by the competition.

Even with Woodcrest ramping faster int he server space, the volume is so much less that it won't make up for the P4 firesale.

I expect the losses to continue through Q207. It may be Q307 if they don't EOL NetBust REALLY SOON.

Quote:
This price war is not stopping AMD from gaining share all over the world so it was a waste of money, first in that they made 55% less last quarter and second in that AMD still got Dell AND a LARGE chinese contract.

I guess when AMD posts their Q3 results i'll have something else to report. I think they have experienced moderate revenue growth but I can't say.

Quote:
I actually expect AMD to post a profit AGAIN. They still got Dell and a few other LARGE lucrative deals in China. They are selling every chip they mae accordign to the reported shoratges.

Again, why is everything that is negative about Intel cause such rabid responses. I'm sorry their revenue and profits are down, BUT THEY ARE AND IT'S Shocked CPU NEWS.

Quote:
Intel is on shaky ground right now because of their own actions. In now way did I imply that they would "run out of money" but they will lose a HEFTY part of their war chest by this time next year.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=205227&highlight=intel+bankrupt

So, everybody take a cover! Mr. Matrix, the perfect has a vision and he strikes AGAIN!
May 27, 2007 7:43:43 PM

Haha hilarious!

Love the caption quotes btw :lol: 
Related resources
May 27, 2007 8:53:53 PM

Quote:
This is probably in part due to starting a price war when 80-90% of your product is totally undercut by the competition.

Even with Woodcrest ramping faster int he server space, the volume is so much less that it won't make up for the P4 firesale.

I expect the losses to continue through Q207. It may be Q307 if they don't EOL NetBust REALLY SOON.

Quote:
This price war is not stopping AMD from gaining share all over the world so it was a waste of money, first in that they made 55% less last quarter and second in that AMD still got Dell AND a LARGE chinese contract.

I guess when AMD posts their Q3 results i'll have something else to report. I think they have experienced moderate revenue growth but I can't say.

Quote:
I actually expect AMD to post a profit AGAIN. They still got Dell and a few other LARGE lucrative deals in China. They are selling every chip they mae accordign to the reported shoratges.

Again, why is everything that is negative about Intel cause such rabid responses. I'm sorry their revenue and profits are down, BUT THEY ARE AND IT'S Shocked CPU NEWS.

Quote:
Intel is on shaky ground right now because of their own actions. In now way did I imply that they would "run out of money" but they will lose a HEFTY part of their war chest by this time next year.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=205227&highlight=intel+bankrupt

So, everybody take a cover! Mr. Matrix, the perfect has a vision and he strikes AGAIN!

Wow, that's was a blast from the past. Obviously the things necessary to stop them from losing money in Q1 were pretty much handled, though it is a little suspicious.

You should have fonud the quote where I said AMD should have stopped dropping prices. I had no idea they would actually cut it by 50-60%.

It does put them in a better price perf position though. It's a heavy cost.

Hey, wait..... What does your post have to do with AMD going private?
May 27, 2007 9:02:03 PM

It has to do with you being always right. As you can read from the quotes you were predicting big earnings for AMD because of their insane contracts with China and the Dell deal. Also you predicted a very hard financial situation for Intel. Oh...I almost forgot, the MEGATASKERS success, Quad FX. There should be various mainboards starting from $120, remember?
May 27, 2007 10:20:36 PM

Quote:
It has to do with you being always right. As you can read from the quotes you were predicting big earnings for AMD because of their insane contracts with China and the Dell deal. Also you predicted a very hard financial situation for Intel. Oh...I almost forgot, the MEGATASKERS success, Quad FX. There should be various mainboards starting from $120, remember?

I said POST A PROFIT, not big earnings. There you go reading things into my statements to get an laugh from the potential and existing Brood members.

Anger not the poet.

Rspond to the story or go elsewhere. To the other poster, I didn't look at the date, I gt it from AMD Zone this morning. I hadn't seen it and they didn't either.

It could be considered good evidence of privatization, but who knows. Either way as long as there's two CPU manufs we can still

ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!!!
May 27, 2007 11:25:05 PM

Quote:
ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!!!

Are you saying this when you are angry? :p 
I want to know because I want to learn how can I make you angry. :lol: 
It is very interesting :lol:  and BTW don't get mad on me. :wink:

Next time try not to miss the link, because I thought you are making another great prediction. :wink:
May 27, 2007 11:43:33 PM

The "news" you are quoting is a month and a week old... So has the rumor really resurfaced or was it just re-downloaded?
May 28, 2007 2:08:43 AM

Quote:
ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!!!

