Activation after reinstall windows problem

G

Here's the problem: a family member had some nasty viruses on his pc that didn't allow him to get into windows anymore. So I reinstalled windows xp completely on his pc with a full format etc. He bought the computer second hand and didn't get a license key with it, because I couldn't get in to windows I couldn't retrieve anything.

So I used a key I found on the internet, but now I'm stuck at the activation process. Somehow it cant find my internet connection so activation via the internet doesn't work. I tried calling microsoft by phone with the numbers they give you there but both numbers dont work (im in malta).

does anyone have any idea how to solve this??

proedros

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
You cant just find a key over the internet and then call microsoft for the activation. Propably its a pirated key.
Windows without sticker even second handed Microsoft will handle it as pirated because the is no proof that you have purchase it legally.
So no sticker no activation.

ahhgeez

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Sounds like someone forgot to put the Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Sticker on the computer.

Another One Bites The Dust

G

yeps that's true. I asked the person who the computer belonged to to call the organization where he bought it from and try to obtain the original official license. It's an organization from the government btw...so they 'should' do things legal!

In the end I managed by formatting and reinstalling again..somehow this second time I didnt get stuck at the activation part. Weird.

proedros

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
No weird at all.If you have a pirated copy of windows and, as you say, you found the key on the internet, the copy probably has deactivated the registration option or the key is legit and because it belonged to someone else you registered it a second time .You 'll find it out if the key is legit if you enable the windows update.It will be wise that you purchase a legal copy of Windows (with the sticker this time).

proedros

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
No weird at all.If you have a pirated copy of windows and, as you say, you found the key on the internet, the copy probably has deactivated the registration option or the key is legit and because it belonged to someone else you registered it a second time .You 'll find it out if the key is legit if you enable the windows update.It will be wise that you purchase a legal copy of Windows (with the sticker this time).