daveackerman30

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I'm having an issue where when windows XP (media center edition) boot I can't use the mouse or keyboard. I was told I should upgrade or flash my BIOS so I downloaded a the newest BIOS (in EXE) format from Dell's website and saved on a memory card. Since I have no mouse or keyboard when windows loads I'll have to run it from the DOS. I booted up using the Windows XP CD in recovery mode so I can get to a command prompt. From the command prompt I can see the contents of the memory card (call it the H drive) including the .exe file I need to run but when I try to run it from c:\windows>H:\xxxx.exe I get a message stating the command is invalid.

Does anyone know how I can get this .exe to run from the command prompt? Do you need to create a new boot CD (I don't have a floppy) and add the BIOS .exe file? If so what's the easiest way to do that.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

AtaliaA1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Unfortunately what you are trying to do is run a Win32.exe file in DOS. can't be done, that setup program would have to be written for DOS. Mode Execution.

Flashing Bios is a bit extreme for the repair of a Keyboard and Mousey. I am guessing they are USB and what you really lost was USB support and I am also going to infer you have lost them from the MB side of things. If you have access to another mouse and keyboard hopefully non USB I would try that first, looking to reset the Use legacy USB in your BIOS. (for older systems) for newer I would unplug any extra pci devices as you could also have a IRQ conflict. with out more info on your system that is all I can offer.

daveackerman30

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I thought the same about the BIOS executable but on Dell's website it says the file can also be run in DOS by booting up from a boot disk. I don't have a PS2 adapter on the PC so I can't try another keyboard or mouse.

The root of the problem started because the PC wouldn't boot and in safe mode I saw it was stuck on Mup.sys. After a little research I found it was a common issue so I can a chkdsk using the recovery console which didn't help. I think restored the registry hive which loaded windows but then I didn't have a keyboard or mouse. Looking at other posts about the Mup.sys error I found that flashing the BIOS could help.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks