Help needed for Vista install error.

fettjord

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Let me give you the full run-down.
Okay, so I ran a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64x on my new home-built rig. Everything went swimmingly. Drivers installed fine. I was gaming, watching movies, and writing important business on the computer. This was fine for about two days when the computer spontaneously BSOD with a countdown (the screen rapidly disappeared, so this is all I remember) saying something like "memory dumping". I panicked and flipped the switch.

On restart, I get this error message. The file windows\system32\winload.exe has an error- status 0xc00000e9 error code: 0x80FF0000. I probably should have looked up this error and dealt with it, but I figured since it was so recent since my first install, I'll just re-format and re-install.

-----
So I run through the normal re-install of vista up until this point:
http://maximumpcguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/vista_clean_install8.png (my proper HDD partition is listed minus the space from the previous install). Looks good. I click, it begins to copy and extract. Uh oh. Error.

"Windows has failed to install when trying to partition the hard disk. Error code: 0x80070057" I close the box and restart.

This time, I set my bios to fail-safe. Check to make sure the CPU and fans are working. I run memtest (everything passes). I try again.

Same error.

Maybe I should re-format. So I try. Get back to this screen: http://maximumpcguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/vista_clean_install8.png, click "advanced options" click "format" and get the same error:
error 0x80070057.

Crap. So, unplugged all of my peripherals, except for mouse and keyboard (I think my speakers were shorting my old build, besides the point). I plugged the SATA cable in a different port and set the bios to auto recognize. During the boot, it recognized the make, model, and port of the HD.

Same error.

Any ideas? This is as far as my amateur tech knowledge goes. I'll mail some of my wife's home-made cookies to whoever can help.

----
Here's the system specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L socket 775 P45RT
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad q9550 2.83 gHz with Masscool heatsink/fan (screwed on tightly with artic silver thermal paste)
GPU: EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR GeForce GTX 260
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
RAM: 4GB G.SKILL HK (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Plexor DVDRW drive (i'm not sure the exact specs of this... it works *shrug*
and...
the HD:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

fettjord

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
another clue... when I'm on this menu: http://maximumpcguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/vista_clean_install8.png

There's a little orange triangle with an exclamation point in it underneath the load button and a message saying something like "Warning, hard disk is about to fail. If you have another hard disk connected please select it"-- something like that.

Is this ominous? Am I looking at a RMA for my HD?

fettjord

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Thank you for the reply, Badge. I ran memtest already and it passed. I'll change the voltage settings, though. Good call.

I tried running the boot-disk startup repair. And the startup repair identified a Hard Disk error... looks like I might have to RMA this thing unless anyone has ideas.

tbizsys

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I have seen this error code in my shop on two different Dell 5xx models. I tried using a Microsoft OEM CD and everything went fine. So I think the Dell recovery CD image is defective or the disk is damaged (scratched).

jt
Turner Business Systems
Heflin, AL

A search of that error shows 'many' occurances or reasons for it. I did not see a single reference to that particular error code being associated with a 'faulty' Dell recovery CD image or disk'.