Sign in with
Your question

Spool service not running

Last response: in Windows XP
March 8, 2009 3:47:07 PM

hello folks i have a very irritating problem that i have had for about two months now.

im running xp 64 bit with , 8500, gigabyte MB, 4 gig of ram.

for some reason i cannot get the spool service to run, every time i start it it shuts right back off.

it is set to automatic and there are no print drivers on this machine in fact i just did a complete reload of the op system.

so i was thinking that would cure the problem.

it did not, i cannot get it to start up, i have searched the web high and low and i have tried everything.

i just bought a new hp cp 1215 lazer printer, and it works fine on my other computers.

i have two laptops that i print thru a network thru a usb hub and i use this new printer and it works great.

but i could not get it to work on this desk top.

as i said i did a dump and reformat of the hard drive and loaded xp 64 back on it and tried to load the printer and it could not due to print spooler not running.

i did however saw a problem in the RPC.

it is greyed out in the automatic section im not for sure what that means or if that means anything.

when i was in the print spooler service i went to dependencies and it says its depende on the RPC.

so right now it looks like this Xp 64 bit software cannot run a spool service.

also im running AVG virus software , not for sure if that means anything.

would like to get this printer up and running on this system.

Thanks for any help..........Robert

More about : spool service running

March 8, 2009 4:06:05 PM

In the event viewer there must be a error number why the service dont start .
If it is "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." try this.
This will remove all Print Spooler service dependencies other than the Remote Procedure Call service.
Click Start, Run and enter sc config spooler depend= RPCSS (there must be a space after "=" but not before it.)
By removing the other dependencies the Print Spooler service should be able to run, but the printer functionality may be affected, and it may be necessary to reinstall the printer drivers.
m
l
March 8, 2009 8:43:19 PM

thanks for the reply , im not for sure where this event viewer is but i tried that option also and that did not work.

as i said its set on automatic and when i go to the start button it will run for about a second and then go back to start.

when i go to dependencies it says: this service depends on the following system components.
and in the box there is the : Romote Procedure Call (RPC).

everything is from scratch , i have realoaded everything .

im not for sure what to do next other than just do without it on this computer, but i would really like to fix this problem.

i have got to be missing something , firewall, anti virus, etc. i just dont know.

Thanks....Robert
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 29, 2009 2:26:10 PM

I am also having this problem. At first it said that RPC was not available and so I changed it to logon local and it is running but I have no control over it. After that I tried to install a printer but the printer spooler is not running. When I try to start the print spooler it starts for about 4 seconds and then stops. Nothing I can do will get it to stay running. I have NOT installed any printer drivers yet. My thoughts are that RPC is not right which is why the spooler starts and then stops.
m
l
May 18, 2009 5:23:29 PM

I have re-installed XP 64 SP/2 to try to fix this and it did not work. So when I try to install a printer it says the Printer Spooler is not running. When I go into services and try to start the Printer SPooler it runs for about 2 seconds and then quits (I am not sure it really runs). This is all related to the RPC or Remote Procedure Call service. I have tried the Microsoft "FIXIT" applet to no avail.

I love running xp 64 as it is quick and very responsive (and it starts up much faster too!). But I am unable to print which is a major pain in the you know what.

If anyone has any other ideas out there I would sure like to know!

THanks
m
l
January 4, 2010 10:02:13 PM

I had that problem for a few days, on xp 32 however. I read somewhere that by deleting two type of files the problem will go away. The article mentioned something about temporary folders. Did a search for all files with the extensions .SHD and .SPL
Using *.SHD and *.SPL and I found two files in the directory windows/system32, they look like temp files they were (in my case) FP00000.SDH and FP00000.SPL so I deleted the two and reboot my PC... no problem after that. Regards
m
l
July 17, 2012 2:44:43 AM

ric_39 said:
I had that problem for a few days, on xp 32 however. I read somewhere that by deleting two type of files the problem will go away. The article mentioned something about temporary folders. Did a search for all files with the extensions .SHD and .SPL
Using *.SHD and *.SPL and I found two files in the directory windows/system32, they look like temp files they were (in my case) FP00000.SDH and FP00000.SPL so I deleted the two and reboot my PC... no problem after that. Regards

THIS worked for ME.. Thanks a lot friend.. Thanks a lot. Having searching answers for 1 hour , i found these 2 files (different names of course) ,and deleted it and didnt even restart the pc. Just started the spooler again and printers appeared in the Control Panel . :bounce: 

m
l
!