window activation period expired accidently

I was away when my windows xp pro activation period expired, now it won't
load up, I have tried reinstalling it but it still won't work
can anyone help
I have read the part of the knowledge base that applies to activation but it
was not any help
thanks
leon

Can you please explain to me how the expiration can expire accidentally?
Either you activate it within the 14 day period, or you don't. There can be
no "accidental" non activation.

Bobby

"leonh" <leonh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was away when my windows xp pro activation period expired, now it won't
> load up, I have tried reinstalling it but it still won't work
> can anyone help
> I have read the part of the knowledge base that applies to activation but
> it
> was not any help
> thanks
> leon

"leonh" <leonh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was away when my windows xp pro activation period expired,
> now it won't
> load up, I have tried reinstalling it but it still won't work
> can anyone help
> I have read the part of the knowledge base that applies to
> activation but it
> was not any help
> thanks
> leon

You might want to try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can
activate XP.
To boot into Safe Mode, start hitting the F8 key as soon as your
computer starts up.
On the menu that's displayed select Safe Mode with Networking.
Now go to Start -> All Programs -> System Tools -> Activate
Windows.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

leonh wrote:
> I was away when my windows xp pro activation period expired, now it won't
> load up, I have tried reinstalling it but it still won't work
> can anyone help
> I have read the part of the knowledge base that applies to activation but it
> was not any help
> thanks
> leon

Boot into safe mode with networking and you should be able to activate from
there.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

my problem now is that I have tried to reinstall windows xp which has not
installed over the original windows properly, now it won't boot into any
windows safe or otherwise,
I am not sure how to get around it without wiping the original installation
but i am happy to receive advice
leon

On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:42:22 GMT, "Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Tom,
> You cannot activate in Safe Mode

Does phone activation no longer work from Safe Mode?

If not, what is the recommended procedure for a user if they miss
activating over the internet during the allotted amount of time?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:42:22 GMT, "Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:

> You cannot activate in Safe Mode

Please check your facts and verify. You are saying there is no way to
activate Windows XP in Safe Mode, either by Internet or phone. Is that
correct?
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Hi,

What you have is not an activation problem but an installation one. Were you
trying to do a repair installation or a parallel one? What happens when you
try to boot the system (any mode)? If the original installation is damaged,
you may be able to repair it, or do a parallel installation where you can
recover saved files (but not programs, nor anything that's encrypted unless
you have the encryption key).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> my problem now is that I have tried to reinstall windows xp which has not
> installed over the original windows properly, now it won't boot into any
> windows safe or otherwise,
> I am not sure how to get around it without wiping the original
> installation
> but i am happy to receive advice
> leon
>
> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
>
>> Hello Tom,
>> You cannot activate in Safe Mode
>> Thanks,
>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

>> rights
>> --------------------
>> Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 19:05:10 -0400
>> From: Tom Porterfield <tpporter@mvps.org>
>> Subject: Re: window activation period expired accidently
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
>>
>> leonh wrote:
>> > I was away when my windows xp pro activation period expired, now it
>> won't
>> > load up, I have tried reinstalling it but it still won't work
>> > can anyone help
>> > I have read the part of the knowledge base that applies to activation
>> > but
>> it
>> > was not any help
>> > thanks
>> > leon
>>
>> Boot into safe mode with networking and you should be able to activate
>> from
>> there.
>> --
>> Tom Porterfield
>> MS-MVP Windows
>> http://support.telop.org
>>
>> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only

kelly

The information is correct, you cannot activate in safe mode. Also, the
activation period is 30 days, not 14 as someone previously mentioned.
If you cannot do anything now, perhaps your best option would be to format
and clean install Windows XP, and activate right away. Boot from your Windows
XP CD and choose the option to install. Then delete the partition and create
a new one, format and install there.

On Fri, 27 May 2005 06:55:28 -0700, Kelly wrote:

> The information is correct, you cannot activate in safe mode. Also, the
> activation period is 30 days, not 14 as someone previously mentioned.
> If you cannot do anything now, perhaps your best option would be to format
> and clean install Windows XP, and activate right away. Boot from your Windows
> XP CD and choose the option to install. Then delete the partition and create
> a new one, format and install there.

