ckburnham

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
I just got my computer up and running about 3 hours ago and specifically bought it to OC. This would be my first time ever OC'ing a computer and was wondering how soon I could get started in the process. Do I need to let the CPU go through any burn in stage of heating, then cooling, etc. or is it OK to start OC'ing now? Thanks for the help!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I just got my computer up and running about 3 hours ago and specifically bought it to OC. This would be my first time ever OC'ing a computer and was wondering how soon I could get started in the process. Do I need to let the CPU go through any burn in stage of heating, then cooling, etc. or is it OK to start OC'ing now? Thanks for the help!
Yeah, i don't "wait" specifically. I install the CPU, run it through all my favorite benches(lots....probably 20 or more)to get a baseline@ stock...to compare to....then i start O/Cing. So, it's usually within 2-3 hours of installing. :) I don't just crank it though, i do it incrementally(while benching and recording my results)...i usually find the limit within 2-3 days(messing with different memory configurations to find the best results takes time too). GL :)

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
I generaly wait until the system is set up, all drivers updated and loaded, os, etc.. and running normal with no issues, all hardware everything showing up and working as it should, then I begin.

normally build, check bios flash if necessary, set basic bios functions and boot order, load os, update os, load all drivers necessary, add any programs for benchmarking, or testing, etc.. and start benchmarking for results and reference from stock normal running condition, temps are recorded, scores from various tests, etc..

then maybe a game or two loaded as well to use for real world tests.
After all that I begin pushing the clocks and watching the temps, I start with the cpu and fsb/memory, once I establish those parameters I then go to the gpu and push it a little too, depending on how the sytem overclock affected the bus speed to the card, but I am not familiar yet with pcie comapred to agp so that will be all knew for me.

Anyway I think doing it this way you can remove the guess work and have a reference for performance analysis and a good record of what your optimal settings were for the best overall system performance while remaining perfectly stable.

Good luck.

Lump

chowner

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Why would you wanna OC your computer? This is something that always boggles my mind. With Apples they just work you don't have to Spray Pepper spray on them to make them run better! Why do all you guys spray OC on your computers?

for a CPU? I'd run a few benches and play a few games to test if out. Make sure its not over heating or the HeatSink is loose or something. Then OC a bit. Run it for a week or two at a moderate OC. Then up it a little bit and try again. Here is what I did actually with my e6400.

Stock 2.13GHZ for a week to check stability and not a dud.
OCED to 2.8GHZ for 2 weeks or so. Then upped to 3GHz. Actually I ran this for about 3 months then got a new cooler and am sittnig at 3.2GHz now. You can really OC right outta the box after you make sure the system works, I just wouldnt push the limits off the bat until the thermal compound has set a while.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Why would you wanna OC your computer? This is something that always boggles my mind. With Apples they just work you don't have to Spray Pepper spray on them to make them run better! Why do all you guys spray OC on your computers?

This gives you a 10% OC. 8O
PS2-10.jpg

Burn through all your benchmarks. :twisted:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
haha. The n00b OC can, I like it.

I personally OC as soon as XP is working as a previous poster said. Install driver updates, windows updates, BIOS updates, blah blah blah. Test the base thermals and then waste the next 2-3 days (typical board) or 6-8 days (DFI boards) OC'ing.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I personally recommend stressing your computer at stock to be sure everything is stable before you OC. Just make sure everything works before you OC or you may have an issue that you think is a faulty OC when its acually a faulty component.