Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cheap AM2 Overclocking motherboard?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 27, 2007 9:04:30 PM

I'm making a very cheap gaming system (£300ish) for a mate and so far i've decided upon 1GB Value DDR2-667, x1950pro, x2 3800+, cheap case with 500W PSU and a 160GB SATA HDD. But, unlucky for me, i know next to nothing about AM2 boards (Haven't used AMD since 754).

I'd like to overclock this machine a little for my aforementioned mate (2.5-2.6ghz) so i'm giving him my old Zalman 9500. But, i don't quite know which motherboard to get! The budget for the motherboard is ~£50-60.

Links to UK sites only please!

Thanks in advance,

Quantum Sheep.
May 28, 2007 11:42:41 AM

Noone has any suggestions?
Related resources
May 29, 2007 12:25:30 PM

none that are for over there buddy.... but i know you could save yourself some dough if you wanna go with a lan case... look up the apevia xq-pack 2 or just go to apevia.com or whatever and look at it, it's a sweet case has a 500w psu in it, and is small and would fit the profile of the type of pc you're trying to make. :-p it's 100 bones US dollars.... so what's that like 60lbs? or somthing over there?

http://www.apevia.com/category.php?cid=101

there's a link to their site, just MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SECOND RELEASE! that's the one with the GOOD power supply... the first version of this case apparantly had a faulty power supply... but so far it seems this case should do ok.

oh yeah, 3d gamer man has a video review of it up here on toms. :-p
good luck parts hunting!
May 29, 2007 12:27:45 PM

one more thing... if you wanna go with that board that ryanthesav posted... i just so happen to be running that right now. and wintec ampx ddr2 800 1.9volt ram is like 80 american bones for 2 gigs of it and it runs well enough... some say they can get it to 4-4-4-12 timings, but i'm stickin with the stock 5-5-5-15, havn't tried to oc it yet.
May 29, 2007 12:50:07 PM

Quote:
I'm making a very cheap gaming system (£300ish) for a mate and so far i've decided upon 1GB Value DDR2-667, x1950pro, x2 3800+, cheap case with 500W PSU and a 160GB SATA HDD. But, unlucky for me, i know next to nothing about AM2 boards (Haven't used AMD since 754).

I'd like to overclock this machine a little for my aforementioned mate (2.5-2.6ghz) so i'm giving him my old Zalman 9500. But, i don't quite know which motherboard to get! The budget for the motherboard is ~£50-60.

Links to UK sites only please!

Thanks in advance,

Quantum Sheep.

First dont waste your time with the old 90nm x2 3800+ get the much cheaper 65nm X2 3600+. With a $10 heatsink fan I can get 300FSB at just under 60c. The X2 3600+ is priced about $59 in the USA.

This mobo is an ok OC'er for $55 just update the bios first thing. I can hit its max of 300FSB.
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetai...
Your RAM should be ddr2 800 not 667 and for from what i save you on the mobo and CPU get 2GB's. If you go with ECS mobo make sure your RAM works at 1.8v.

I would suggest this PSU and ive seen it priced at $48. Just dont push the amps and at max only a none OC'ed 8800GTS should be used. If you want to go higher and get the 550w its a good deal.
http://www.rosewill.com/product/product.aspx?productId=...
My case kind of sucks but for $13 its a nice deal.
http://www.rosewill.com/product/product.aspx?productId=...
Finally if you can find 1 get the Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. In the US I can get it for $59 oem.
May 29, 2007 1:19:23 PM

Quote:

Links to UK sites only please!

Thanks in advance,



:roll:
May 29, 2007 1:38:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it's given me a good idea of what i need to look for.
May 29, 2007 1:41:03 PM

oh yeah, and a condom dispenser at the vatican... might be usefull after all... keeps evidence contained...
May 29, 2007 1:51:39 PM

Purchasing an Apple computer will be the greatest experience of your life! Not only will you help save our environment in making this smart choice. You will also solve world hunger and be helping to prevent unjust wars.

Remember all good humans buy Apples.
May 29, 2007 1:54:04 PM

i want to be able to make some pie out of it...
May 30, 2007 9:01:20 PM

How about another ECS board, the ECS AMD690GM-M2... Is this board also a good overclocker? :?:

I am also looking for a cheap overclockable AM2 board :twisted: , but since I am working on another project (which is prioritized over this one) I want to do with onboard grafix first before upgrading later to a dedicated grafix card....

