Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What vista software can fully utilize a core i7 processor?

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 11, 2009 10:00:42 PM

Your question requires too much background information about threads that you apparently don't have; therefore, the answer is: all software will use all available processing devices to handle all threads it creates, unless the software engineer specifically decided to make the program behave differently. While some self-taught or inexperienced programmers have a burning desire to twiddle affinity or other aspects of an SMP environment, production code from major vendors usually does not suffer from such defects unless the nature of the program requires tightly-controlled response times (such as in games, or some high-end applications that process mountains of information; the latter are not usually found in the retail channel as they typically run on real computers instead of PCs - and those applications are written far more intelligently and carefully than anything you'd be installing on a windows machine).

bottom line: don't worry about it, because in the end the only thing that matters is whether the program provides adequate performance for the task at hand. If it does, then its architecture will not impact you in any meaningful way.

If it bothers you that an app doesn't use (or doesn't NEED) more than 1 or 2 or N threads to do its job, just look at it this way: if a program never spawns more than X number of threads, and X is less than the number of processing units available, then that just leaves more horses for all the other dozens of apps and services that are also running).

April 12, 2009 2:56:28 PM

tmike said:
Your question requires too much background information about threads that you apparently don't have; therefore, the answer is: all software will use all available processing devices to handle all threads it creates, unless the software engineer specifically decided to make the program behave differently. While some self-taught or inexperienced programmers have a burning desire to twiddle affinity or other aspects of an SMP environment, production code from major vendors usually does not suffer from such defects unless the nature of the program requires tightly-controlled response times (such as in games, or some high-end applications that process mountains of information; the latter are not usually found in the retail channel as they typically run on real computers instead of PCs - and those applications are written far more intelligently and carefully than anything you'd be installing on a windows machine).

bottom line: don't worry about it, because in the end the only thing that matters is whether the program provides adequate performance for the task at hand. If it does, then its architecture will not impact you in any meaningful way.

If it bothers you that an app doesn't use (or doesn't NEED) more than 1 or 2 or N threads to do its job, just look at it this way: if a program never spawns more than X number of threads, and X is less than the number of processing units available, then that just leaves more horses for all the other dozens of apps and services that are also running).

Tmike, I already know about cores and threads. I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers. The only reason why I asked this question is that I haven't had time to keep tabs on all of the software that is being released. I've had too many other things going on, so I thought that I would just ask somebody else. An application can be optimized for any number of threads. It all depends on how the programmer chooser to optimize the software. For example, a lot of DX10 games only recognize 2 threads (although that is slowly starting to change now). Yes, I understand that there is a performance boost with those games if you use a quad core (since the other 2 cores can run the OS). But I want to know what software is OPTIMIZED for 8 cores. That's my fundamental question. If I had kept up with the software releases, I would not be asking this question. I already know that only the very CPU-hungry apps are threaded for so many cores (like dvd encoders). But can you give me a list of those apps?
Related resources
April 22, 2009 3:51:55 PM

Well??? Does anyone know if someone compiled a list of 8 thread optimized software?
April 22, 2009 3:59:13 PM

Apparently, the answer is "No, Nobody knows of a compiled a list"
April 22, 2009 8:40:32 PM

The answer might be that "No, Nobody cares about a compiled a list"

I've never known anyone to choose software based on how many threads it can use.
April 24, 2009 10:03:48 PM

Scotteq said:
Apparently, the answer is "No, Nobody knows of a compiled a list"

Well then don't answer. I don't need tmike to tell me about the way threads and software interact. I already know that.

WR2 said:
The answer might be that "No, Nobody cares about a compiled a list"

I've never known anyone to choose software based on how many threads it can use.

I am not choosing software based on how many threads it can use. I know a friend who is thinking about getting a corei7 processor. He wanted to know how much retail software was optimized for 8 threads. That's the reason why I am asking. Even if there is no compiled list, don't any of you know other retail software (besides nero 9 and vista) that can take fully utilize 8 threads?

Best solution

April 24, 2009 11:35:42 PM

The answer is "Almost No Consumer Software Is Optimized For 8 Threads". You're lucky if you get two.
April 25, 2009 12:13:34 AM

Scotteq said:
The answer is "Almost No Consumer Software Is Optimized For 8 Threads". You're lucky if you get two.

Ok, that's all I wanted to know. Thanks.
!