Sign in with
Your question

Recent (Apr 2009) 64 bit remarks?

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 20, 2009 11:18:08 PM

There have not been any comments about 32 bit vs 64 bit in over a year. I'm thinking of getting new HP notepad style laptop for daughter for college. Now that we are well into 2009, are 64 bit compatibility issues still a concern?
April 21, 2009 1:07:12 AM

64 is just about mainstream now, tiny pockets of incompatibility may still exist but your chances of running into them are slim
m
l
April 21, 2009 1:10:26 AM

Simple answer? With a modern system, like 'Vista ready' designated type advertising, Vista 64 compatibility issues are pretty much non existant. If you have an old system with old MB, poor driver support, outdated wireless cards, old printers from Windows '95 daz, software from 1992 before Vista was even a thought, yeah...you are going to have compatibility issues running old, poorly supported hardware with non existant Vista 64 drivers on your Vista 64 system. This topic has been discussed at length on this Forum since Vista's release well over two years ago.
m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2009 1:12:30 AM

notherdude said:
64 is just about mainstream now, tiny pockets of incompatibility may still exist but your chances of running into them are slim

thanks, and I also found some recent feedback that I missed earlier. I got a smokin deal on new laptap for daughter and I hope she'll learn to like Vista 64-bit since she's only used to XP. Grow little grasshopper, grow! <wink>
m
l
April 21, 2009 1:15:45 AM

Sorry for double post. Not sure how that happened. All our stuff is pretty current and I've included a new printer in daughter's package, so she should be good to go! Gawd knows... she's more 'puter literate than me.....
m
l
April 21, 2009 1:27:28 AM

Yeah, be sure to install Vista SP1 if that SP is not included on yur install disk. Fixs a lot of known issues and has some tweaks to making your system hardware run better. Check the product page for your system or MB for any Vista 64 drivers available. The new printer should have a Vista 64 bit driver avilable. I still have some old printers and scanners from the Windows '95 days. One printer doesn't even have an XP driver. '98 only. XP has a system driver that runs it, but Vista will not. That's the kind of thing I was referring to. If something (hardware) is not supported by Vista 64, no driver issued, then you will have to get a new one taht will work on there. Easy as that. So, the laptop came with Vista 64 installed? That's even better.
m
l
!