Are you saying this when you are angry? :p 
I want to know because I want to learn how can I make you angry. :lol: 
It is very interesting :lol:  and BTW don't get mad on me. :wink:

Next time try not to miss the link, because I thought you are making another great prediction. :wink:

That is an attempt to uphold the principles of the Free Market. If AMD has an X2/Opteron, they have the right to operate without ridiculous tactics from the "market leader" (read:used loosely).
May 28, 2007 6:21:28 AM

So now tactics are ridiculous.... try telling that to military leaders. :roll:
May 28, 2007 7:22:11 AM

Quote:

Brood members.

Brood members? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
May 28, 2007 8:03:00 AM

Quote:

Maybe if you would actually read a post before trying to flame it, your flames would make sense.
May 28, 2007 1:16:04 PM

Quote:
The "news" you are quoting is a month and a week old... So has the rumor really resurfaced or was it just re-downloaded?

I am thinking rehash. AMD just banked large I should hope 2.2 billion would get barcelona out the damn door,,, finally :roll:

did they get all 2.2 billion?
May 28, 2007 4:47:02 PM

I believe it was 1.8bn. Less what they had to pay Morgan Stanley.
May 28, 2007 5:57:08 PM

Quote:
:roll: WTF do you know?!?

Please try to stay on topic. As I said the link was from AMDZone yesterday. Since it was new I didn't check the date. It would be interesting though as private companies don't have to impress public stock analysts.
May 28, 2007 10:43:59 PM

Damn it Jack not you too... what is with all the ninja avatars?!

I am nit picking here, so don't take it personally, but it is Net Income/ Average Shares outstanding.

-General Reply

Oh guess what people... you may never see net income again in the near future. Accounting powers that be are drafting new financial statements that look more like fund/cost financial statements and as a result the bottom line that we all love will likely disappear. :?

Proposed Financial Statements
May 28, 2007 11:44:31 PM

Quote:

1) This month is ninja's week.
2) The guy on the avatar is not ninja, but rhasta. :tongue:
May 29, 2007 1:47:20 AM

Quote:

1) This month is ninja's week.
2) The guy on the avatar is not ninja, but rhasta. :tongue:

Hmmm I refuse to participate!!! lol
May 29, 2007 2:50:49 AM

Quote:
Hmmm I refuse to participate!!! lol

Come on, Fly! Get with the program. You'll learn to love it!

As per AMD private equity, IMHO it's inevitable. And it will most likely happen in this calendar year. Ol' AMD just can't keep going this way. Can they keep postponing K10 benchys indefinitely?
May 29, 2007 4:34:15 AM

I generally think taking a company private is an excellent move...assuming the appropriate cash reserves are in place or provided as part of the buyout. And In the interest of competition I would love to see AMD go private...and dream of all dreams I'd LOVE to see Intel go private...I know...market cap is too large for that to happen...;-(

My reasoning: It is far too easy for companys to specifically make decisions in an effort to create shareholder value (short term) via increased stock prices. (No I am not saying it is easy for them to drive prices up but rather it is easy to get caught in the trap of making decisions specifically with the intent of driving stock price up (short term).

The problem I have seen is this creates a tail wagging the dog scenario where the company is focused on "Perceived Value" rather that real, long term value to the company. It is unfortunate but public corporations decisions are definitely influenced by how shareholders will respond. Definitely not saying that it is the only factor..but keep in mind "perceived" vs "real" value. And from purely a business management perspective, isn't it optimal to make decisions on the basis of what will benefit the business itself first? Rather than attempting to influence a number that is largely out of your control (stock price)?

IMO Public companies most critical measure is their "Perceived Value". This encompasses their history, future potential, current performance, and countless additional factors... represented by their stock price. While a private company is largely influenced by their core investors expectations of return, which is typically tied more to overall return on investment rather than the short term needs of a fickle market.

That said, Private companies do have their own internal pressures, but they tend to be driven by common measurements of business performance as opposed to the stock of public companies, which is influenced by a number of factors, many of which are not in their control.

Chris
May 29, 2007 4:55:37 AM

ha ha...I shuddered at the idea of writing something that could be construed as supporting the one who is a legend in his own mind....While I don't agree with ...well...just about anything else he has ever said...I do believe there could be some real benefits for AMD if they were to be taken private. Of course there are many pitfalls as well....

