Amahi - Linux *RAID question*

ImJay

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I came across Amahi and I actually like how it looks.

What I want to know is, will my RAID setup be lost if I were to upgrade/install a new OS?
I have one 60gb harddrive for the OS
and four 2TB drives in RAID 5

Will installing a new OS/upgrading Ubuntu remove all data and get rid of the RAID? Or can I just add the configuration into a new OS without wiping all data?

cpgcpg

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

[ Amahi developer here ]

There are a few ways to add storage to Amahi, however, RAID is done at the distro level -- Ubuntu for the latest release or Fedora for the previous release (and the next one) of Amahi.

In Amahi, you create shares and point them to wherever the storage is -- whether it's RAID, using Drive Pooling (using Greyhole in Amahi) or a local LVM partition or just a regular partition.

As skittle mentioned, mdadm is great, if you know what you want and how to use it.

Thanks for the kind words for Amahi :)

stephen hoos

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
If your RAID was setup by the BIOS or by an add in card, then any major modern OS should pick it up so long as is has the drivers for the RAID controller. Even if you have to add in the RAID drives later to the OS, it should not effect your data. If you have a hardware RAID the RAID controller manages that RAID not your OS. That being said it is always safest to backup your data.

If your RAID is a software RAID like those created in the OS whether Windows, Linux, or something like FreeNAS the data will be lost.