Sign in with
Your question

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme VS Tuniq Tower 120.

Last response: in Overclocking
May 27, 2007 5:43:08 PM

Okay i need to know which performs better assuming Ultra-120 Ex is using a S-Flex fan while tuniq tower on stock fan.

How about Ultra 120 Ex and Tuniq tower both on S-Flex fan. Which performs better?
May 27, 2007 6:09:51 PM

Ultra 120 Extreme is the top dog right now.
Related resources
May 28, 2007 3:47:45 AM

I'm worrying about the ultra-120 ex base and the mounting on LGA775 socket.
May 28, 2007 3:57:27 AM

Me too. I have the DS3 board and am worried that some of these larger CPU HS won't fit easily ... with airflow front -> rear.
May 28, 2007 4:33:56 AM

The Ultra120 Extreme fits on the DS3, but it's tight with the NB heatsink (that's my setup). I think the Tuniq is even bigger. Both use a backing plate. Who else would like to strangle whoever at intel came up with the LGA775 HSF mounting method? Amazingly, installing the U120X is actually less painful than the stock cooler with those idiotic plastic posts.
May 28, 2007 6:13:39 AM

What i mean was the concave base of the Ultra-120 ex and the concave base of C2D. Besides what i mean about LGA775 mounting is thermalright LGA775 mounting is abit weak comparing to TR AM2 mounting.
May 28, 2007 6:32:45 AM

Quote:
Who else would like to strangle whoever at intel came up with the LGA775 HSF mounting method?
:arrow: ME.

-mcg
June 8, 2007 9:32:17 PM

Would the Ultra 120-ex w/ scythe fit on the MSI P6N PLATINUM 650i board in a P180b case?
June 8, 2007 9:56:16 PM

The Ultra 120 makes the Tuniq look like the worst cooler in the universe and the Tuniq is rather good.
June 9, 2007 1:17:48 AM

Quote:
The Ultra120 Extreme fits on the DS3, but it's tight with the NB heatsink (that's my setup). I think the Tuniq is even bigger. Both use a backing plate. Who else would like to strangle whoever at intel came up with the LGA775 HSF mounting method? Amazingly, installing the U120X is actually less painful than the stock cooler with those idiotic plastic posts.

I just built my brother a PC with the Ultra 120 Extreme. Installation isn't half bad, just pop on the back plate and screw it down. Just make sure you screw diagonally opposite screws first, otherwise you could have some trouble.

@Sindustrialist: Yes, my brother's is running in a P180B, with airflow from front of case to back. Both of the TriCool fans on the motherboard cage blow air OUT of the case, creating a nice little vacuum where the CPU should be. I switched the top fan to blow air IN and kept the rear fan blowing air OUT. So the fan on the 120 Extreme (an Aerocool 89.39cfm) blows air through the HS, which is then expelled by the rear fan, while the top fan also blows air onto the HS.

I'm thinking of disabling the top fan since I'm not sure if it's helping or hurting.
June 9, 2007 2:48:07 AM

Quote:
The Ultra120 Extreme fits on the DS3, but it's tight with the NB heatsink (that's my setup).

How much room do you have left. I am probably going to go with that setup but am worried about NB temps without the draft from the stock cpu cooler. Because of this i am thinking of going with a aftermarket NB cooler but i am not sure if there will be room. Would you say there is enough room to add one of these . . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you could post pictures of your board, that would be helpful. or if you have an opinion about either one of the NB fans they would be appreciated.
June 9, 2007 4:31:36 AM

Quote:
The Ultra 120 makes the Tuniq look like the worst cooler in the universe and the Tuniq is rather good.

Let's be objective and state facts (data from the Anandtech review)

Idle, at 3.7GHz overclock:
Worst temp: 56C (retail cooler)
Tuniq: 36C
Ultra 120 Ext: 33C

The Tuniq is within 3C of the best cooler, and 20C from the worst.
June 9, 2007 5:33:47 AM

Well if you're going to the best then the Ultra-120 Extreme is the one. Plus you can install two fan if you want for a more quite operation.
June 9, 2007 6:43:21 AM

Themalright makes the worlds best air coolers for CPU/GPU/RAM/MB chipsets and voltage regulators.

Their MB coolers far out preform the stock heat pipe systems that all MB companys now provide.

If you want a top self fan (120mm) then go for the Silverstone FM-121 (110 QFM) which comes with free a speed regulator...$17 USD online.

In my systems when used for both case (all my CM Stacker cases have exit fan guards removed for the 70%+ better airflow) and Thermalright SI-120 I get the same basic cooling @ 600 RPM as @ 2200 RPM (+/- 1 1/2C).
June 9, 2007 7:53:46 PM

Quote:
Well if you're going to the best then the Ultra-120 Extreme is the one. Plus you can install two fan if you want for a more quite operation.

Yes I know that the Ultra 120 is the best, and you can see it in my text. I don't understand why you are repeating something I already said.
June 11, 2007 3:53:16 AM

Sorry to easily offend you. I'm trying to put my 2 cents here.
June 11, 2007 4:32:28 AM

Quote:

Yes I know that the Ultra 120 is the best, and you can see it in my text. I don't understand why you are repeating something I already said.

He prolly had good reason to...

1. It seems more credible if a bunch of people agree on the same thing.

2. It helps boost post counts

3. Perhaps he felt like restating what you said in order to set up the last part of his comment about the 2 fans.
June 11, 2007 5:23:39 AM

Quote:
(all my CM Stacker cases have exit fan guards removed for the 70%+ better airflow)

Do you just leave it open or do you replace them with something. I have an S-Flex exiting my case and it blows pretty good but that 70%+ increase sounds real good. How did you measure that, I know the back fan guard is somewhat restrictive but I didn't think that much.
June 11, 2007 5:59:44 AM

All fan guards are restrictive to some degree, some more that others, i believe that 70% gain because after removing the fan guard for my kandalf at the back the airflow more than doubled!
!