Which version of linux is best for me?

G

I am tired of crappy windows vista and in search of a new os and decided to give linux ubuntu try. What a huge wase of time! It's complicated. There are no main stream apps, you can't download anything, it's slow, and freezes all the time. I spent hours on the fourms looking for fixes to bugs! I don't like having an os do trying to do everything for me. I need something that is stable, nice looking, and easy to use.

I will be using my pc mosty for web browsing, downloading music, watching videos, and playing games. Can anyone reccomend a version of linux that will suit me?

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
You may find SolusOS to your liking. Distros have strong points, trade-offs, appeal to one user but not another. Glad to hear you are getting away from the pane!
Don't give up just because ubuntu does not live up to its hype!
Welcome!

+1 to ijack - none will be much good for gaming, unless you're happy to limit yourself to a small selection of open-source games and whatever Linux ports come by way of Steam. There are some excellent open-source games (Nexuiz and Blob Wars especially) but you're not gonna get the selection you're used to in Windows.

And Ubuntu really is dead simple to use - if you think it's complicated then Windows is definitely your best bet, or learning Linux (there's really very little to learn just for basic needs like browsing, installing software etc). I'd personally prefer to learn Linux AND keep Windows but that's not for everybody.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
LK:

Welcome to Toms & to Linux. Yeah yeah I'm an Ubuntu guy. You're gonna love it .. in about a year. And after that year of discovery your personal computing experience continues to gain deeper strength. Too bad (currently) about lack of games.

johndl

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

I'm the same as you. I had Ubuntu 12, Now I have Linux Mint 14. Its great and it dos it all very nice. I also went on UTUBE and watched Ubuntu & Mint tutorials. Now I feel very comfortable. Good as Windows

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
If you are trying to replicate the Windows experience, you should try Linux Mint. It has a more traditional desktop with a start button and menus that look very similar to Windows 7 (except everything is green and black).

Also, if you want a minimum of bugs, Debian is known as the most stable distribution. I don't have any firsthand experience with it, but my impression is that it will be similar to Linux Mint, but with a smaller selection of applications (only those that are known to be completely free of bugs).

I personally think you are kidding yourself if you think that Windows is any easier to use or free of problems. Have you never had a virus?

In any case, if you want a free version of Windows you are out of luck, so you either need to adjust to Linux or pay Bill Gates some money.

I've spent quite a lot of time on Debian and it's an excellent distribution, though not totally bug-free. Ubuntu (despite being built on Debian) is the most stable I've tried. Not perfect bug-wise, but not far off. Mint I've found to be pretty glitchy, but I've only tried a couple of versions (13 fairly recently and 9/10 a while ago).

Debian is a bit dated-looking initially, but can look pretty sleek with some customisation. Grab the Alphacube Metacity window style with Mist controls, black cursors, semi-transparent panels, and URW Gothic L as default font and you've got a pretty sweet looking system :)

redit

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Ubuntu was pretty bad straight out of the box for me. I found a few tweaks that'll get it going smoothly. I use Bodhilinux on lightly worked laptops. I'm actually a big fan of Enlightenment 17 and Bodhi's stripped down get just what you want ideology. Alas, a segmentation fault made me give up on it for my work horse PC.

I think KDE in Mint is gorgeous, but Mint doesn't seem as capable as Ubuntu.

redit

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

Yes it is. Maybe it's just me, but Ubuntu's quirks seem easier to fix. KDE Mint is beautiful and very customizable. I've just had better luck with Ubuntu.

For example, KDE Mint won't save my dual monitor settings. It also feels fat and slow, but then again so does my Ubuntu until I've tweaked it a little.

Maybe "capable" was a bad word choice.