Can Linux mint downloaded into a flash drive?

Richard HA

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Can the Linux Mint downloaded to an USB flash drive? And if yes can i use that linux containing flash drive to install in another computer?

I am thinking of building my own computer and i am planning to install linux mint on it. To my already existing computer I connected an usb flash drive then went to the linux mint home page hoping that all i have to do is to click on the linux mint download link and get it downloaded into the usb flash drive, but to my surprise they did not give me that option at all. It looks like they have an option to download into a dvd but not to usb flash drive.

Am i missing something? Can i download linux into an usb flash drive? And if yes can i use that linux containing flash drive to install in another computer?

nigelren

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Once you have downloaded Linux, you need to use the a program to take the iso and write it to the USB in a way that it can be booted from and used for installation.
Depending on what operating system you are using on the computer you are downloading from will affect what program you use. But if you search for something like 'create bootable usb from iso' and find one that will work with your current OS.