Newbie DVI/HDMI cable question

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 11, 2005 10:33:34 PM

My budget puts me squarely in the RP CRT crowd and I have my heart set
on the Panasonic 53x54. My cable provider is Cox who offers an HD/DVR
set top box with DVI out. The Panasonic has HDMI in. I understand
there are adapters to make the connection, but my question is whether or
not to spend $100+ on a DVI cable/HDMI adapter when it's being used for
what I've read is essentially an analog device? On the other hand, if
that is indeed the case, why do manufacturers of RP CRT devices include
a digital in interface at all? I suspect I'm way off base here in my
thinking for lack of knowledge, so I welcome education on the subject.
Thanks in advance.

mb

P.S. If anyone wants to comment on the Panasonic 53x54, I'd appreciate
that as well. I looked at the Toshiba 46 & 51H units, but reads things
about low level hum from the power transformer.
January 12, 2005 12:00:33 AM

"mb" <relax@home.com> wrote in message
> My budget puts me squarely in the RP CRT crowd and I have my heart set
> on the Panasonic 53x54. My cable provider is Cox who offers an HD/DVR
> set top box with DVI out. The Panasonic has HDMI in. I understand
> there are adapters to make the connection, but my question is whether or
> not to spend $100+ on a DVI cable/HDMI adapter when it's being used for
> what I've read is essentially an analog device? On the other hand, if
> that is indeed the case, why do manufacturers of RP CRT devices include
> a digital in interface at all? I suspect I'm way off base here in my
> thinking for lack of knowledge, so I welcome education on the subject.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> mb
>
> P.S. If anyone wants to comment on the Panasonic 53x54, I'd appreciate
> that as well. I looked at the Toshiba 46 & 51H units, but reads things
> about low level hum from the power transformer.

Unless you must have a certain brand of overpriced cables, here's links to
some much more affordable cables. I've purchased cables from both companies
and had no problems with either. I have a RP CRT and find the DVI input
gives very good results from a computer, better then conponent by a little.
With the prices at mono cable it's not such a pain to buy a cable even just
be able to use the DVI if you run out of connections

http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=281...

http://www.monoprices.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_...
January 12, 2005 12:00:34 AM

Excellent links. Thanks! And your point about utilizing the digital
hookup to free other sources is well taken.

mb
Related resources
January 12, 2005 1:00:28 AM

> Unless you must have a certain brand of overpriced cables, here's links to
> some much more affordable cables. I've purchased cables from both companies
> and had no problems with either. I have a RP CRT and find the DVI input
> gives very good results from a computer, better then conponent by a little.
> With the prices at mono cable it's not such a pain to buy a cable even just
> be able to use the DVI if you run out of connections
>

> http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=281...
>
> http://www.monoprices.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_...

Sonic,

You say that you've purchased cables from monoprices? I'm looking at the
HMDI to DVI cable. Monoprices is so much cheaper than everyone else for
that cable. I'm wondering if they are good quality cables?

Sharon
January 12, 2005 11:13:23 AM

>> http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=281...
>>
>> http://www.monoprices.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_...
> Sonic,
>
> You say that you've purchased cables from monoprices? I'm looking at the
> HMDI to DVI cable. Monoprices is so much cheaper than everyone else for
> that cable. I'm wondering if they are good quality cables?
>
> Sharon

I purchased a DVI-D cable from Monoprice after checking the reseller
rateing for them. I assumed from their good rateing that the product must
for the most part work to most customers satifaction. Is the price to low
for them to supply a quality cable, well honestly I can't say the cable is
"Quality" or not. I can however say it works as well as one that I paid much
more for. I see where your coming from questioning "Quality" after seeing
the price of cables at the big box stores. Some people will be happier with
a cable costing 10 X more, some won't see a difference. I don't see a
difference on my set, for my use. Bottom line I took a chance and tried
their product and have no problem with the "QUALITY".

http://www.resellerratings.com/reseller_list.pl?browse=...
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 3:11:01 PM

mb wrote:

> My budget puts me squarely in the RP CRT crowd and I have my heart set
> on the Panasonic 53x54. My cable provider is Cox who offers an HD/DVR
> set top box with DVI out. The Panasonic has HDMI in. I understand
> there are adapters to make the connection, but my question is whether or
> not to spend $100+ on a DVI cable/HDMI adapter when it's being used for
> what I've read is essentially an analog device?