Chris
May 29, 2007 5:11:59 AM

I agree.

However the similarity in avatars keeps confusing me. I am simple man and easily confused. 8O

I have no gripe really with the avatar, but when I see 20 ppl with the same one all of a sudden I get confused. I didn't realize it was honor thy Ninja time. :oops: 
May 29, 2007 5:35:20 AM

If we ever agree on everything the world will come to an end. Engineers and Accountants should never get along. You tell me what you can build with $1M then I summarily say nope you get 300K and have a nice day. lol. :lol: 
May 29, 2007 1:57:34 PM

Quote:
If we ever agree on everything the world will come to an end. Engineers and Accountants should never get along. You tell me what you can build with $1M then I summarily say nope you get 300K and have a nice day. lol. :lol: 

And that's why we cook up a cost for the accountants that shows it's going to cost $3M and look like hero's for bringing it in underfunded.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
May 29, 2007 2:43:33 PM

Quote:
So now tactics are ridiculous.... try telling that to military leaders. :roll:

Which military leaders??

France only knows how to surrender, wouldn't exactly call that a tactic :) 

Canada, well, does Canada even have a military anymore??? 8O

The US military, honestly, operates better with no tactics, at least when I was in during the first Gulf War. Go figure that one out.

Tactics are 100% on paper, but ain't worth the paper they are written on once the crap hits the fan...
May 29, 2007 4:40:08 PM

Deleted
May 29, 2007 4:52:08 PM

Quote:
it makes you appear childish.

Appear? He is childish. :tongue:
May 29, 2007 4:58:28 PM

Quote:
I think you got the link wrong:

AMD, Micron to go private, says report :

http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199702472&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS

this is from yesterday.

Am I missing something?

Definitely, as usual... you posted the wrong link for your own thread.... bwahhoaaahhaaaaaaaaa....

For somene who has an avatar of a brain reading, you sure say stupid things. How could I put the wrong link? It was the right link. There was just another later that said almost the same thing. Look at them before inserting foot in mouth.

And of course you don't have a comment

AS USUAL.

What will you do if I stop posting here?
May 29, 2007 5:00:07 PM

Quote:
ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!!!

All hail dystopia
Your parasite messiah never comes
All hail dystopia
God has died when war drags on and on

Seriously, stop using that closing line, it makes you appear childish.

ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY, even though Kiwi head says not to.

People with ADHD just can't stay on topic can they?
May 29, 2007 5:05:53 PM

Quote:
What will you do if I stop posting here?

Rejoice.
May 29, 2007 5:06:32 PM

Quote:

That would take a lot of pressure off of AMD in terms of their fight with Intel. I have no idea how serious this is, but anything's possible.

Just curious, how do you figure? I mean private investors want a return on their investment just as much as a publicly traded company.

They still need to turn a profit.

How does this change the competitiveness of the environment other than to make it impossible for AMD to raise more capital by issuing more stock?

Because there is no pressure from public market analysts. Pure performance is valued over opinion of an analyst. So we can look at AMDs technology, not their market performance.

If an analyst says, I'm worried abotu this" it can immediately affect a publicly traded company, but not so much a privately owned firm.
May 29, 2007 5:20:45 PM

Quote:
I generally think taking a company private is an excellent move...assuming the appropriate cash reserves are in place or provided as part of the buyout. And In the interest of competition I would love to see AMD go private...and dream of all dreams I'd LOVE to see Intel go private...I know...market cap is too large for that to happen...;-(

My reasoning: It is far too easy for companys to specifically make decisions in an effort to create shareholder value (short term) via increased stock prices. (No I am not saying it is easy for them to drive prices up but rather it is easy to get caught in the trap of making decisions specifically with the intent of driving stock price up (short term).

The problem I have seen is this creates a tail wagging the dog scenario where the company is focused on "Perceived Value" rather that real, long term value to the company. It is unfortunate but public corporations decisions are definitely influenced by how shareholders will respond. Definitely not saying that it is the only factor..but keep in mind "perceived" vs "real" value. And from purely a business management perspective, isn't it optimal to make decisions on the basis of what will benefit the business itself first? Rather than attempting to influence a number that is largely out of your control (stock price)?