The ECS AMD690GM-M2 Mainboard retails for around USD70 over here...
May 31, 2007 3:10:48 AM

I have an asus m2npv-vm... I can get my single core cpu from about 2.4 to 2.6 easily... could prolly do 2.8... only problem with this board is that i don't think you can really oc memory... no overvolt, but you can change the timings... i have no clue about the board you mentioned... but the asus i noted does have a 6150 (most powerful onboard thus far) but you can't really play s**t on it anymore... i think my 150 dollar (way back in the day) geforce ti4200 from asus is still better (but doesn't have the tech's to make it play new games.. sad really :-p that any help?


EDIT: ddr2 800 runs best at cirtain speeds... so make sure to check the chart (here on toms) before you go and oc to the max... cuz you may be better off with a slightly lower speed... or even one slightly higher...who knows. :-p
May 31, 2007 3:49:10 PM

Quote:
How about another ECS board, the ECS AMD690GM-M2... Is this board also a good overclocker? :?:

I am also looking for a cheap overclockable AM2 board :twisted: , but since I am working on another project (which is prioritized over this one) I want to do with onboard grafix first before upgrading later to a dedicated grafix card....

The ECS AMD690GM-M2 Mainboard retails for around USD70 over here...

I wouldnt suggest something I havent used. The onboard GPU with OCing is a major no go as you'll be OCing the GPU. for the extra $10 you save on my suggest you could buy a better stand alone GPU. This standalone would run circles around any onboard GPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 31, 2007 3:56:54 PM

Quote:
I have an asus m2npv-vm... I can get my single core cpu from about 2.4 to 2.6 easily... could prolly do 2.8... only problem with this board is that i don't think you can really oc memory... no overvolt, but you can change the timings... i have no clue about the board you mentioned... but the asus i noted does have a 6150 (most powerful onboard thus far) but you can't really play s**t on it anymore... i think my 150 dollar (way back in the day) geforce ti4200 from asus is still better (but doesn't have the tech's to make it play new games.. sad really :-p that any help?


EDIT: ddr2 800 runs best at cirtain speeds... so make sure to check the chart (here on toms) before you go and oc to the max... cuz you may be better off with a slightly lower speed... or even one slightly higher...who knows. :-p

Not bad but I can go from 1.9 to 2.85GHz with my dual core brisbane. I dont like running my dual core at 59c but its totally stable at 2.85 59c. This mobo has no over voltage either and the timing is easy to change. Note my memory settings.

At current prices of DDR800 and knowing in the near future DDR800 will be lower priced than slower RAM its kind of the best choice. I see you have a single core CPU and they work great with DDR667 but dual cores need DDR800 for optimal operation.
May 31, 2007 8:38:49 PM

sombody must have been paying attnention in class...

yeah, the dual cores really do need the ddr2 800. i just bought the single core at the time cuz it was fast and cheap as hell and oc'ed well... untill i buy a wicked vid card and some more memeory (ram is this weekend!!!) then i won't really need to update my cpu... if i ever do... I mean, i just bought this one and it's pretty sweet... i'll see how it performs.. running it under an x64 os with mostly x64 programs REALLY HELPS the performance. :-p that and i can get away with low memory cuz i'm not running windows! haha. anyway. the dual cores run best at factors of 8.. i think it's mostly factors of 8...or somthing close to that, i forget... i know 2.4 is on the list,

and I really don't like paying over 100 bucks for any single pc part (cept graphics card, i'll go 150 for that) because if i spend double it's just gonna be down in price in 6 months anyway... haha. eg. 2 gigs of ram 90 bones, x2 2.4 100 bones, mobo 90 bones, 2 320 gig stata 2 hd's 120 bones (there's two of em to run in raid so 120 is acceptible. :-p) and either an 8600gts (when they finally hit 150) or a new hd 2600 (when they come out) would be good... if not an x1950 pro would saffice.

that's like what? 450 bucks, and that's a decent pc... (not inluding opticals and psu and fans all half the crap most people already own)
June 3, 2007 12:01:49 PM

About the ECS AMD690GM-M2 board I was asking about, actually it uses the ATI Radeon X1250 IGP, which is the best IGP in the market right now. But you're right, a dedicated GPU will always run circles around an integrated grafix processor. The thing is, I expect currently available GPU's to drop in price once the new DX10-capable GPUs start arriving, which I estimate will happen around October this year. That's why I prefer IGP for this rig....

By the way, I dont intend to overclock it on the IGP- I'll be waiting until I purchase the dedicated GPU before I overclock it....
June 3, 2007 12:38:12 PM

my signature new build will cost $1k US delivered FedEx 2-day
note the GigaByte GA-MA69G-S3H... about $85-90 US
Its reviewed here. Lotsa O/C stuff.