A HDTV is a Digital Processing Device that Processes the Digital

TV Signal in many ways... The Digital Processing 'guts' of a HDTV

can be better or worse than the Cable Box..... Among the HDTV

Brands, the Digital Processing guts can be all over the map....

Hint, I like Sony HDTV Processing 'guts'.... WEGA engine...

As for CRT HDTV displays..... Yes, this final Picture Display

stage is a 'Digital to Analog' final conversion done by the HDTV...

If you use Component Out from the Cable Box.... You have a

Double Digital to Analog Signal conversion Process.....

The HDTV Video must be reconverted to Digital for processing..

If you use DVI Video OR HDMI Video & Audio cable out of

the Cable Box does only the QAM conversion, the signal

out of the Cable box remains Digital, & the HDTV does

all the Digital Video Processing, & only the final

CRT video Display is converted to Analog by the HDTV....

This 2nd set is usually the way to go IF your HDTV

has the Good Processing 'Guts'.....

On the other hand, if
> that is indeed the case, why do manufacturers of RP CRT devices include
> a digital in interface at all? I suspect I'm way off base here in my
> thinking for lack of knowledge, so I welcome education on the subject.
> Thanks in advance.

The old SD TVs were pure Analog signals with Analog Processing &
Analog CRT Display...

The new HDTVs Have Digital processing of the Digital Signal, and
last step Analog processing for the CRT display...
Even with the Component Cable Analog signal in.. the HDTV requires
that Analog
signal to be converted back to Digital before the Digital
Processing
guts "kick in"... Those HDTV Guts separate the 'men from the
boys'...

> mb
>
> P.S. If anyone wants to comment on the Panasonic 53x54, I'd appreciate
> that as well. I looked at the Toshiba 46 & 51H units, but reads things
> about low level hum from the power transformer.
January 12, 2005 8:54:18 PM

In article <41E56835.8B9E9DC@execpc.com>, Polaris1@execpc.com says...

> mb wrote:
> >
> > My budget puts me squarely in the RP CRT crowd and I have my heart set
> > on the Panasonic 53x54. My cable provider is Cox who offers an HD/DVR
> > set top box with DVI out. The Panasonic has HDMI in. I understand
> > there are adapters to make the connection, but my question is whether or
> > not to spend $100+ on a DVI cable/HDMI adapter when it's being used for
> > what I've read is essentially an analog device?
>
> A HDTV is a Digital Processing Device that Processes the Digital
>
> TV Signal in many ways... The Digital Processing 'guts' of a HDTV
>
> can be better or worse than the Cable Box..... Among the HDTV
>
> Brands, the Digital Processing guts can be all over the map....
>
> Hint, I like Sony HDTV Processing 'guts'.... WEGA engine...
>
> As for CRT HDTV displays..... Yes, this final Picture Display
>
> stage is a 'Digital to Analog' final conversion done by the HDTV...
>
> If you use Component Out from the Cable Box.... You have a
>
> Double Digital to Analog Signal conversion Process.....
I appreciate the info. It appears the conclusion I should draw is that
it's worth the money for a DVI/HDMI hookup because the only way to know
how good the quality of final display is would be to try it.

mb
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:05:56 AM

"Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> Unless you must have a certain brand of overpriced cables, here's links
>> to some much more affordable cables. I've purchased cables from both
>> companies and had no problems with either. I have a RP CRT and find the
>> DVI input gives very good results from a computer, better then conponent
>> by a little. With the prices at mono cable it's not such a pain to buy a
>> cable even just be able to use the DVI if you run out of connections
>>

>> http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=281...
>>
>> http://www.monoprices.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_...
> Sonic,
>
> You say that you've purchased cables from monoprices? I'm looking at the
> HMDI to DVI cable. Monoprices is so much cheaper than everyone else for
> that cable. I'm wondering if they are good quality cables?
>
> Sharon

I ordered a 3ft HDMI cable from Monoprices. I paid for "standard 3-5 day"
shipping, but they chose to ship it via cheaper USPS First Class instead.
It took 2 weeks to get to me. When it arrived, they had shipped a 2m cable
instead of the 3ft that I ordered (which was the length that I preferred).
Cable quality is fine. I concluded that they didn't have the 3ft in stock,
so they sent the more expensive 2m via cheaper shipping. Their customer
service took 2-3 days to respond to my emails, but they did respond. I
can't say that I was pleased with my overall experience with Monoprices.