Kelly, when did this change? Booting to Safe Mode and using phone
activation was do-able from RTC XP until... still works as far as I know.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

--
rubycc

Obviously nobody here have ever had that experience with having to activate
when the 30 days period have reached its limits. I have and know that when
then booting up the system you will get a popup-notification that tells you
that Windows can not be loaded because the activation period has expired but
it also asks you if you want to activate now. If you click "Yes" or "OK"
(can't remember exactly) you will be taken to the activation-window and
there you will be offered to activate by phone.

Just choose the country you live in and the phone-numbers will appear.

Best regards,

Gunilla.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@online.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hello Sharon,
> Activation in Safe Mode never worked, not even during the beta.
> the driver set loaded during safe mode is different than the driver set in
> normal mode so your hardware could appear differently to the system.
> So if you activated during safe mode and booted normally, you may be
> required to activate again due to hardware changes when you boot nomally
> and now your machine hardware is different so it would require a phone
> call.
> 30 days is the activation grace period.
> 14 days was the activation grace period during the beta.( I don't recall
> if
> the eval time period for activation grace is 14 or 30 days)
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> From: Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
> Subject: Re: window activation period expired accidently
<Snipped>

Gunilla wrote:
> Obviously nobody here have ever had that experience with having to activate
> when the 30 days period have reached its limits. I have and know that when
> then booting up the system you will get a popup-notification that tells you
> that Windows can not be loaded because the activation period has expired but
> it also asks you if you want to activate now. If you click "Yes" or "OK"
> (can't remember exactly) you will be taken to the activation-window and
> there you will be offered to activate by phone.
>
> Just choose the country you live in and the phone-numbers will appear.

Unfortunately I had but it was so long ago I had forgotten the details.
Will make notes this time, or rather already have. You are quite right.
Ran tests to refresh my memory. While it is not possible to activate in
Safe Mode, it is easy enough to activate after the period has expired
exactly as you have stated. When you try to log on you are told that the
machine must be activated. You are asked if you would like to activate now.
If you click Yes, the activation process starts where you can activate
either by phone or over the Internet.

If you try to log on in Safe Mode after activation has expired, you are
informed that activation is required, that activation can not be performed
in Safe Mode, and to log in under normal Windows and activate that way.

I tested the scenario with XP Home, both Gold and SP2. The behavior is the
same in both.

My apologies for any confusion that my original answer may have caused.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

On Fri, 27 May 2005 20:00:15 +0200, Gunilla wrote:

> Obviously nobody here have ever had that experience with having to activate
> when the 30 days period have reached its limits. I have and know that when
> then booting up the system you will get a popup-notification that tells you
> that Windows can not be loaded because the activation period has expired but
> it also asks you if you want to activate now. If you click "Yes" or "OK"
> (can't remember exactly) you will be taken to the activation-window and
> there you will be offered to activate by phone.
>
> Just choose the country you live in and the phone-numbers will appear.

Ahh. Knew there was some method to get activated so that you could get back
into Windows again. Thanks for the details.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks Tom for testing and verifying what I claimed. :)) You did it even
better then me as I forgot you actually can activate over the Net. too. I
have XP Pro SP2, by the way.

Gunilla.

"Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
> Gunilla wrote:
>> Obviously nobody here have ever had that experience with having to
>> activate when the 30 days period have reached its limits. I have and know
>> that when then booting up the system you will get a popup-notification
>> that tells you that Windows can not be loaded because the activation
>> period has expired but it also asks you if you want to activate now. If
>> you click "Yes" or "OK" (can't remember exactly) you will be taken to the
>> activation-window and there you will be offered to activate by phone.
>>
>> Just choose the country you live in and the phone-numbers will appear.
>
> Unfortunately I had but it was so long ago I had forgotten the details.
> Will make notes this time, or rather already have. You are quite right.
> Ran tests to refresh my memory. While it is not possible to activate in
> Safe Mode, it is easy enough to activate after the period has expired
> exactly as you have stated. When you try to log on you are told that the
> machine must be activated. You are asked if you would like to activate
> now. If you click Yes, the activation process starts where you can
> activate either by phone or over the Internet.
>
> If you try to log on in Safe Mode after activation has expired, you are
> informed that activation is required, that activation can not be performed
> in Safe Mode, and to log in under normal Windows and activate that way.
>
> I tested the scenario with XP Home, both Gold and SP2. The behavior is
> the same in both.
>
> My apologies for any confusion that my original answer may have caused.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

You're welcome!...glad to be able providing some insight. :))

Gunilla.