BUT THE ETHERNET is PCI not PCIe x1 !!!

This will hold me over until the X2800GTO gets cheap.
f61
June 3, 2007 12:47:24 PM

I don't care for the sataII positioning on the ECS board, long cards such as x1950 or NV8xxx WILL block them!
Only the GigaByte MA69G-S3h is a FULL ATX board with plenty of room.
All mATX cards suffer from shabby O/C designs due to small board. If using a shorter card, no complaint... its a good cheap board.

But time marches forward, and bigger is here to stay, along with his evil, power-hungry friend faster.

f61
June 3, 2007 1:29:00 PM

Quote:
I don't care for the sataII positioning on the ECS board, long cards such as x1950 or NV8xxx WILL block them!
Only the GigaByte MA69G-S3h is a FULL ATX board with plenty of room.
All mATX cards suffer from shabby O/C designs due to small board. If using a shorter card, no complaint... its a good cheap board.

But time marches forward, and bigger is here to stay, along with his evil, power-hungry friend faster.

f61

Thats easy just use a 90degree sata connector.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
June 3, 2007 1:38:56 PM

Quote:
I don't care for the sataII positioning on the ECS board, long cards such as x1950 or NV8xxx WILL block them!
Only the GigaByte MA69G-S3h is a FULL ATX board with plenty of room.
All mATX cards suffer from shabby O/C designs due to small board. If using a shorter card, no complaint... its a good cheap board.

But time marches forward, and bigger is here to stay, along with his evil, power-hungry friend faster.

f61

Thats an ok mobo but may I suggest waiting a month or so for the AM2+ mobos. Gigabyte is already demo some of the new mobo's. I wouldn't suggest this but the price is kind of high for a mobo soon to be discontinued. Added bonus of PCI-E 2.0 for the AM2+ so its highly advised to wait.
June 3, 2007 1:41:19 PM

did you see thoes 500 dollar cables at the bottom? who is that nuts?
June 3, 2007 2:01:26 PM

Quote:
About the ECS AMD690GM-M2 board I was asking about, actually it uses the ATI Radeon X1250 IGP, which is the best IGP in the market right now. But you're right, a dedicated GPU will always run circles around an integrated grafix processor. The thing is, I expect currently available GPU's to drop in price once the new DX10-capable GPUs start arriving, which I estimate will happen around October this year. That's why I prefer IGP for this rig....

By the way, I dont intend to overclock it on the IGP- I'll be waiting until I purchase the dedicated GPU before I overclock it....

The SATA2 is in a bad place but a 90 degree cable would work. The chipset heatsink is a bigger cause of problems as it will dissipate heat right under your GPU. The chipsets placement means no way to fit a fan for better OCing.

Only 2 memory slots may be the worst part of the whole mobo.
June 3, 2007 2:07:06 PM

Those are DVI optic cables and just came up in the search for 90 in the cables section. Wish I was rich enough to waste that much money on something.
June 4, 2007 3:34:02 AM

yeah, dude... i realize all that... i'd honestly prefer every product on newegg to be dropped a buck and toss out that kind of rediculous crap... but there's like 10 people in the world that buy that crap cuz they're stupid and/or retarded/OCD about stuff that doesn't make a difference in performance... actually the changeover from the original to optical prolly drops the quality... but it will go over a long distance... but 500 bucks? hahahahaha... i'd just build a pc to have the output right next to it... and duct tape the damned thing right next to what i wanted to connect it to! hahaha. or screw it... or wrap it in dynamite and rags coated in flammible liquids? hahaha... k.. nite ntie time!
June 4, 2007 2:48:55 PM

In their eyes, they're probably "individualizing" their rig... some of their individual flair and individual taste plastered onto the rig... dunno, am probably, probably guessing... Over here where I live money isn't easy to come by, yeah more or less we avoid such expenses too.... I only end up with such things out of some clueless impulse buy, and hardly ever towards the expensive end of things... people here say guys like that do up their rigs like that only because they can afford it... yep no practical purpose whatsoever.. find out why they buy such things and maybe you just might get rich, that's what we say....
June 4, 2007 3:56:41 PM

Quote:
The SATA2 is in a bad place but a 90 degree cable would work. The chipset heatsink is a bigger cause of problems as it will dissipate heat right under your GPU. The chipsets placement means no way to fit a fan for better OCing.

Only 2 memory slots may be the worst part of the whole mobo.


Yes, 2 mem slots does seem to be the worst part... the terribly cramped microATX part also sucks, really don't know why AM2 boards here are always this config when everyone uses large casings due to the hot climate over here, REALLY prefer "roomier" ATX boards like the suggested Gigabyte one with as much as 4 slots, etc...

