Help w/ Build Problem Please

MattJD

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I built the system, got a successful post, configured the bios and then booted from the install cd. It's an XP re-installation CD from Dell, since I'm trashing that computer and using the license on this one (told that's legal).

I hit F6, loaded the SATA drivers for ACHI mode and let it partition the drive and reboot. I then directed it to boot from the hard drive (plugged into to GSATA0) and the system immediately restarts with no error message.

I went back and reset all the bios to standard defaults except for usb mouse and keyboard, retried to boot from hard disk and had the same result. Any thoughts?

Mobo - Gigabyte 965P-DS3
CPU - C2D E4300
RAM - 2x1GB A-Data DDR2 800
HDD - WD Caviar SE16 250 GB
Media - Samsumng DVD-RW w/ Lightscrible
PSU - Corsair 520HX

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
signature bud..... its how OEM's keep track of their copies of an OS to make sure they dont go to any other system. one copy - one machine

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the case now, but the CD that came with dell's were set up to only install when a dell motherboard was present, so you can change everything but the mobo, but the mobo, must be a dell.

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
so wait, did you actually install the OS? and if you did when you went back and it said press any key to boot from disc or what not, you dont have to since you already installed windows. Well anyway as raven said, M$ makes their product keys from a computer that calculates a code based on your hardware, so any hardware change (obviously yours) will need a new code, i had this problem and all i did, was i got to desktop and it asked me to activate windows, and i couldn't since my key was for my old HP machine, so i called by phone, described to him that i got a hardware change, he issued me a new key and everything was done and easy.

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
dell and hp oems will install on any pc but, once there installed on a dell or hp or any pc really they wont reinstall on another board, even if you just upgraded your mobo in that machine it wouldnt re install unless you call and get a sympathy vote.

The difference is though if you load it on a dell it doesnt ask you to enter the serial # it does it itself, if you have a dell copy that hasnt been installed and you put it on a home built it will have you enter the #.

thats the main thing I found when buying oem and not wanting to spend 300$ for an os, if you rebuild a lot of have a few pcs, etc.. then it might be worth it to buy full retail so you dont have to re purchase oem's once a year or so.
I just bought new oems of xp pro, xp home and vista ultimate 64, all three for under 300$ but now I want to be selective about where I install them, and make sure im not planning on upgrading in 6 months lol.

Lump

MattJD

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
so wait, did you actually install the OS? and if you did when you went back and it said press any key to boot from disc or what not, you dont have to since you already installed windows.

I installed it, and when the computer rebooted XP didn't start up. It booted directly from the cd again and went through the fresh install. I did it again, then tried to boot from the hard disk and it just kept restarting immediately. A few months ago I put a new hard drive in the Dell, so I know how this should work and it's certainly not.

Broke down and bought Vista Home Premium 32-bit yesterday. I wanted 64 bit but am not confident in driver support, and know there are drivers for my hardware that support 32-bit. Hopefully that solves the issue.

Thanks for the input.

MattJD

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Sharp, thanks for the input. While I will make some first-time builder mistakes, that is not one of them. As I said, a few months back a I put a new hard drive in the Dell system and went through this process successfully. My problem was not that the disk was left in at the wrong time.