- Chuck
January 14, 2005 12:35:32 AM

"Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote

> > http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=281...

http://www.monoprices.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_...

> Sonic,
>
> You say that you've purchased cables from monoprices? I'm looking at the
> HMDI to DVI cable. Monoprices is so much cheaper than everyone else for
> that cable. I'm wondering if they are good quality cables?
>
> Sharon

Hi,

I'm using a three-foot $8.50 DVI-HDMI cable from Monoprice (Product ID:
1915) and it works just fine. Its not as 'rugged' as the expensive cables,
but I can't see how a $100 Mobster Cable would make any difference since
this is a digital signal! Either you get the 0's and 1's, or you don't.
:^)

I also picked up a few six-foot sets of component cables as well. If I
remember right, they were only like $4.50 each. Their component cables are
rugged, solid, manufactured very well, and properly shielded. Likewise,
they work great.

As someone else posted, Monoprice's "reseller rating" is superb. My orders
were processed immiedietly, shipped the next day, and I was given tracking
numbers. Their site is also very easy to use and your order history,
invoices, etc are all kept online for your convienence. I'm not affilliated
with them in any way, other than being a very happy customer. They'll
definetly be getting all my future business when I need the type of products
they offer.

Cheers!
-Eric
January 14, 2005 12:40:21 AM

"Sonic" <ergoacess@yahoo.com> wrote

> With the prices at mono cable it's not such a pain to buy a cable even
just
> be able to use the DVI if you run out of connections

Thats exactly why I got a DVI-HDMI cable -- to free up one of sets of
component inputs. :^)

Got the $8.50 (3 foot) DVI-HDMI cable from Monoprice and it works fine.
Monoprice is awesome...
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:10:06 PM

I just received the DVI-D to HDMI cable from Monocable (ID: 1915) and
have no complaints with the delivery time and the cable appearance.
However, it doesn't work on my TV. I have just learned that my Pioneer
Plasma wants DVI-I to HDMI cables and the PVR-921 specifies DVI-I
cables should be used. How is this working for you guys?

Thanks,
George

--
totolos
January 14, 2005 9:36:05 PM

"totolos" <totolos.1iuu3l@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message

> I just received the DVI-D to HDMI cable from Monocable (ID: 1915) and
> have no complaints with the delivery time and the cable appearance.
> However, it doesn't work on my TV. I have just learned that my Pioneer
> Plasma wants DVI-I to HDMI cables and the PVR-921 specifies DVI-I
> cables should be used. How is this working for you guys?
>
> Thanks,
> George
>

> --
> totolos

For those like me sometimes lost as to DVI specs here's a link to a good
primerhttp://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.htmlI think it a page worth
printing to jog the memory till I get this all straight. But It sounds like
the cable should work if your output from the PVR is digital. Do you have to
turn the output on in setup for the PVR?Try at your own risk. Maybe someone
will chime in that has similar equipment.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:26:47 PM

"totolos" <totolos.1iuu3l@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message

> I just received the DVI-D to HDMI cable from Monocable (ID: 1915) and
> have no complaints with the delivery time and the cable appearance.
> However, it doesn't work on my TV. I have just learned that my Pioneer
> Plasma wants DVI-I to HDMI cables and the PVR-921 specifies DVI-I
> cables should be used. How is this working for you guys?

I used a DVI-D to HDMI cable from my 921 to my Panasonic set with no
problems.

Try changing your input mode.

Wild guess, but it could be your plasma is set for analog. See if you can
change it to digital. Seems that both signals can be sent through the DVI-I
cable, while DVI-D is for digital only. Not so sure of HDMI. As I have to
register to get a look at the manual for the Pioneer, I can't go by that.

If a DVI-D doesn't work at all with your set, you might as well go for
cheaper component inputs. You'll get the same results.

Pagan