But that ECS AMD690GM-M2 with the ATI Radeon X1250 IGP at USD70 is one of the cheapest available with IGP's, inclusive of 6100 and 6150 boards... Gigabyte boards come in at USD138 or more... the Asus M2N-PV compares more favourably at around USD97....

I also got the other post regarding the suggested wait for AM2+ mainboards. Checked over here and both DX10 GPUs and AM2+ boards are slated no earlier than Q4. Good suggestion although I actually have to purchase this month though. If I don't get my "simulated" purchase of an 3600+ X2 rig to actually work might get more costly C2D rig instead...

So can I just humbly ask a few more things:
1. Any other suggestions for cheap AM2 overclocking mainboards?
2. How about the MSI K9AGM2-FIH mainboard, any comments on this one?3. Elbert, when you were referring to the chipset placement of the ECS mainboard barring fan placement for overclocking, where you reffering to a fan on the chipset, did I get that right?
4. Also, ECS mainboard needs90 degree cable to clear SATA2- meaning no such 90 degree cable comes with the board? Or such a cable is preferrable but can make do and compromise with "regular" cable?

I'm not assembling a gaming rig by the way, its more for mainstream desktop use, so I guess can make do with GF7xxxGT GPU's, don't really need 8xxx series.... but I do intend to play some games here and there, videostream, use office apps, web browse, do grafix including trying out grafix animation as a beginner (ie non3D grafix animation), etc....
June 5, 2007 12:48:38 PM

The SATA2 doesnt stop you from using an 8000 series card but it cant be the longer high powered 8800's. You could find a short 8500/8600. No matter which you'll cover the chipset tho looking at it that may be the intergrated GPU. I'm cautioning you on OCing a mobo with intergrated GPU as some do cause the mobo to burn out.
June 5, 2007 5:24:01 PM

Quote:
whatever happened to the biostar am2 nforce 550 mo'board?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

4 pci slots!!
$79.99 and will take a 3800x2 to at least 2.6-2.7 gHz

The mobo is nice but for $69.99 after rebate I would expect more than 4GB maximum memory supported. This mobo should be less than $50 for its limited amount of RAM support. Very nice setup I really like the mobo but wouldnt pay that much for a 4GB max.
June 6, 2007 6:21:25 AM

Thanks all for comments/discussion. Hmmm I guess my GB mobo to be D/C'd after a lifespan on 60 days. I thought 87US was fairly reasonable, since it looks like I could stuff a DX10 Graph like the HD2800GTO w/o too much trouble. Not sure if THAT Graph will be 'double height' or not. for now the x1950 GT is 'single height' w/o interference issues on this MoBo.

More on topic: I offered this MoBo up due to the large O/C abilities in BIOS at a competitive price to NV bridged eqiup. After re-checking the other 15 at the egg, really, nothing looks that great at mATX or ATX (reportedly awful issues w/Asus full ATX)

Cheers :D 

f61
June 13, 2007 7:58:27 PM

Ok, thanks for the advise.... How about the Foxconn A690GM2MA-8EKRS2H Mainboard on the other hand? It uses the same ATI Raedon X1250 IGP but has 4 slots for the memory. Is this a good overclocking mainboard, assuming I use a dedicated grafix card?
June 14, 2007 1:20:26 PM

It is OK but there is a SYSFAN problem, as in not being able to vary the speed. That is not good, and apparantly no fixit yet.

I kept looking around for AMD/ATi solutions and wound up tossing the entire crop of uATX alltogether. When I went NV bridges I came upon the TForce 7025. BUT, guess what, the egg got its specs crossed somewhere... the boards only handle 4GB and NOT as 2x2Gb. The onboard NIC IS 8111B and not 8110SC. So I wrote to BioStar to confirm the Manual. Maybe , with any luck, I can get this board (and the TF7050) to handle the 2x2Gb sticks with a BIOS upgrade. I don't expect the miracle of 8GB, but I'll be pleased with ooxx or xxoo for the 2x2GB's enough to buy. About £35 equivilent (US70).

Keep pouring over the AMD/ATi ATX boards, sumthin's gotta give soon.

f61
June 15, 2007 2:53:14 AM

Foxconn A690GM2MA-8EKRS2H is an ok mobo if you can make due with a single PATA. $53 after rebate is an ok price but my worry is support. Foxconn was once a great company which sold math coprocessors back in the day. If you purchased this mobo I would suggest you burn the mobo in quickly so your covered by newegg's RMA just in case its poor quality.
!