Error: No such partition grub rescue>

amhodgson

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Okay so I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu. My friend installed ubuntu for e so I don't know much about partitions. After months with no problems it won't boot and comes to the screen;

Error: No such partition
Grub rescue>

Please tell me what to do

amhodgson

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

No I didn't do either of those. A friend installed ubuntu for me and I'm not really computer savvy to the point where I know how to get into the partitions and type in the commands. So if someone could give me step by step on how to reinstall the grub that would be fantastic.

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
How did your friend install ubuntu for you?

If you don't have any important data on that partition, I suggest formatting it and installing Ubuntu through a utility called wubi.

You can get it from Ubuntu.com. It worked really well for me. You just have to select the second partition you want to install it to and it does everything including creating options in the boot menu.

its easy, all you need is a ubuntu cd. boot into live mode and read instructions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_the_LiveCD_terminal

Shibnath samanta

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
I experienced the same problem. Now it is solved. Use the following process.
Just Install Ubuntu to the same drive where it was previously. It will give the GRUB menu again. Then you can be able to boot Windows and Ubuntu both. So then using Windows Format or delete the ubuntu drive BUT DON"T restart, install MBR(similar to grub but it is for windows) then restart. It will give you a system with windows only with full space.
Shibnath

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
For the really not computer savvy. If you have a live dvd or flash boot from that, connect the the net and install Boot-Repair (no, unfortunately it won't stay installed on your DVD but it may on your flash) run it. Your only job is to go ahead and accept recommended repairs. Wait for it to finish, minute or two. Finished and have a nice day.

yfaraz

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

@ Shibnath samanta , high can you please help me !! I am not tech savvy but facing the same problem ....and I am just able to see that screen grub rescue, even when I tried to insert the recovery dvd of windows 7 !!please help !!
Thans

yfaraz

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

Same problem is faced by me !! can someone help me please ,as I am not tech savvy ,I wish if you can give me a step by step process thanks , plus when I tried to run a recovery dvd of windows 7 ..only black screen appears written grub rescue,second thing is it I need to go in boot option and then need to further proceed ??
Please help me !! I need your advice !!
Thanks

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

If you have a live copy of Ubuntu on a flash or DVD boot to that. You should be able to see your windows drives, they are in the drawer and probably at the bottom of the task bar on your left. Chech to make sure your data is still OK. You could/should back up important data now.

While still in Ubuntu Live install boot-repair.

When it is installed run it. It will check for operating systems already installed and then give you the option of "recommended repairs". Select that and sit back a few minutes. It will repair the MBR and reinstall grub.

Restart the computer and see if that doesn't take care of it for you. If not, repeat but this time select advanced options and click on repair file systems as well.

Come back and let us know how you're progressing.