IMO Public companies most critical measure is their "Perceived Value". This encompasses their history, future potential, current performance, and countless additional factors... represented by their stock price. While a private company is largely influenced by their core investors expectations of return, which is typically tied more to overall return on investment rather than the short term needs of a fickle market.

That said, Private companies do have their own internal pressures, but they tend to be driven by common measurements of business performance as opposed to the stock of public companies, which is influenced by a number of factors, many of which are not in their control.

Chris

I appreciate your qualification of this statement with "assuming the appropriate cash reserves are in place". This, and the terms of the latest funding(as BaldEagle mentioned) are nails in the coffin for private equity buying AMD out. Private equity firms make their huge returns on investment by using "other peoples money". They leverage their buyouts with large loans. This means that they acquire companies with good financial positions. AMD is the exact opposite of the kind of company they go after, as there is no room for more debt. Micron, is exactly the kind of company they go after. A company with good financials and good cash flow. The only problem with Micron is that they lost money last quarter.

While private equity does provide the ability to not worry about the short term, they aren't necessarily any better for a company than being public. They often create a financial situation that is laden with debt. This causes management to be highly attuned to the responsibility of managing this situation. It becomes a situation where one problem is traded for another. We will see how well these private acquisitions turn out in a few years when they are privatized in five years. I think we will find out that private equity isn't quite as smart as they think they are.
May 29, 2007 5:34:17 PM

Quote:

http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199702472&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS

this is from yesterday.

Am I missing something?

Definitely, as usual... you posted the wrong link for your own thread.... bwahhoaaahhaaaaaaaaa....

The "voodoo" financing they obtained with the convertible bond offers has sealed the door on private equity it looks like Baron is spreading FUD.

You mean the EETmes is spreading FUD. You guys have real problems. Just hope NONE OF YOU ever need me for anything.

Games like this are why the world is so screwed up now. Idiots who THINK they are somebody deciding who is or isn't ACCEPTABLE.

It's a sad state of affairs when teh Iraq war is destroyng our credibility all over the world, and you can only think of the word FUD.

That's why I don't now; didn't before; and won't in the future EVER, RESPECT any of The Brood.

You're the thing we should all strive NOT TO BE.
May 29, 2007 5:39:32 PM

Quote:
EETimes is reporting that AMD along with several other tech firms are considering privatization.

Linkage!

Quote:
For somene who has an avatar of a brain reading, you sure say stupid things. How could I put the wrong link? It was the right link. There was just another later that said almost the same thing. Look at them before inserting foot in mouth.

Oh, come on! It's crystal clear. Look at your original post - wrong link. It's a month old and talks about AMD being out of cash but says nothing of private equity let alone other firms following suit. The article doesn't even rule out bankruptcy. I was wondering what was going on until atraus came up with the second link. And here you are talking as if you made no mistake.

If AMD goes private, one problem is that it won't be the same company. Right now, they're almost using brute force to compete for market share on all fronts - tit-for-tat performance and pricing wars, fab expansions, R&D process-node races. By the past 8-9 months of track record, it isn't working.

Private equity is more conservative and deliberate. They're not going to fight a war they can't win. So even if they don't replace the whole management team, what makes you think they won't scale AMD back from, say, desktop chips for a few years at least? AMD's employees may be under less pressure from private management, but consumers may pay the price as desktop choice goes down.
May 29, 2007 5:51:16 PM

Quote:

this is from yesterday.

Am I missing something?

The "voodoo" financing they obtained with the convertible bond offers has sealed the door on private equity it looks like Baron is spreading FUD.

You mean the EETmes is spreading FUD. You guys have real problems. Just hope NONE OF YOU ever need me for anything.

Games like this are why the world is so screwed up now. Idiots who THINK they are somebody deciding who is or isn't ACCEPTABLE.

It's a sad state of affairs when teh Iraq war is destroyng our credibility all over the world, and you can only think of the word FUD.

That's why I don't now; didn't before; and won't in the future EVER, RESPECT any of The Brood.

The EETimes is just passing along information. They aren't making judgement calls regarding the rumors. Frankly, I'm often not impressed by their technical understanding, and am always unimpressed by their financial understanding. In short, the fact that it is reported in an EETimes article doesn't necessarily make the rumor true or even promising.

I wouldn't call the article FUD, but it isn't credible either. BaldEagle is far closer to the truth than you are.
May 29, 2007 6:19:06 PM

Quote:

Linkage!

