How to know device driver for a device is Modular or in kernel

Gsbatth

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
can anyone tell me? how to check that a device driver is in kernel or modular... means that is it loaded at system booting time or later when its functionality is needed...

I may be wrong, but I don't think that msconfig.exe is going to be much use on Linux.

OP - can you explain your exact requirements? Do you mean on a system where the driver is running (in which case use "lsmod")? Why exactly do you need to know this?

Gsbatth

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Actually this question was asked to me in an Interview... and Ans is:->

You can check the kernel configuration in : /"usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.26-2-amd64/.config" if <your module>=m then modular otherwise <your module =Y>

you can use following command....

$ grep CONFIG_NTFS_FS /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.26-2-amd64/.config

CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m

An accurate answer only if you have the Linux sources installed on your machine (and if you've never actually configured the kernel for compilation there may not be a .config file). I'd guess that this answer would be incorrect on about 90% of Linux installations. It certainly wouldn't hold for most default installations of Ubuntu, SuSE, fedora, or the like. And, of course, you would need to adjust that command to match your kernel version.

TRENDING THREADS