Latitude XT - New OS

boomboxuk

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hey there

Was just looking for some general advice on any 'free' os that can be recommended.

Ive had an old Dell Latitude XT for about a year now, an it has had W7 on it but been sluggish for a long time so wanted to look for something more fitting for the build?

Ive searched an searched an the amount of free os now has become so large that i dont know where to start:)

So any advice would be appreciated, just looking for a lightwieght os, browsing, online flash games but most importantly getting the touchscreen to work with it!!

Thanks in advance

BBox

For lightweight Linux, I can't recommend Xubuntu highly enough (Ubuntu's official Xfce edition). I'm on a Core i7 that runs KDE with ease, but I choose to use Xubuntu anyway.

Xfce is lightweight, looks great and hugely customisable. And Ubuntu is a really solid foundation to build on with massive software repositories and the fewest bugs/glitches of any distro I've tried.

Worth pointing out though that if Windows 7 used to run fine and has only slowed down recently, surely all you need is a fresh install?

boomboxuk

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hey guys thanks for the response...

I'll have a look at those ones youve mentioned, but ive had a cple of probs with DL vanilla ubuntu before with everytime it becoming corrupted for some reason but i'll look an see whats what..

I just tried an install of jolicloud last night and everything worked straight out of the box on that one an it runs pretty smoothly..

Also the prob with windows 7 has always been there:) Dual core 1.3Ghz & 2GB just werent cutting it:) I just havent wanted to mess about it with it that much due to knowing it can have issues getting the touchscreen to work on various os..

I'll check those others out now..TY!! :)

Pleasure :) Re corruption, it's pretty standard to supply a checksum value with Linux ISOs, either an MD5 sum or SHA1. You could download winmd5sum or winsha1sum and check the values to confirm no corruption. Some distros are pretty bad at updating the checksum values when a new release comes out, but Ubuntu will be up-to-date. Vanilla Ubuntu isn't a great choice for lightweight anyway though. Let us know how you go with it (or stick with Jolicloud if you like it!).