LeadNitrate

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Upon startup, a process, "WmiPrvSE.exe"/"WMI Service Provider", runs and starts using up a full core's worth of processing power. When I end the process, it simply restarts a few seconds later. It isn't listed anywhere concerning startup programs, so I can't stop it there, and the three .exe's I found that share its name are all system files, or at the very least, are immune to deletion (even with admin privileges; is that odd?).

Looking solely at the directories of the exe's, because they're in folders starting with 'x86', I'd say it has something to do with the CPU, so I guess my question is twofold:
A) Will blocking this process be dangerous?
B) How do I block it from running?

I don't have much in the way of technical skill, so any solutions will need to be spelled out in newb-talk, please.

Thanks.

LeadNitrate

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
All the time. Well, actually, now my computer doesn't even show the process in task manager, but it still shows 50% usage (but not the process using that much), which is very, very odd.

LeadNitrate

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Uh, it seems the problem is solved. I uninstalled Avira's Free AntiVir (I hate nagware) and now WMI is working normally, i.e. at around 0-1%.
Sorry for taking your time; I should have tried removing antivirus software first up.

LeadNitrate

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Trust me, if I had the financial independence and a PayPal account, I'd get something proper. Your recommendations concerning antivirus and firewall software, for the future?

Windows already includes a firewall and you probably have one with your router. There's no need to install an additional one, particularly if you use NAT.

There's good and free anti-virus software available. If you have time, read professional reviews and then try the most interesting solutions yourself. A good package should provide adequate protection (none is bullet proof) while not consuming an excessive amount of resources.

Since I have access to McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, I install it on all systems. Not everyone likes it, but we are protecting thousands of PCs and servers with it. So do most of our customers.