Quote:

Oh, come on! It's crystal clear. Look at your original post - wrong link. It's a month old and talks about AMD being out of cash but says nothing of private equity let alone other firms following suit. The article doesn't even rule out bankruptcy. I was wondering what was going on until atraus came up with the second link. And here you are talking as if you made no mistake.

If AMD goes private, one problem is that it won't be the same company. Right now, they're almost using brute force to compete for market share on all fronts - tit-for-tat performance and pricing wars, fab expansions, R&D process-node races. By the past 8-9 months of track record, it isn't working.

Private equity is more conservative and deliberate. They're not going to fight a war they can't win. So even if they don't replace the whole management team, what makes you think they won't scale AMD back from, say, desktop chips for a few years at least? AMD's employees may be under less pressure from private management, but consumers may pay the price as desktop choice goes down.

How can I put up the wrong link, dummy? The link was right for the story I went to. Nitpicking over whether there's a newer version is verminous at best, an attempt to ridicule at worst.

Either way, the point was that AMD privatization rumors are back. AMD will not get out of the desktop unless mobile grows even more. At a point this year there are supposed to be more laptops shipped than desktops.

The desktop will probably move to the living room while the laptop will be the workhorse for most people.
May 29, 2007 6:47:24 PM

Was thinking earlier today after reading more details about the Chinese investment in Blackstone (considered one of the handful of top private equity funds), and that so far China has only sent 1% of the money it has stated it intends to invest away from US treasuries), it opens up a rather interesting scenario.

Blackstone is said to now be primed to easily take rather large companies private.

It would be in China's clear interest to own a leading semi design company (like AMD).

If China could somehow aquire AMD without invoking fear in the US Congress to prevent the aquisition, it would be quite a coup for China in terms of it's technology future.

It would make a lot of sense for China.

With that kind of deep pockets behind it, the AMD could then easily compete with Intel, and provide China a nice entry into a long term strategic move into the tech forefront.
May 29, 2007 6:50:35 PM

It's simply the wrong link for the introduction you wrote. Those two articles aren't different versions of each other. They are completely different articles from the same site. The latter is not a follow-up of the former. They're on different topics, so none of the sources match up. We all make mistakes; what is so hard about realizing that?

I think you started on the right page, then clicked an older "related link" appended by the site search engine, then copied that older URL, which doesn't reference the original link because the latter is newer.

Companies don't go private just because they're out of cash. Those on the verge of bankruptcy also don't automatically get saved by rich investors. And a rumor is commonly wrong, so I do keep my fingers crossed.
May 29, 2007 7:01:54 PM

Deleted.
May 29, 2007 7:17:52 PM

Quote:

this is from yesterday.

Am I missing something?

The EETimes is just passing along information. They aren't making judgement calls regarding the rumors. Frankly, I'm often not impressed by their technical understanding, and am always unimpressed by their financial understanding. In short, the fact that it is reported in an EETimes article doesn't necessarily make the rumor true or even promising.

I wouldn't call the article FUD, but it isn't credible either. BaldEagle is far closer to the truth than you are.

I wish you gys would stop using the word FUD. You never use it as it's defined.

FUD is instilling Fear, Uncertanty, and Doubt in a competing product. Anything else

IS NOT FUD.
May 29, 2007 7:28:43 PM

Quote:
FUD is instilling Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt in a competing product. Anything else

IS NOT FUD.

Thought I would correct your misspelling for you.

Why must it be a competing product? Can't there be FUD in life? Nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Why must it be instilled? Can't it just exist?

FUD in and of itself has nothing to do with a product, it has to do with Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt which exist in many things not just products. FUD is used to question the credibility of sources which cause uncertainty and doubt about the truth. If you, the all mighty BM, prefer we us UD instead of FUD then I guess we will consider making life even easier for your simple brain.

Here is your new job:

May 29, 2007 7:35:50 PM

Nice photo... ah that gave me a good laugh.
May 29, 2007 7:43:49 PM

Quote:

I wish you gys would stop using the word FUD. You never use it as it's defined.

FUD is instilling Fear, Uncertanty, and Doubt in a competing product. Anything else

IS NOT FUD.

What does your response have to do with my post? Did you read it? While I don't agree with your narrow, "personal" definition for FUD, I wasn't disagreeing with you on the definition of FUD or how to use it.

Instead of inventing your very own definition for FUD, why don't you discuss the topic at hand? I guess when you dig a deep hole, you need to do something to distract everyone so you can climb out.

