Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7770

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 10, 2013 10:26:43 PM

I am going to use linux for my build but I am wondering how well the drivers for the asus Radeon hd 7770 work?

More about : radeon 7770

February 11, 2013 12:13:08 AM

That is the card that I'm using. Not sure how it stacks up against others but I'm averaging about 120-130 FPS in Counter-Strike Source. I have never compared it to Windows so it's hard to say if that is good or not.
m
l
February 11, 2013 12:04:45 PM

AMD's Linux drivers suck.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_...

And forget Catalyst for BSD. nVidia/Nouveau is the way to go for BSD if you wanted to give it a try. I've given up on it until I replace my Radeon with a GeForce (probably won't be for a while). Performance-wise, nVidia drivers actually manage to keep up with Windows performance in Linux:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubun...

Like dmroeder points out though, there's nothing really cutting-edge graphically on Linux interms of games, so maybe it doesn't really matter anyway if you're sure you don't want to try FreeBSD. But the state of the drivers does mean a GTX650 would perform better.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 5:17:01 AM

The proprietary drivers are getting better. I have catalyst 13.1 on my Ubuntu 12.04.1 setup (with a 6850). the install isn't to hard if you use the "automated" method from terminal ... it's a bit complicated doing it manually and I HIGHLY discourage trying it if you are new to Linux. Nvidia drivers are a lot better supported, but AMD IS making an effort. hdmi audio didn't use to work, but as of 12.11 it was working flawlessly (for me). I also don't recommend FreeBSD or any variant until you know a little more. I don't know what your uses are but Ubuntu 12.04 is good starting point. It will be supported for 5 years, 2017. Plus the Steam client is now on the Ubuntu software center. Desura is available too. I play WoW, SW:TOR, and battleforge (BF has some issues though) using WINE/PlayOnLinux and get decent fps on High settings (avg 50-60+). minecraft runs awesome. Steam for Linux runs good, I run windows steam using Wine/POL and it's hit and miss which games run. the ones that do run work good, 60+ fps.

The HD 7770 should work good though, my HD 6850 does.
m
l
February 16, 2013 7:33:01 AM

Yeah driver installation could be more user-friendly (why not add it to the repos?) but was problem-free for me. Just follow some simple instructions. I expect nVidia drivers would install in a similar way. My point above is that nVidia are already matching Windows performance on the same hardware, while AMD hardware is massively underperforming relative to its Windows performance. A lot of that Radeon muscle is going to waste under AMD's Linux drivers.

That said, when it's 100fps versus 150fps, it doesn't really matter. So it depends on how demanding the games are gonna be (the current Steam lineup isn't too demanding, who knows about the future) or if you want to fire up the supersampling etc to take advantage of that framerate excess (not sure if SSAA is accessible though on nVidia's Linux drivers).
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 16, 2013 3:05:07 PM

ATI drivers suck even more when they randomly decide to depreciate your card into the non updated 'legacy' driver, like for example my 4850. I can no longer use it on modern distrobutions with out patching the kernel and rolling back xorg to v1.12 :|
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:52:28 PM

Same with my 4870. They're not great for dual-GPU cards in Linux either - every distro I've used considers the second GPU on my 5970 to be a soundcard and sets it as my default audio device.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 16, 2013 3:55:23 PM

sam_p_lay said:
.. every distro I've used considers the second GPU on my 5970 to be a soundcard and sets it as my default audio device.

That is actually expected behavior, and not ATIs driver at all, as audio can be sent over HDMI. It is the ALSA driver and It is very easy to fix by either fixing audio device #s or by simply blacklisting that module from loading
m
l
February 16, 2013 4:57:50 PM

skittle said:
That is actually expected behavior, and not ATIs driver at all, as audio can be sent over HDMI. It is the ALSA driver and It is very easy to fix by either fixing audio device #s or by simply blacklisting that module from loading

