I'm lookin' for a quick rundown of coding langauges to make these websites:
1. youtube - users can post their own content (images or videos)
2. facebook - users can create profiles and put info and descriptions
3. ebay - people can post auctions
4. neweggs.com - people can purchse online and have a basket to list products they want to buy
5. digg - most popular stories go on front page
6. tom's hardware forums - custom forum like tom's
I'd like to learn some coding and need some orientation.
Most of the websites you listed above use PHP. It's pretty popular Heck, even my developer used a variant of it to code Spectograph (a side project of mine), and Facebook recently came out with their own variant of PHP.
I started learning HTML and CSS. It seems HTML is the where you put page design information and data whereas CSS is the glasses you use to see the site in a common theme (defining font colors, family, text size, things like that).
I guess this leaves PHP to do all the nifty tricks like accounts, uploading images, forums etc. Correct? Can php replace html and css entirely or do we use all 3?