Why don't you read my post again and try to formulate an answer that indicates that you read and comprehended what I wrote?
May 29, 2007 8:15:44 PM

Quote:

If you don't respect or care about what these people think, why do you keep posting and trying to change their minds? That's absurd.

I'll tell you what I strive "NOT TO BE". A grown man who posts an an enthusiast web site because his dad/mom/somebody didn't hug him enough and he's craving attention.

Quote:

Seriously...

A: What could any of us possibly ever need you for?
B: This sounds like something I would have said when I was 5 trying to get attention when my feelings were hurt (thank God I am less of a pansy now).

Quote:

It takes a real genius to think that they can distill all the problems of the world in to a single sentence. It takes even more of a genius to think that those problems all come from the THG forumz. Bravo.

Quote:

Your world view clearly isn't that mature, so trying to preach to people about the Iraq war is pointless. And, this is clearly outside of the scope of this conversation. You are trying to pull some sort of trump card, but that is pointless. I could be like "oh yeah? well WHAT ABOUT <<INSERT SOMETHING ABOUT WORLD WAR 2>> ???????" but that wouldn't really prove much about computer hardware, would it?
May 29, 2007 8:17:35 PM

Quote:
Was thinking earlier today after reading more details about the Chinese investment in Blackstone (considered one of the handful of top private equity funds), and that so far China has only sent 1% of the money it has stated it intends to invest away from US treasuries), it opens up a rather interesting scenario.

Blackstone is said to now be primed to easily take rather large companies private.

It would be in China's clear interest to own a leading semi design company (like AMD).

If China could somehow aquire AMD without invoking fear in the US Congress to prevent the aquisition, it would be quite a coup for China in terms of it's technology future.

It would make a lot of sense for China.

With that kind of deep pockets behind it, the AMD could then easily compete with Intel, and provide China a nice entry into a long term strategic move into the tech forefront.

Unfortunately, the US gov't buys too many AMD PCs to let China run it. So it would never happen.
May 29, 2007 8:40:19 PM

Quote:

If you don't respect or care about what these people think, why do you keep posting and trying to change their minds? That's absurd.

I'll tell you what I strive "NOT TO BE". A grown man who posts an an enthusiast web site because his dad/mom/somebody didn't hug him enough and he's craving attention.

Quote:

Seriously...

A: What could any of us possibly ever need you for?
B: This sounds like something I would have said when I was 5 trying to get attention when my feelings were hurt (thank God I am less of a pansy now).

Quote:

It takes a real genius to think that they can distill all the problems of the world in to a single sentence. It takes even more of a genius to think that those problems all come from the THG forumz. Bravo.

Quote:

Your world view clearly isn't that mature, so trying to preach to people about the Iraq war is pointless. And, this is clearly outside of the scope of this conversation. You are trying to pull some sort of trump card, but that is pointless. I could be like "oh yeah? well WHAT ABOUT <<INSERT SOMETHING ABOUT WORLD WAR 2>> ???????" but that wouldn't really prove much about computer hardware, would it?

Everyone goes off topic to make people look bad, I do it to tell people that they look bad.

As far as hugs, don't bring up people's parents. It's tacky. And dangerous.

Thepoint of the post had nothing to do with the offtoic drivel being spewed and I called them on it. You coul dhave easily just said "screw that guy" I'm not even gong to bother. But no you come in with your Dr. Phil attitude as if you are SuperGeniusGuy.

NOT!
May 29, 2007 8:41:14 PM

Quote:
Nice photo... ah that gave me a good laugh.

Yeah... that made me laugh as well. Priceless.

By the way:
Quote:
FUD was first defined by Gene Amdahl after he left IBM to found his own company, Amdahl Corp.: "FUD is the fear, uncertainty, and doubt that IBM sales people instill in the minds of potential customers who might be considering Amdahl products."[1] The term has also been attributed to veteran Morgan Stanley computer analyst Ulrich Weil, though it had already been used in other contexts as far back as the 1920s.[2][3]

As Eric S. Raymond writes: "The idea, of course, was to persuade buyers to go with safe IBM gear rather than with competitors' equipment. This implicit coercion was traditionally accomplished by promising that Good Things would happen to people who stuck with IBM, but Dark Shadows loomed over the future of competitors' equipment or software. After 1991 the term has become generalized to refer to any kind of disinformation used as a competitive weapon."[4]
!