ali_b71

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Hello,

i have recently been getting cpu spikes.

i play and online fps game called counter strike source.. i bought a laptop which could handle it, i have been getting 100fps up untill i get these cpu spikes... just randomly i get a huge cpu spike which makes my fps go down to about 10... if i want a couple of minutes then minimise and then maximise it sorts the problem for about 5 minutes... i have no idea whats wrong with it because i have changed anything on my laptop.. there is about 30Gb free on the hard drive and i just installed new graphics card drivers but its still happening,,

Do you have any ideas or suggestions to help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Ali

ali_b71

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
emm i just used sisoftware do get the spec..

Processor
Model : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
Speed : 1.66GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Mobile, Dual-Core
Internal Data Cache : 2x 32kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way set, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 1x 2MB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Mainboard
Platform Compliance : Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
Bus(es) : PCI PCIe CardBus USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 Processor(s)
MP APIC : No
System BIOS : INSYDE 255.255
System : INSYDE H2O
Mainboard : Intel Corp. Base Board Product Name
Total Memory : 1023MB DDR2-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Mitac 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 166MHz (664MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 1GB DDR2-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 4x 166MHz (664MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor
Monitor/Panel : Generic Television
Adapter : ATI Mobility Radeon X1600

Physical Storage Devices
Hard Disk : FUJITSU MHV2080BH (75GB)
CD-ROM/DVD : SONY DVD RW DW-Q520A (CD 24X Rd, 24X Wr) (DVD 3X Rd, 3X Wr)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 71GB (34GB, 48% Free Space) (NTFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A

Peripherals
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB 2.0 Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
PCMCIA/CardBus Controller : Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Keyboard : HID Keyboard Device
Mouse : Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
Mouse : Logitech HID-compliant G3/MX518 Optical Mouse
Mouse : HID-compliant mouse
Human Interface : HID-compliant consumer control device
Human Interface : HID-compliant consumer control device
Human Interface : HID-compliant device
Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device

Communication Device(s)
Device : HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Printers and Faxes
Model : Auto HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C on BLACK
Model : Auto Auto HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C on ALI on BLACK

Network Printers
Model : \\BLACK\HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line
Battery No 1 : 100%

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional Media Center 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
Platform Compliance : Win32 x86

Network Services
Adapter : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Adapter : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

ali_b71

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
ive done lots of virus scans but ill do another to make sure.. emm what sort of background tasks should i close... do u mean end them in task manager? if so how do i no what ones to close?

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
i had something like that before, and i found out it was a virus, and what i did was just reformat my hdd and reinstalled Windows and it was all good

ali_b71

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
ye thats what im going to do next i guess... only problem is when i bought the laptop it only came with a recovery disk :( ive got a windows xp home disk but my laptop has a media centre serial key.. i take it i cant use that with xp home?

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
you cant use XP Home disc on a Windows Media Center key, the laptop should have a ELSA Partition which holds all your OS Disc, and Drivers,

you can see this parition under Disk Management, and you also need to know how to burn these things onto a CD or boot from ELSA partition

good luck :)

ali_b71

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
hey, i just checked the disk management thing.. i have two partictions. a normal one and one with the file system "FAT32" and the status says, "Healthy (EISA Configuration)"

is that the one u are tlaking abouit?

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
You could call manufacture for Installation CDs. They'll usually give it for you for free if you pay for the shipping. If you're desperate enough for a Windows XP home edition and don't want to pay for the shipping fee, just download a copy of windows xp MCE off www.isohunt.com. You don't break the law if you're using your own serial number.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
well sir, you need some anti-virus & anti-spyware programs to prevent them from entering, or else you'll have to keep reformatting your drives over and over and over

:?

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Normally, what i would do to prevent virus is to use VM to emulate another copy of windows. I would make another copy of the VM file incase i need to reinstall the emulated OS again. Nobody cares if your emulated OS gets virus because you can just deleted the existing emulated virus and copy and paste your backup copy. All it takes is 5 minutes to install an OS that way and you'll most likely not get any virus in your host system which you can use for fast gaming and other stuff.