I didn't say it's a problem that needs fixing. It made Linux a bit less user-friendly for me initially, but I learnt where to set default audio device in each distribution. It could be a problem for a beginner - another thing that doesn't work quite right out of the box. Anyway, you don't need a dual-GPU card to output audio over HDMI, yet it's only a dual-GPU card that causes this behaviour. Linux doesn't assume a single-GPU card is also a sound card, it simply uses the motherboard's onboard audio, just like Windows would.
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:52:58 PM

skittle said:
ATI drivers suck even more when they randomly decide to depreciate your card into the non updated 'legacy' driver, like for example my 4850. I can no longer use it on modern distrobutions with out patching the kernel and rolling back xorg to v1.12 :|

I know what you mean there, I have hd 4000 series on my laptop and it required lots of tinkering ... granted I did enjoy the tinkering at the time.
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:59:59 PM

sam_p_lay said:
I didn't say it's a problem that needs fixing. It made Linux a bit less user-friendly for me initially, but I learnt where to set default audio device in each distribution. It could be a problem for a beginner - another thing that doesn't work quite right out of the box. Anyway, you don't need a dual-GPU card to output audio over HDMI, yet it's only a dual-GPU card that causes this behaviour. Linux doesn't assume a single-GPU card is also a sound card, it simply uses the motherboard's onboard audio, just like Windows would.

in a distro like Ubuntu it's really not difficult to change the default audio. I use 12.04 with an hd6850 for the "family gamer/htpc" and I have to switch between the mobo audio and the hdmi audio on video card often. On Ubuntu, at least, it's about the same as switching on Windows 7. That being said I don't like sound quality through hdmi on Ubuntu, sounds much better (to me) on windows. Not sure if its pulseaudio or what but I have to add more "effects" to make music sound "natural".
m
l
a b 5 Linux
February 17, 2013 5:01:30 PM

sam_p_lay said:
...Linux doesn't assume a single-GPU card is also a sound card, it simply uses the motherboard's onboard audio, just like Windows would.

Again, it is nothing to do with dual-gpu or ATI drivers, ALSA detects the HDMI sink by its self even on single GPU installations. I have a single ati 4850, and guess what it is detected as a sound output device!
  1. [skittle@skittle-arch ~]$ aplay -l
  2. **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
  3. card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  4. Subdevices: 1/1
  5. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  6. card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  7. Subdevices: 1/1
  8. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  9. card 1: CMI8770 [C-Media CMI8770], device 0: CMI8738-MC8 [C-Media PCI DAC/ADC]
  10. Subdevices: 1/1
  11. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  12. card 1: CMI8770 [C-Media CMI8770], device 1: CMI8738-MC8 [C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]
  13. Subdevices: 1/1
  14. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  15. card 1: CMI8770 [C-Media CMI8770], device 2: CMI8738-MC8 [C-Media PCI IEC958]
  16. Subdevices: 1/1
  17. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  18. card 2: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  19. Subdevices: 1/1
  20. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:51:18 PM

skittle said:
Again, it is nothing to do with dual-gpu or ATI drivers, ALSA detects the HDMI sink by its self even on single GPU installations. I have a single ati 4850, and guess what it is detected as a sound output device!
  1. [skittle@skittle-arch ~]$ aplay -l
  2. **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
  3. card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  4. Subdevices: 1/1
  5. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  6. card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  7. Subdevices: 1/1
  8. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  9. card 1: CMI8770 [C-Media CMI8770], device 0: CMI8738-MC8 [C-Media PCI DAC/ADC]
  10. Subdevices: 1/1
  11. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  12. card 1: CMI8770 [C-Media CMI8770], device 1: CMI8738-MC8 [C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]
  13. Subdevices: 1/1
  14. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  15. card 1: CMI8770 [C-Media CMI8770], device 2: CMI8738-MC8 [C-Media PCI IEC958]
  16. Subdevices: 1/1
  17. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  18. card 2: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  19. Subdevices: 1/1
  20. Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Fine, the default audio device. You know exactly what I'm talking about (I used the word 'default' more than once) so stop being pedantic. I do own a single-GPU card, dual-GPU card and quite a few distros so I know exactly what happens with them.
m
l
!