Disc/part. multiple OS problem please help

redit

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Hello, I've been playing around and have created a problem for myself. I had Ubuntu on one hdd, then added BT5 on a newly installed second drive. At that point BT5 became the only drive I could boot into. I didn't try to fix it. I decided to try out Bodhi instead, so I installed that on the same drive as BT5, thinking I could just overwrite BT. Now hdd1 is completely inaccessible. lsblk command returns this: sda (original drive 1TB) 931g; sda1 243m part/media/sda1; sda2 1k, part; sda5 931g, part. sdb (new 500g drive) 465g; sdb1, 459g, part/; sdb2, 1k, part; sdb5, 6g, part [swap]. sr0, 763m, rom/media/ubuntu 12.10. zram0, 2.9g, disk [swap].

I have no problem losing the operating systems and starting over as the computer is a week old and has nothing valuable on it. I presume my problem was trying to write over an encrypted partition or something. I've got Grub running with UEFI so that seems to complicate the situation, too. I seem to have mounted partitions that I must unmount in order to reinstall the OS. I just don't want to make anything any worse by continued experimentation. I'm a Linux noob. Any help would be appreciated.

redit

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
sdb5 should be BT5 based on size. I have no idea what sr0 is or how Ubuntu ended up there. I don't understand what is with all the swap. I don't know why anything done on sdb should have affected sda, except that BT5 seemed to treat sda as it's property. I cannot currently seem to access BT5 through BIOS. The only OS I can get into is Bodhi. As much as I want to fix all this I'm also very interested in how this happened.

Sr0 is your DVD drive. I'm not clear exactly what you have done, but it is probably wise to avoid esoteric distributions such as BackTrack if you are not sure about these things. Just reboot from an ordinary install DVD for a mainstream distribution such as Ubuntu. Tell it to overwrite all existing partitions and take it from there.

redit

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I wiped both discs and I'm researching a good logical way to use them both. Part of what had me confused was the seemingly missing space on the new disc. I have since figured out that it only went missing because of formatting. I'm a dumb noob...but I'm learning.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Now that you've wiped both disks I would suggest that you disconnect one during the installation process to make it less complicated and put it back in afterwards.

As to "logical way to use them both" what would be your dream setup? The Swap speeds up Ubuntu, it's automatically created during install, think of it as virtual memory but if you'd like a better description follow the link.

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8208-all-about-linux-swap-space